I encourage everyone to call upon your MP

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
I think I should share my story, as lately I am reading a lot about everyone trying to get answers.

I first contacted my MP after 3 months of being approved as a sponsor and not getting any information from Haiti. My MP was able to to provide me with the B file # and that is was waiting to be "paper screened" Since that date she has followed up monthly with emails either with information or just support.

Now we are in a position where he was approved @ the interview April 22nd, required additional documents. My MP called 2 weeks after the interview to congratulate me and give me direction on how to speed this along. We are now in a position that everything is completed and we are waiting on the visa to be issued....problem is medicals expire July 10th.

Just this morning my MP called me after speaking with the office in Haiti and told me our BF date is July 22nd....so if we were not on top of this, time would pass and we would be expected to redo the medicals. Instead she had me book the flight, fax to her and she is working with Haiti to have the passport ready to be picked up for next week.

Although, this is not completely over, I feel without my MP this process would have been unbearable. We now have the flights booked, and hoping this will be the final step in this process.

I have tried to get information myself without success. I turn around and contact my MP, and have an answer within 48 hours. She has been a with me every step of the way. I hope in other areas you can have the same type of support.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Hi Ellie,
That's great that your MP has been such a great help and support for you! Knowing that someone is really there helping your situation and file move along must feel good. What area are you in to have such an involved and caring MP??!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ellie you say that your MP gave you directions on how to speed this along, can you tell us what that was?

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
Anna,

When we were requested for additional documentation. My MP asked we do ASAP and send her a confirmation as well once completed. This way she was able to give them 2 weeks to review and she would follow up with them. I guess bad choice of words on my part....not to speed up process, but allowed her to push the application along.

Example..I had paid the right of PR last year when app was first sent for approval. She followed up 2 weeks after we sent in the documents requested at the interview she found out that they did not have confirmation of this. She asked I fax to her the receipt and she took care of this. Had we not had her we still would not know of this!!

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
speed process

I don't think they can do much at all, where they don't know the person in the DR (applicant) why would they take a chance oh well...!

I can understand they can find out about how is the case doing but to help speed up a case where they Immigration has plenty to work on, to take one
out the pile just because a MP call doesnt sound fair. Thats why I don't believe they can help to speed case.

If all applicants have their document required and not paper missing thats plus I guess

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Homer, Ellie did say that (speed up a case) was the wrong choice of words.

What the MP did do which was huge was finding that Haiti had no record of the "right to PR" which was paid and sent in with the application. That is huge because that can delay the issuing of a visa even when you have been approved.

Would the caips show that the "right to PR" was paid?

Last edited:

princesa_pineda

May 13, 2008
Unfortunetly we are not all as lucky to have such a helpful MP/MP assisstant. I know I have never had any luck with my MP's office.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We have heard of some members of Parliament being very helpful and some not too much so I have this crazy theory in my head :paranoid: and before I blurt it out I want to ask Ellie what party her MP belongs to.

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
I see where you are going with this one. My MP is of the PC party...let the political parade begin :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have heard of some members of Parliament being very helpful and some not too much so I have this crazy theory in my head :paranoid: and before I blurt it out I want to ask Ellie what party her MP belongs to.

When my wife came my MP was reform party and was very helpful. When my mother in law came my MP was Helen G who is conservative party, and she was very helpful. On other issues I've had MPs that were NDP and Liberal and they were helpful also. It is NOT dependent on party but on individual MPs and the way you approach them also. You are correct Anna you are paranoid- troops in the streets....etc.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I had this crazy idea that if the MP is of the same party as the ruling government they might get through easier or maybe it's the opposing party more likely to try harder :laugh:

Ok never mind it was just a thought. Bob is right of course it's more about the personalty of your MP and maybe also how busy their office is.

Johana

May 24, 2006
My MP's office had several Immigration offices on speed dial. They were very familiar with the process. Once difference was that I did not deal directly with the MP other than the initial meeting. I was then passed off to a young assistant/intern. He was quite willing to wait 3 weeks for a response from Haiti. I told him that the MP in the next riding could get answers from Haiti within 2 days and made him send another email (which got a response in a couple of hours).

3 months later when I was following up again that assistant was gone and the new one was more than happy to email Haiti for me and request a status update and we heard back within a couple of days. And this was to confirm that they were ready to issue the visa.

I agree that Ellie's got an amazing MP that was able to help and guide her through some of the process.

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
I don't mean to offend anyone by my post. MY MP has been extremely helpful. I guess I just wanted to point out the information you MP is able to obtain. Many of you, including myself have tried to get information or at least have a conversation with someone in either Santo Domingo or Haiti without success.

If need be...put the pressure on your MP, as they are able to discuss the file as we are not. If it was not for my MP....many of the things that have come to light within the last few weeks would have been left until after out BF date of July 22nd and we would be that much further behind in this process.

I am thankful everyday for the support my MP's office has provided me and only wish this was the same throughout Canada!!

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
In many cases it is not only the party the MP is a member of but also their time in office as to how helpful they can be. If an MP is new to parliament and has a relatively new executive assistant they will not be as well versed in the ins and outs of the immigration process. I know this because I recently moved and my old MP and his EA were amazing, my new MP who was elected for the first time last September doesn't even return my phone calls or emails.'

I'm hoping for this reason not to need to contact my MP for anything but am currently trying to develop a relationship should the need arise.

Good luck to all of you further ahead in the process!

laurar

Jun 19, 2008
My MP's assistant got our information but was extremely reluctant to pass on the given information, it was finally given to me after emails and phone calls to her. Lets just say when it comes voting time -nada!!

coco55

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 25, 2009
well mine is from bloc quebecois and it takes about one month to call me back each time i wrote him or call him. So i can forget help from his part.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Years ago I was a civil servant working for Employment and Immigration and then Veteran's Affairs, any inquiry from a MP on behalf of a constituent, regardless of political affiliation was responded to quickly. One of the best ways to let your MP know that there's a problem when your dealing with a government office is to call their office or better still put it in writing and ask for a reply. If you don't get any response, maybe you need to CC it to the Minister of Immigration also so the local MP has some leverage. Just a thought.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
My MP was useless - no wonder he didn't get back in office after the election. They told me I just had to wait it through and some people had been waiting almost 2 years so there was nothing they could do for me. Jerks.

I am very happy to hear some people have great MP's!!