santo domingo to punta cana

T

Teresa

I'll be traveling to the DR soon. I'm flying into Santo Domingo. Has anyone traveled from the airport to Punta Cana recently? How long is the drive by rental car or did you perhaps take an express bus. If you traveled by bus, can I pick that up at the airport or is the bus depot in town? We're a family of 3, any information would be helpful. Thanks.

G

Greg

Teresa,

My family and I drove over to the Punta Cana/Bavaro area about a month and a half ago. My time from downtown Santo Domingo was around 3 hours, driving in the afternoon. If you are not aware, nighttime driving is quite stressful here and requires extra time especially if you are in an unknown area. Since the airport is on the Punta Cana/Bavaro side of the city, that whould knock off about 30 minutes from my time if conditions are the same. The road is undergoing expansion from a two lane to four lane for the first hour or so (don't remember exactly where to where), which did not create any problem for us. I know the bus lines Metro and Caribe tours have terminals in the Punta Cana/Bavaro area, but I'm not sure if they stop at the airport or if you need to go into the city. I hope this helps and have a nice trip.

Greg

K

Kiko

My wife and I just returned from DR and we visited a place very close to punta cana. I will tell you that you have a very long ride ahead of you, I will recommend you rent a car as buses don't travel there from the airport. I will tell you again that punta cana is a long way from Las Americas Airport in Santo Domingo. By the way the place we visited was Bavaro which is close to your destination. If you would like additional information, feel free to e-mail me.

V

Vilma

Teresa,
My husband & I just came back from the DR and spent 3 days at a resort in Bavaro. We took the bus and were glad we did. I recommend the following: Take a taxi to the Parque Enriquillo in Santo Domingo (about 1/2 hr. RD$300), catch the express bus to Higuey (about 3 hr ride, RD$70/person)these are very nice greyhound style buses which play movies, in Higuey change buses to Punta Cana/Bavaro at the Sitrabapu station to Punta Cana (RD$20/person). I assume you will be going to a resort in Punta Cana. I highly recommend you call them and ask which bus from Higuey. Another option is to travel by air from Las Americas airport. You would need to make reservations. Cost is about $50 USD per person and the ride is about 1 hour. Good luck and have a great trip.
Vilma

N

Nicky

Hi Teresa, if you have never been in D.R., it could be hard to find the way to Punta Cana and by night, it would even harder. I would not recommend to somebody who has never been here to drive alone for the first time on such a long trip. If you're coming with a travel agency, they should arrange a transfert for you and your family to Punta Cana. Otherwise, you can also take a taxi from the airport to the place you go in Punta Cana. This would be about a 100 USD. If you need more information, feel free to email me. Good luck ! Nicky