I gotta have a recipe for Chivo Guisado please!

A

Amanda

My husband is totally craving Chivo Guisado but I don't have any idea how to prepare it. In my town we don't have Ajies Gustosos nor do we have Cuban Peppers (Anaheims). Somebody had mentioned that those things might be used but I can't get them. Does anybody have a this recipe or even a different Chivo one? Let me know. I just know that one of you is an incredible cook.

Amanda

N

Natasha

Up all night...here it goes

I am writing this up off the top of my head, so if I forget something, please, anyone, don't hesitate to pitch in. Keith, Charles, Tom F. check with your Dominican wives too :)

The first thing to do is to get the freshest goat possible and the best cuts. Gosh, we hardly eat any red meat my husband and I, but he does like goat!

You may also want to have a mortar and pestle.

Ingredients:

Whatever amount of goat you want to cook - perhaps 2 lbs.

4 garlic cloves

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1 naranja agria (bitter orange). I have yet to find them in the US, so you may want to substitute with a lime.

1 small onion (red, yellow or spanish), chopped

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp thyme

2-4 bay leaves

3-4 sweet peppers, chopped. These are small ones that I can find in Latin markets. DO NOT use hot peppers.

Several branches of cilantro (verdura)

1 tbsp vinegar (apple cider or white preferably)

1 tbsp worcestershire (sp?) sauce

1/2 - 1 cup of tomato sauce (I prefer 2 tbsp of tomato paste myself, but other prefer the sauce).

1 tsp sugar

2 -3 tbsp oil (I still prefer Mazola corn oil)

1/2 - 1 cup cooking wine

Preparation:

In the mortar and pestle, combine the garlic, pepper and salt and pound until you have a pasty consistency - set aside.

Place the goat in a bowl and wash with the juice of bitter orange or lime. Season goat with the garlic paste above, vinegar, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, onion, cilantro, sweet peppers and worcestershire sauce. If you can, let the goat marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours or even overnight.

*** You can use one of those little packets of Goya seasonings, but bear in mind that they contain monosodium glutamate.

In a large pot (I use anodized aluminum, i.e Calphalon, for sauteeing) heat up the oil with the sugar. The sugar will cameralize and will give the goat a golden color without having to sautee it too much. This works even better when preparing pollo guisado (chicken fricasse). At this point, try to add the goat to the pot WITHOUT the ingredients it was marinating in. This might entail you actually separting the little leaves and other ingredients that will stick to the goat. The reasoning for this is that you don't want to "cook" these ingredients with the goat yet, at least not until the goat is tender. Sautee the goat in the hot oil for a couple of minutes, but do not let it burn. Reduce heat to medium and add some water, about 1 a cup. Simmer. When the water is almost gone, add the remaining marinade from the bowl. Add the tomatoe sauce/paste and cooking wine and cook on medium low heat for about 45 minutes, more or less. You want to let the liquid thicken, but not too much. Depending on your taste, you may add a little more wine towards the end of the cooking time.

Voila!!!

Goat goes very well with moros as well as with white rice and beans or guandules.

A great wine to accompany this meal will of course be a nice red - my pick would be Marques de Caceres Rioja or a South African or Australian shiraz.

Hope this helps,
Natasha