Pet Travel

DRMiszLuisa

Jun 28, 2009
I need help. I have a big dog to be exact a German Shepard about 160 pound. I been searching for an airline that will accept my dog to travel to the dominican republic and had no luck finding one. If anyone has an airline or anything that can help me I would really appreciate it. Thank You

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Most will take him. I know Continental will, but he has o be in a crate and goes with baggaage, in a presurize compartment. They also have time restrictions, because of heat. This is from the US. If rfom Eur. I don't know.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
You don't say where you are traveling from or to where in the DR but here are two sets of guidelines with c ontact numbers to help you get started:

Continental Airlines - Procedures for Animal Shippers

www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml

I also recall that others who have checked this out reported that in the Summer (due to the heat) there was a temporary moratorium on animal shipments until it cooled down a bit. You could inquire with the airlines about this,

Gregg

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
continenal

brought my dog with them.... it went well but you will not be able to travel here with a dog in cargo int he summer. I had to bring my in october. also ifyou are traveling from somewhere cold they will have restrictions during the winter months.

pm me if you want more details

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Frozen Dog!

A friend of mine had his dog frozen to death in a Lan Chile flight from Chile to DR. They compensated him, but money does not cover something like that.

DRMiszLuisa

Jun 28, 2009
Dominican Republic Pets cannot be transported due to space constraints.

I Guess Continental is out of the picture :ermm:

nystateofmind

Aug 6, 2003
I was in DR about a month ago and bought a pure breed boxer puppy in Puerto Plata. I checked with Jet Blue on their requirements before arriving and it was pretty easy to bring my puppy back to NY with me. The total weight of the pet and carrying case had to be less than 20 lbs, you had to buy a "ticket" for them for $100.00, have papers from a vet showing the immunization record and that was it.

I carried my puppy on board with me and kept him in the carrying case under the seat in front of me. I actually took him out of the case and kept him on my lap for most of the flight.

It was a breeze leaving PP....I have been hassled more in the past with my regular luggage......and upon arrival at JFK.

I do not think that this helps much considering the size of your dog but maybe this info will be of use to others.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Dominican Republic Pets cannot be transported due to space constraints.

I Guess Continental is out of the picture :ermm:

I hired a pet transport company that pulled some strings and got my dog on.... but you cannot transport a dog into this country in the summer so you would have to wait until fall. the pet carrier company charged me $400 well worth it.... the coordinated everthing including getting past the no room in the plane. I was coming from Canada and my dog needed to overnight in New York before coming the next day.