Mr. Lu Rides a Motorcycle...

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
After a week of training I was able to stay up on a bike!! Here are a few clips from my training, plus a write up of the event. I'd like to give a special thanks to Robert Cooper, and his wife Alida, for all their help.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mCRul-dU7BQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mCRul-dU7BQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

?Every true motorcyclist remembers the exact moment when they wanted to ride a bike.?

These were the first words Robert Cooper spoke to me as we began discussing the working details of riding motorcycles.

Robert, who runs MotoCaribe motorcycle tours, invited me up to Jarabacoa for a few days, to learn how to ride a bike. I went up expecting to learn how to shift gears and stay balanced on two wheels. What I got in return was a life changing experience.

My lessons started early Tuesday morning with a basic lesson on motorcycles and their components. Being a rookie rider I had many questions, many of which Robert answered quickly and concisely. We eventually went down to an open parking lot at La Confluencia. It was a big enough space where we could do some maneuvering and practice the basics.

We started our lessons very simply. I straddled the bike and walked with it, feeling the handles, the controls, the clutch and got a general feel for the bike. It was a bit humbling to ride a bike as if I were a 6 year old, but this experience proved to be the most insightful moment of the lessons. At each turn, Robert was right there to answer any questions, or offer his insight and experience.

During this first day we used a raggedy 125cc bike which needed to be kicked started! But we managed to get the handle of it. During this phase of our lessons I learned the details of controlling the clutch, break and throttle and how each related to each other.

With each rev of the engine I felt a bit more comfortable, a bit more empowered, a bit more alive. After a day and a half of practice we moved onto the Suzuki 650cc.

Eventually, after a day of practice and slow maneuvers Robert pushed me a bit and told me take the bike up the hill and give it a bit of juice. The thought of me giving the bike some ?power? scared me, to no end, but these lessons were just as much about riding a vehicle, as conquering the fears which had prevented me from learning how to ride years ago.

I pondered for a sec and got my self ready. I tightened my gloves, looked at the surrounding area and went for it. I eased up on the clutch, still a bit nervous about what I was attempting. But in an instant I had conquered years of hidden fears, had accomplished a long delayed goal and realized that being on two wheels was more than a thought for a dream induced Sunday afternoon.

I felt alive. Not the type of alive you feel when you get a shot at the doctors office. Or the type of alive you feel when you eat a double burger with cheese.

The deafening wind framed my bearded face, as a large smile penetrated the shield of my once fearful restraint. Things were clear, at least for an instant. I was in nature, not just a passenger within the cocooned confines of a car.

The greens and blues whizzed by, but the faster I rode the slower this seemed. The buzzing of the 650cc Suzuki engine was accompanied by the chorus of gears shifting. My hands and feet grabbed the clutch and breaks in a beautiful ballet of clunky metal. I was riding a bike.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey Lu, was this you on the autopista? (btw in mph not kmh)

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oqJbWiCxUc0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oqJbWiCxUc0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Let me know when you want to do a jaunt over the mountains to the north coast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Hey Lu, was this you on the autopista? (btw in mph not kmh)

YouTube - Suzuki Hayabusa - 240 MPH /390KPH

Let me know when you want to do a jaunt over the mountains to the north coast.

Jajajaj!! No man. Def not me, but that is scary fast! When I'm ready I'll let you know. I'd love to do a tour of the DR. I just need a few more hours of practice. It's addicting though. All I think about is bikes right now....

Mr. Lu

Reactions: Berzin

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Real nice report Mr. LU, real nice.

I know the feeling. There is something special about how just a twist of the wrist and you are in another world.

Safe bikin'

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Real nice report Mr. LU, real nice.

I know the feeling. There is something special about how just a twist of the wrist and you are in another world.

Safe bikin'

Thanks,

Being on a bike was incredible. I felt a sense of accomplishment because I finally took those firsts steps to becoming a good, safe and eventually experienced rider. There is nothing like being on two wheels!

Mr. Lu

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Good work. Mr. Lu!!!

Now you are ready to moonlight as a motoconcho!!!:cheeky:
(Just kidding, LOL!!!)

The hardest part is getting over the initial fear and developing the confidence to control the vehicle, as opposed to it controlling you.

Mr. Cooper seems to have put you at ease-that is the best trait an instructor can have.

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Nice video Mr. Lu, that Suzuki looks nice.

My only advice to you, is to wear a proper DOT helmet, eye protection(Goggles) & gloves. Safety first!

Ricardo
1982 Honda CB50

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I love my life

Good work. Mr. Lu!!!

Now you are ready to moonlight as a motoconcho!!!:cheeky:
(Just kidding, LOL!!!)

The hardest part is getting over the initial fear and developing the confidence to control the vehicle, as opposed to it controlling you.

Mr. Cooper seems to have put you at ease-that is the best trait an instructor can have.

I'd never do the motoconcho thing. Them guys are crazy!!!!! After learning some of the basics, with an emphasis on bike safety, and reading as much as I can, it's incredible to see the danger the concho guys put themselves in. Robert was great when it came to teaching. Had plenty experience to answer all questions and knew exactly how to explain complex details so a novice could understand. So in that regard I was very lucky.

Safety was very important and about 70% of what we discussed was safety. During parking lot riding thing were a bit lax, considering the speed. But on the road, when I rode passenger, DOT helmets were on at all times. With gloves and the proper riding materials.

I love it....

Mr. Lu

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You were an excellent student, Mr. Lu. Some folks are just naturals.

I enjoyed the days you spent with us. Come on up any time and let's ride!

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Wow, I'm a little bit envious

Great video report Mr. Lu. I'm a bit envious as well as impressed with your courage to concur your desire to learn to ride. I, too, have had a very long-standing desire to learn to ride a motorcycle and let my "locs" fly. When I was a young teen with my first job, I expressed my desire to my Dad, who in turn put a stop to it by making me start to pay him rent (smile). I know he just wanted to make sure I stayed on this earth for years to come and I love him for that. Now that I'm a lot older, this yearning to learn to ride and own my own bike is still with me, but my fear is stopping me. I guess in my youth, I was more than eager to ignore fear, but now, well, let's just say I'm still working my way back to that youthful state of mind. The other day, I even went into a bike shop to look around but they were getting ready to close so I didn't get to ask any questions.

Anyway, just posting my thoughts and wanted to say I'm happy you've attacked your apprehensions and can now call yourself a "bike rider". Have fun and be safe. By the way, I'm a girl (not that this makes any difference these days).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I told you before you went up there, Robert is a porfession in everything he does. He worked on this business plan for years before coming down here with the "Ts" crossed and the "Is" dotted...
You did very well, and you have my congratulations....
those V-stroms are impressive indeed....

Congrats to Robert!! and Alida...

HB

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Great video report Mr. Lu. I'm a bit envious as well as impressed with your courage to concur your desire to learn to ride. I, too, have had a very long-standing desire to learn to ride a motorcycle and let my "locs" fly. When I was a young teen with my first job, I expressed my desire to my Dad, who in turn put a stop to it by making me start to pay him rent (smile). I know he just wanted to make sure I stayed on this earth for years to come and I love him for that. Now that I'm a lot older, this yearning to learn to ride and own my own bike is still with me, but my fear is stopping me. I guess in my youth, I was more than eager to ignore fear, but now, well, let's just say I'm still working my way back to that youthful state of mind. The other day, I even went into a bike shop to look around but they were getting ready to close so I didn't get to ask any questions.

Anyway, just posting my thoughts and wanted to say I'm happy you've attacked your apprehensions and can now call yourself a "bike rider". Have fun and be safe. By the way, I'm a girl (not that this makes any difference these days).

You should get on a bike. The fear is tough. I know what it means. The age might help, but to be honest it felt good to finally ride. It was everything I thought it would be and more. I never want to have the regret of saying "why didn't I learn to ride."

I was lucky, since Robert knew what was going on. There was a comfort in that the instructor knew what he was doing. So I could trust his instructions, even if I was very scared.

I say do it. Always focus on safety. Start small and with some one you trust.

And Hillbilly was right. Robert was the consummate professional at all times. Like I said, it made take those leaps easier, since I trusted his suggestions and comments at all times.

Two wheels are for me. I have SOOO much to learn. But I am so excited to learn it all. I love it!!!

Mr. Lu

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Cool!

I've seen a couple of your other video posts. If you're not involved with or running your own production company down there, you should be.

CJ

Last edited:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Cool!

I've seen a couple of your other video posts. If you're not involved with or running your own production company down there, you should be.

CJ

Thanks!,

I appreciate the support. I am independent. Mostly as a hobby. I just enjoy experiencing new things and learning about this city/country and sharing it with people who live/visit here and only have a chance to see a glimpse of what we see.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
You should get on a bike. The fear is tough. I know what it means. The age might help, but to be honest it felt good to finally ride. It was everything I thought it would be and more. I never want to have the regret of saying "why didn't I learn to ride." ......

Two wheels are for me. I have SOOO much to learn. But I am so excited to learn it all. I love it!!!

Mr. Lu

Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence. I've put it near the top of my list of things to accomplish in the not too distant future. Unfortunately, I'm no longer living in the DR (as of last November) so it's not going to be the same. There's so much I didn't get to experience while living there and now it's too late. But I got a tip the other day from a gentleman rider at my health club as to where I can get some instruction (it's a community college), in order to see if riding is truly for me (not that I doubt it), and exactly what type of riding I'd be doing. I can also get a feel for the type of bike best suited for me before buying one. In any case, when the time comes, I'll be sure to tell you all about my experience. Keep riding and lovin' it Mr. Lu!

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Never get over confident, my friend. That on a bike will get you killed in a split second.

Pay attention to where you're going, but pay A LOT of attention to where everybody else is going.

When you're on a bike, the rules the other drivers follow are very different than the rules when you're in a car.

You can get seriously messed up going 5 mph on a bike if you're not careful.

I love to ride my bike here. Having said that, it can be a tiring experience watching out for everyone and everything.

I'd also suggest you do one of the Motocaribe tours. That is about a controlled environment as you're going to get to get some experience under your belt.

JD was this directed at me???? I guess you missed the part in my post about the fact that I'm no longer living in the DR..... so no Motocaribe tours in my future. As for getting seriously messed up, yes I'm well aware of that fact. That's the most important thing...... safety. One of my friends (a really nice family man with a wife, little kids and a new baby) just recently was killed while riding his bike from Puerto Plata to Santiago. It was a real shocker..... he died instantly. I myself have been hit by a vehicle while riding my "bicicleta" here in the U.S. I was lucky..... wearing a helmet and his speed wasn't fast enough to kill me; just give me a broken wrist and an ugly elbow scrape and permanent scar. I'm still riding my bicycle but with even more caution. Thanks for the warnings to be aware of everything and everyone else's driving though. That's sooooo important.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Bravo for Mr. Lu!
My best female friend in the US bought her first motorcycle when she was 50. She has since ridden twice from Massachusetts to Sturgis alone on her bike. She rides sll over the country. She had always told me that she would love to travel the Dominican Republic on a motorcycle to. After staying with me for a while in the DR she agreed that the roads were dangerous for her to ride.
I sent her a link for MotorCaribe and she was impressed. Who knows maybe someday you will she her flying by you on a motorbike??!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
just wondering how much this course cost
Stay tuned.

MotoCaribe may be offering a 2-day Motorcycle Safety Riding Course for folks who want to learn to ride here shortly. Sort of a survival course in riding a bike in the DR.

Who'd be interested?