Top Dominican Musicians

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
We have always heard in Dominican bands that the fame entirely goes to the lead singer, neglecting the quality job the musicians (instrument players) do in the background.

I am going to start this thread with the most prolific Dominican bass player in the DR, Feliz "Joe" Nicolas, he first was playing with Juan Luis Guerra and 440 band playing themes like "Tu", "No me acostumbro", to then change ship and started playing with Ramon Orlando's "La Orquesta Internacional" which was a fine selection of the best musicians has to offer to create an immaculate sound in the form of merengue. With Ramon Orlando "Joe" had his best years playing themes like "Pena" "Solo Risas" "Ring Ring", "Te compro tu novia" and of course "Ca?a Brava"

Here is a recent video (2007) of Joe playing "Ca?a Brava" with "La Orquesta Internacional" so crank up your subwoofers and enjoy the great rhythm and of course the bass.

At first there is a good "tambora" solo so wait until 0:42 for the good stuff to start.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5ZtDJUHoRw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5ZtDJUHoRw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I had to adjust my computers subwoofer or it was going to bust!! Ass kicking good stuff.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I'm sorry, but being a musician and listener of serious music from every genre from all over the world, I find most any and all traditional merengue, bachata, reggaeton and the rest, to be some of the most monotonous, unimaginitive, insipid and vapid music I've ever heard in my life, including Latin Grammy Stars from this country. I know this will not set well with dominican readers or latin music lovers, and I fully expect a barrage of comments to the contrary. But one can see what the music inspires in the also monotonous dance steps applied to the music. It is fundamentally so basic and without any distinction. 1-2, 1-2, 1-2-3. jeesuz.
I love African, old blues, country, world music, classical, jazz, even some hip hop and whatever, but I just haven't gotten anything at all from this island's music.
I have played with some well-known names here, and been to concerts, and listened to some well known musicians. There are admittedly some excellent musicians here, but what they wind up playing just doesn't cut it, if they are playing dominican music.
Casa de Teatro has some great music, but it ain't dominican music. La Eskina in Puerto Plata also has some excellent music at times, but it aint dominican music either.
Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe I'm of another generation, but I don't think so (do we ever think so?) What is it?
The world is full of music, and I have very little dominican music on my iTunes, and there is a reason for that.
Sorry if I've pi**ed anyone off, just my opinion(s).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I admit that merengue has grown quite tired, even Dominicans are saying that as well. In fact the DJ for 103 point something here in Santiago was telling me that yesterday.

For me I like the style and rythym of the merengues from the late 90's up until the early millenium (not necessarily the lyrics though - la banda chula, fulanito, amarfis). As I live in Santiago, I listen to the radio (as is required) but as far as Dominican music go (I prefer salsa and bolero cubano) honestly other than a few bachateros, el fuerte and Juliana I can't say I like a whole lot.

B

BettyDiamond

its nice but.....variety is better.....if I had to listen to only one style for the rest of my life Id turn the radio off, which i frequently do here

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Ok, I know that some of you doesn't like Merengue, but I am just trying to show is the level of musicianship of the bass player in this case, I am going to put another videos so you can have a better grasp of how he plays it. I think he is a music teacher in El Conservatorio now, and also play jazz regularly around the country.

In this video you can notice that Joe is singing the bass notes while he is playing it:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ff4ZZh9JVw4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ff4ZZh9JVw4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And in this video he is showing how he played the single "Solo Risas" back in the day.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3H1BaeOzP3w&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3H1BaeOzP3w&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Definitely the best bass player in the DR.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Tflea: To each its own. I don't think you've insulted anyone with that comment (certainly not me), but while Dominican music may be monotonous (to you of course) there's a whole lot more to it than just the notes and that's something that unless you're Dominican and grew up with it you just won't get (sorry if I offend you with that, but it's the truth). If you don't know what "mambo" is and if you don't have "mambo" - hint: it's not the music genre - then you just won't get our music.

Extreme: Good selection...El Maestro had an awesome band.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Nice music. Thanks!

I can get people in a Zumba class move to merengue better than to any other type of music for some reason. Most of them are not Spanish speakers and don't go out to dance merengue. They probably listen and like other genres of music. But they all can dance to merengue beat in a class environment for a few songs without a break and get a good workout. I like merengue just for that. :)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
La Barriga

Also known as pata 'e plomo.

La barriga tiene el plomo en mi caso! :bunny:
Never said I could dance, but sure appreciate those who can.
Supongo que la referencia a mamob es como 'soul', que se siente en los huesos. And I agree about having not grown up with merengue I'll never get it. I likely won't. Just like a merenguero won't ever appreciate roadhouse blues I reckon, which I grew up with.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Salsa, bolero and even merengue callejero, you guys don't know what good listening is. I would take that over rock and roll any day of the week(and do, thank you), especially salsa.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am working a little Na??o Zumbi right now.

Kind of electro samba meets Ry Cooder!

Keeping things on track, I am a big fan of El Prodigio when he tosses in some heavy bass and drums into the tipico mix)

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I like RAI with salsa and reggae. It meets my affection for Arabic and Latin music. I have never heard merengue RAI. If anyone finds a song that mixes merengue and something else - please let me know. It would be very interesting to hear what it sounds like.