Trip Report - POP, Sosua and Cabrera

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My husband and I arrived at the POP airport on the evening of Monday, June 22, 2009 for the first time in a year and a half?.our first time anywhere in the country in the same timeframe. After many years of staying with my husband?s family in Montellano, we decided to stay at Casa Marina Hotel in Sosua for several reasons. It was cheaper to stay at the hotel, including taxes and airfare than it was for airfare alone, we wanted more privacy than we usually get when staying with my husband?s family, we wanted guaranteed air conditioning and running water amid rolling blackouts and we thought we would spend less on eating out if our food was included. For me, I was also excited to have a pool at my beck and call.

We arrived in pouring rain and were immediately bombarded by friends from Montellano who recognized us getting off the plane. They helped us fill out the necessary paperwork quickly and we buzzed through immigration and the lines of tourists with their help, which was much appreciated since we were arriving around 9:00 p.m. and still had to pick up a rental car, check-in to our hotel in Sosua and then go say hi to everyone in Montellano.

My husband made the mistake of calling a friend of his that worked at the POP airport a few weeks before our arrival to ask if he knew of anyone from Montellano who rented cars at the airport. He was given the number of an ?acquaintance? in Montellano who worked at ?Savings Rent a Car? at one of the kiosks at the airport. Worst mistake we ever made. We were quoted a flat daily rate and we told the rep that we would be paying with our Visa (which we wanted to use for two reasons ? we earn travel miles and the damages portion of our insurance is covered if we use our Visa) but upon arrival we were told the price quoted was only a cash price and that it would be double if we paid with Visa (despite us confirming we would be using Visa). We were not impressed but what could we do?. We should have told him to stuff it but we wanted a car for that night. By day two, the two front automatic windows would not go down, which was a HUGE problem for my husband who had to stop on every corner to say hi to someone since he had not been home for so long and he seems to know everyone and their brother from Puerto Plata to Rio San Juan. In the one week we were there, we ended up having to change our vehicle four times because of problems (i.e. gas tank leaking, windows don?t go down, air conditioning not working). Needless to say, we will never ever be renting from Savings Rent a Car at POP airport again. Some of my husband?s friends told him why didn?t he wait until he arrived and rent in Montellano because he would have been able to rent a better vehicle for a cheaper rate (as we have done in the past). That?s okay?. It was a learning experience and we didn?t let it ruin our vacation.

Our second day there we decided to take a road trip to Cabrera. We went to swim in two different caves or caverns. One cost us (for a group of 8) 30 pesos each to get in and the other cost 50 pesos each. I loved it?we all loved it. One was called Blue Lake but I can?t remember the name of the other. The water was clean and clear and very cool and refreshing. At Blue Lake we met some tourists who had, by comparison, paid $67 to get in but they also had the Safari tour included.

On the way back to Sosua we stopped at Playa Diamante near Rio San Juan and then Playa Grande, just past Rio San Juan. It was a beautiful drive along the coast with great music blasting the whole way. On the way there we stopped in Gaspar Hernandez at a grocery store to get some pop, Brugal, salami and crackers to eat on the trip. I was the DD so I was not drinking. That saved us money along the way.

The next day we visited with some family in Maranata, just above Sosua Abajo. Mostly talk was centered around my husband?s grandfather who had just passed away but we had a nice visit with his father?s side of the family, despite the scoarching temperature!

Another day we packed a lunch and the domino table and went for a swim and cookout at the river in Bella Visa Sosua. The water was so refreshing and the Sancocho that a friend?s wife made was fantastic. That night we were beat and decided to spend the night back at the hotel in the hot tub. It was nice to have some time to ourselves and hot tubs in Sosua are cold?.. thank God because we were dying of the heat!

Saturday was our first time into POP and I really wanted to go to La Sirena. It was not as spectacular as I was hoping but it was nice and cool inside  ?. We bought some coffee and rum to bring home. My husband, the fashionista that he is, had to buy some new ?Dominican? clothes to bring home. We went shopping at a men?s store called ?Neno?s? near the old Supermercado Messon (which we were sad to see is now closed). Back in Montellano, we decided with our friends and family to venture out to the new club Coco Bongo Disco in Playa Dorada that night. We were disappointed. It?s pretty small and not much Dominican music?. More of a top 40?s mix from North America. Many of the tourists were there barefoot which made dancing difficult at times.

Sunday was a day of relaxing around the hotel pool. I got burnt to a crisp because I couldn?t find my sunscreen lotion but I was not going to wallow about that in the room so I joined my hubby and a few of his friends who had come to stay overnight. By later that night, I was wishing I had found backup sunscreen since I was looking and feeling much like a cooked lobster since I?m very fair.

That night we had a fantastic meal at an Italian restaurant on the down the street where SuperSuper and BancoReservas are. They gave us a free start which was sausages. They were excellent and the waiter later came back to tell us that they made them there themselves and sell them if we are ever interested. We don?t live there right now but I?m sure some of you that live in Sosua would love to get your hands on some good sausages (NorthAmerican Style). We?ve eaten at this restaurant in the past and we are never disappointed! If you turn off Pedro Clisant at SuperSuper and BancoReservas, it?s about half way down the street, past the Municipal Office, on your left-hand side.

Now, not to leave out my comments on the hotel?..we stayed in the Casa Marina ?Beach? part of the hotel, although I the ?Reef? part is pretty much the same (as per my parents who have stayed there) and my own observations. Sure we got a great deal and yes, we knew it was a three star hotel where we would not be spending much time since we have family there to see. BUT for those who come to the hotel for a one or two week all-inclusive vacation, I would think they would be seriously disappointed. The grounds are beautiful BUT the food was terrible. Most of the food was Dominican and it was not quality at all?. We heard several Dominicans that had come to the resort just for the weekend complaining that the food was awful , the same conclusion my own Dominican husband and friends had already drawn. For us it was no big deal because we ate breakfast and left but if I was there every day for all meals, it would be awful. The rooms are in major need or renovating. No bugs to report though so they were very clean, except for the pile of sawdust in our bathroom every morning from the termites eating the doorframe. Beds were very comfortable. For our purposes, it was fine but again for those who are not in Sosua to visit family and spend most of your time off the resort, it would be disappointing at the least!

Sunday night we went to the Malecon to the end where the fort is to open our trunk and listen to music with the rest of the locals. It was fun but the crowd was generally younger. We eventually got bored and made our way back to Montellano to ?HomeRun?, which is right on the main highway between POP and Sosua. It was fun and we danced into the wee hours of the morning.

Monday was our last day. Our flight was not until the evening so we decided to spend our afternoon at our favourite beach, Playa Sosua. We swam and relaxed and had a generous helping of fried red snapper, tostones, salad and a few Presidentes. It was fantastic! We left just in time to make our flight back to Canada.

Observances??June is now too hot for us to visit POP. Sure it?s cheaper but we were dying of heat. My husband, the Dominican, can?t hack the temperature anymore either hehehehehehe?..We flew back to the temperature in the 70s in Toronto and it felt like heaven!

Reactions: alicious

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Our second day there we decided to take a road trip to Cabrera. We went to swim in two different caves or caverns. One cost us (for a group of 8) 30 pesos each to get in and the other cost 50 pesos each. I loved it?we all loved it. One was called Blue Lake but I can?t remember the name of the other. The water was clean and clear and very cool and refreshing. At Blue Lake we met some tourists who had, by comparison, paid $67 to get in but they also had the Safari tour included.

On the way back to Sosua we stopped at Playa Diamante near Rio San Juan and then Playa Grande, just past Rio San Juan.

Another day we packed a lunch and the domino table and went for a swim and cookout at the river in Bella Visa Sosua. The water was so refreshing and the Sancocho that a friend?s wife made was fantastic. That night we were beat and decided to spend the night back at the hotel in the hot tub.

I'm wanting to take my parents to see some nice places that are not your typical tourist attraction when they are down to visit. (I will be arriving to live there the same time they are arriving for vacation so I won't have too much time to check out places).

I wanted to ask you, the swimming in the caves/caverns...Approx how long did it take you to get there? Would it be easy to get directions to find it by asking the locals? Is it difficult (physically) to get to the actual caves or caverns?

Out of the beaches you visited in & around Rio San Juan, which would you recommend? Are either of those two you mentioned nicer then Playa Caleton (sp?) in RSJ?

And last set of questions...(lol.) I was also thinking of taking my parents to one of the rivers on a hot day...(oh wait...aren't they all hot days :p ). It's been years since I've been though, and I don't remember the name of the one I used to go to. But this Bella Vista River, is it easy to get to and nice surroundings?

Thanks in advance! I enjoyed your trip report, and forwarded it to my parents who will be staying at Casa Marina.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I'm wanting to take my parents to see some nice places that are not your typical tourist attraction when they are down to visit. (I will be arriving to live there the same time they are arriving for vacation so I won't have too much time to check out places).

I wanted to ask you, the swimming in the caves/caverns...Approx how long did it take you to get there? Would it be easy to get directions to find it by asking the locals? Is it difficult (physically) to get to the actual caves or caverns?

Out of the beaches you visited in & around Rio San Juan, which would you recommend? Are either of those two you mentioned nicer then Playa Caleton (sp?) in RSJ?

And last set of questions...(lol.) I was also thinking of taking my parents to one of the rivers on a hot day...(oh wait...aren't they all hot days :p ). It's been years since I've been though, and I don't remember the name of the one I used to go to. But this Bella Vista River, is it easy to get to and nice surroundings?

Thanks in advance! I enjoyed your trip report, and forwarded it to my parents who will be staying at Casa Marina.

Alicious - our trip would totally suit parents. First of all, to get there you just head east from POP on the main highway towards Cabarete. After you pass through Cabarete, you just stick to the main road the whole way. There will be signs at a few places where the road Y's but just keep on keeping to the left and it will take you past Gaspar Hernandez and then Rio San Juan and then Cabrera. You go through Cabrera and keep on going on the main road in order to come to the cave swim holes. I cant' remember exactly but I think it was 10 - 20 minutes past Cabrera before we came to the caves (which are only about 5 minutes apart). The one that cost 50 pesos was first and it was on the right-hand side. Just past the entrance is a little bar that sells bracelets and I believe (according to my husband) that it's cheaper to buy the bracelets for entrance at the bar than at the actual destination. You turn in just before the bar (again, can't remember what marked the entrance or what the sign said but it was nothing big and noticeable). I'm sure the locals could direct you there if you can't find it. The second one (which I liked better) was after the first and it had a definite sign, also on the right-hand side, that said something like Lago Azul and there was a man standing there and a gate that said 30 pesos each to get in. We missed it the first time by and had to turn around. At the second place, you pay your 30 pesos and then follow a dirt road about 5 minutes into parking area. The road is nothing crazy and can be done in a car. There, you can park and there are clean washrooms/change rooms and then you have to go down a path with a gradual incline and then about 30 stairs. It's totally doable for anyone of any level of fitness, etc. You can put your clothes at the bottom on a rock and then go in for a swim. It's pretty isolated though. We were the only ones there until a tour group came. There were 13 of us so it was safe but if it's just you and your parents, I might feel nervous in case of emergency, etc. because no one would hear you for miles.

The first one, which we went back to after the first cave, costs 50 pesos. You drive in about 3 minutes and park by a little hut where there is a worker making sure you have a bracelet or taking your money. Once you enter through the gatehouse, you can go to the right to a little lake/pond that has very steep stairs that go down to a ledge that is about 4 feet wide and 30 feet long. There is a rope to swing into the pond. My husband would not let me do it for fear that I would get hurt. I did go swimming though and there is a wooden stair to get back up. Then we climbed the stairs again and walked about 200 feet back towards the entrance and there was a cave, which was not steep or anything but if it had not been for the fact that there were 13 of us, I would never have gone in. It was pitch dark and no lights. No bats though. It's cool just to stick your head in but to go right in, I would want to be with a crowd. Then coming back down from the cave, you can go down a fairly steep set of stairs to another cavern/cave with water to swim. It was clear, etc. but it was kind of scary looking because it was fairly dark and the water went fairly deep into the cave part. We did not swim there.... just took some pics.

As for the beaches, Playa Diamante was between Rio San Juan and Cabrera. When we arrived it was pretty late... 5 or 6 so the tide was WAY out. We literally had to walk out about 200 - 300 feet and it was still only waist deep. Very pretty and only a few locals there. We saw some fisherman bringing in their daily catch. My husband wanted to buy an octopus they caught and I was like ..ummmmmm and who do you think is cooking that cuz I'm not!! LOL

Then we continued home and came to Playa Grande, which is past Rio San Juan... more towards Gaspar Hernandez if you know what I mean? It was amazing. I liked it better than Playa Diamante (which is kind of in a bay) for the views but the water was more rough. The sun was setting so we took a quick dip and that was it. They were doing a photo shoot for a magazine or something so we could not do much because we wanted to stay out of the way. I don't know how either Playa Diamante or Playa Grande compare to the beach you refer to as I have never been there.

From Montellano to Cabrera took us between 1.5 and 2 hours. We made a quick stop in Gaspar Hernandez for munchies and drinks. The traffic was good and we went about 80 after Cabarete. We returned in the dark, which I would not do again. Lots of people in the little towns along the way that walk right on the side of the road so it's dangerous and most people don't dim their brights so it was hard to see at times. After you pass cabarete, it's all good though.

I think your parents would love the trip. I would take my own parents there and they are around 60. Not big walk to get to the swim holes and nothing steep or dangerous. If you are going from POP or Sosua, I would get up early and be ready to leave by 9:00 a.m. We didn't leave until like 1:30 or so in the afternoon so we were rushed.

If I can figure out how to post pics on this thing, I will post some from where we swam.

Good luck and have fun.