DR company

V

Valerie

I got an offer to work in a company called ilanguage installed in Sosua. I would like to know if it is a legitime company and how is it posible to check the status of this company?
Also, is $1000(15000 Dpeso) a decent salary? Is that enough to live in Dominican Republic?

E

Ed

Let's put it this way. The minimum wage is RD2,600.00/month. Can you live on RD$15,000.00/month? Depends on your lifestyle. Decent Apts. (Hot water, Generator, etc. run between RD$4,000.00 and RD$7,000.00. As for food, in a lot of cases more expensive than in the US or Canada. Their offices are right accross the street from where I live and from what I hear are pretty well organized. Status unknown but haven't heard anything bad.
Eddy

B

braineo

That salary was good for 1971 or 1981.... don't do it unless you are used with living with US$1,000 in the US. ANother thing ... are you getting paid in US$ or in the colorful toilet paper they print there? That will make a significant difference

I committed the grave error of going there for US$20,000 in 1984 and I still regret it...

I'm glad to be back in the States after my lost 7 years down there. I suggest the only way to go there is (a) with an american company that can get you back out and provide your US style benefits, or (b) having much US$ moolah before going down there.

Good Luck!

M

Michael Bastin

It all depends of your way of life, but $RD16.000 is more than enough to live decently in Dom Rep. Never expect to find the same comfort as you would back home, the this is the way life is. This country as billions of things home doesn't offer. This company is as serious as you can get in this country. $1000 dollars is anyway what most university degree students get after college in Belgium, where I am from.
Money is not everything, the great way of life, the sun, the wonderful landscapes, the beach, the sea and the people is WAY more important.
Coming here is a challenge. But let me tell you I have been working here for 8 months and it's a lot of fun compared to my old job back home.