Boca Chica/Santo Domingo

freods

Jul 17, 2006
Got back after 4 nites in Boca Chica and 3 nites in the Colonial Zone. At Boca Chica we stayed at the Hostel Zapata and I highly recommend it. This was our first trip to BC and my impressions are mixed. We loved the beach (somewhat littered), we loved the people (especially on Thurs. which was Corpus Christi as the beach filled up with extended Dominican families which was great to see), and we loved the food at the beach side restaurants (I might add we never got ill on our trip even though we ate pretty much everywhere and everything). On the down side was the constant attention of the vendors. Finally I told a guy I would buy cigars, a hat, and cds from him during our stay if he could let the other folks know we were his clients and to leave us alone. It pretty much seemed to work. As far as Duarte St. is concerned, forget it. We went up once and my wife would not go again.
The Colonial Zone has all the history I was looking for, but I don't think it is ready for prime time tourism. I can't see cruise ships of wealthy tourists finding the garbage, dogs, beggars, and surly Politur officers appealing. We stayed at the Palacio, a beautiful place. My wife has a Dominican friend and he suggested we not stay so far (2 blocks) off the Parque de Colon. I think that is too cautious though I would not want to stay further up El Conde, but the Palacio was great. Again, it was the Dominican people who made our experience so enjoyable. I speak some Spanish and their faces would break into a big smile of surprise when I spoke to them. In fact, I sat in the Parque de Colon and paid "una propina" to assorted panhandlers to sit and practice Spanish with me. I had a great time. I talked to numerous folks and they seemed to think the DR is plagued with corruption, particularly among the police. I dont know if that is true, but the officers I spoke with could use some public relations training. I did speak with a massive Dominican soldier who was sitting at the entrance of the museum of the Ataranzas and while he appeared formidable once we began talking (in Spanish) he couldnt have been nicer or more helpful. We did find a nice bar near the hotel, Maison du Bari, that I highly recommend. When my wife and I entered a gentleman sitting by the door gave her a rose as he did to all the women. What a nice gesture. The ice cold Presidentes and the music were just what I needed after wandering about the Zone in the heat and humidity. Finally, after doing the all inclusive thing for a couple years I wanted to get out among the Dominican people away from the mega resorts and this trip filled the bill. I suggest others do the same and they will have a deeper more fulfilling travel experience. Of course, my Spanish helped greatly, but I think even someone with no language skills could do it and enjoy it.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Got back after 4 nites in Boca Chica and 3 nites in the Colonial Zone. At Boca Chica we stayed at the Hostel Zapata and I highly recommend it. This was our first trip to BC and my impressions are mixed. We loved the beach (somewhat littered), we loved the people (especially on Thurs. which was Corpus Christi as the beach filled up with extended Dominican families which was great to see), and we loved the food at the beach side restaurants (I might add we never got ill on our trip even though we ate pretty much everywhere and everything). On the down side was the constant attention of the vendors. Finally I told a guy I would buy cigars, a hat, and cds from him during our stay if he could let the other folks know we were his clients and to leave us alone. It pretty much seemed to work. As far as Duarte St. is concerned, forget it. We went up once and my wife would not go again.
The Colonial Zone has all the history I was looking for, but I don't think it is ready for prime time tourism. I can't see cruise ships of wealthy tourists finding the garbage, dogs, beggars, and surly Politur officers appealing. We stayed at the Palacio, a beautiful place. My wife has a Dominican friend and he suggested we not stay so far (2 blocks) off the Parque de Colon. I think that is too cautious though I would not want to stay further up El Conde, but the Palacio was great. Again, it was the Dominican people who made our experience so enjoyable. I speak some Spanish and their faces would break into a big smile of surprise when I spoke to them. In fact, I sat in the Parque de Colon and paid "una propina" to assorted panhandlers to sit and practice Spanish with me. I had a great time. I talked to numerous folks and they seemed to think the DR is plagued with corruption, particularly among the police. I dont know if that is true, but the officers I spoke with could use some public relations training. I did speak with a massive Dominican soldier who was sitting at the entrance of the museum of the Ataranzas and while he appeared formidable once we began talking (in Spanish) he couldnt have been nicer or more helpful. We did find a nice bar near the hotel, Maison du Bari, that I highly recommend. When my wife and I entered a gentleman sitting by the door gave her a rose as he did to all the women. What a nice gesture. The ice cold Presidentes and the music were just what I needed after wandering about the Zone in the heat and humidity. Finally, after doing the all inclusive thing for a couple years I wanted to get out among the Dominican people away from the mega resorts and this trip filled the bill. I suggest others do the same and they will have a deeper more fulfilling travel experience. Of course, my Spanish helped greatly, but I think even someone with no language skills could do it and enjoy it.

Good for you for getting out and enjoying the real culture of the DR. Great post and thanks for sharing!