Air Travel Advice, North Fl., U.S.; to S.D., D.R.

J

Joyce

Can anyone offer any air travel advice from North Florida, U.S. to Santo Domingo, D.R. this summer for first time traveler? Fares seem to be high. Travel agency found a cheaper fare leaving Orlando to S. D., but the Orlando airport is 6 hrs. away. Jacksonville is closer but the fare is $200 more. Hoping to use the larger planes if possible and get as direct flight as possible. Will be staying with a very nice Dominican family, so no hotel advice needed. Any special advice on how to handle luggage would also be appreciated? Any tips about a families daily life in Santo Domingo welcomed, curious as to how different than American if much at all. The Domincans I've met are very mell mannered, educated, respectful, and fun to be with, such a pleasure. Thanks so much for any help.
Joyce

J

james

Re: Air Travel Advice, North Fl., U.S.; to S.D., D

Darn I hate it when I hit the wrong button!!!!

Joyce I don't think you will find much better. I've been to SD but always out of Miami. I have looked many times and except for airline specials thats about the going rate.

I think your family will find it very relaxing in DR as compared to the states. Its more casual as well. If they are into high tech entertainment, that maybe lacking depending on the financial well being of the family you are staying with.

James

A

Andy

Joyce, you don't say where you are located, but at 6 hrs from Orlando you are either in the Florida panhandle or Georgia. If this is the case, fly out of Atlanta. There are charters from ATL to Puerto Plata and Punta Cana. Friends flew last summer and the fare was only about $250 RT each. Then take the bus to Santo Domingo.

G

giovanni

Try <A HREF="http://www.lowestfare.com">www.lowestfare.com</A> from Orlando (mco) Santo domingo SDQ. There is no much that you can do from there.

P

Parrothead

Good luck! I went to the DR for the first time about a year ago. Round trip fare was $400, the last trip was $589!!! What really pisses me off is the fact that I know of people that have flown from Detroit or NYC for $400 (or less), while us here in Florida (much closer, wouldn't you think?) have to pay much more. I've heard that another airline is going to start flying to SD from Orlando, so maybe this will help to break American Airlines domination of the DR (from FL at least). Let us know if you learn any new tricks. Has anyone tried skyauction or priceline?

J

Joyce

James,

Thanks for the response. Do you have a favorite airline out of Miami? People keep suggesting American Airlines, they do seem to have a lower fare compared to some others I have seen. Do you choose the larger planes?
I think it would be more comfortable, since this will be the first time for riding an airplane period. Actually, it is an imediate family member that will be going, not myself, I'm just helping with arrangements.
Joyce

J

Joyce

Andy, thanks for replying. Yes, Atlanta is about the same distance as Orlando from us. I don't now anything about what a charter flight is unfortunately, never traveled before. But I will take it into consideration. About the bus ride to S.D., how far, or long and cost? Thanks, Joyce

J

Joyce

Yes, $400 is the cheapest fare out of Orlando, quoted by the travel agency at current. Jacksonville is around $600.
Anywhere else, don't ask, it's high! It is frustrating, because others from the D. R. that are over here, have been traveling with fares of around $350, but 1 person in particular got his RT ticket in D. R., but they usualy use American Airlines they say. Can't find anything around that price over here sadly. How did you like your stay in D.R. and your Airline?
Joyce

J

Joyce

Thanks Glovani, I had looked there previously, and will keep them in mind. Joyce

A

Andy

Joyce,

Check with Aeromar (DR airline that uses well-maintained, chartered jets) in Miami. They will have the lowest price, but that means a trip to Miami from wherever you are.

J

Joyce

Thanks, Andy, will keep in mind. We are not a long ways from Tallahassee, but haven't seen anything leaving from there afordable or enjoyable. We will probably have to stay with Orlando or Jacksonville, condidering the driving distance though. Thanks again, Joyce

G

GR

Well, in scheduled airline you are not going to find cheaper than 300 dollars from Orlando. I just pay 161 to Washington DC, and my current fare to SDQ in June is 522 roundtrip. So, thats the problem..

FYI, Usair just going to start service to SDQ and Delta is thinking about it.

P

PI-Runner

Delta to DR??

Who told you that Delta was considering the DR routes? They just sold off their routes to American recently, and I believe the deal included a no-compete. I would love to see them resume service to SDQ, as I fly over 250,000 miles a year on Delta, and could stop paying for tickets for my monthly visits! Don't think it's going to happen, though.

R

rtpman

I have found that the cheapest travel days appear to be leaving MIA on a Thursday or Friday and returning on a Monday. Also, you will find somewhat better prices in the non-peak season around March - May. It doesn't always come down, but last year I was able to fly MIA to SDQ for $165 RT on Aeromar. This was during the first week in June. Otherwise I frequently see prices dipping to $340 on American airlines and around $315 for Aeromar.

I have only flown into Puerto Plata once to get better prices. You can then take a bus around $8 USD from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo. The Carribe Tour buses are air conditioned and its a great way to interact with the locals.

R

rtpman

Re: Air Travel Advice, Example of pricing..

After I wrote my response I did a quick check and found you can fly from Miami to SDQ for $332.80 RT if you fly out on a Thursday and return on a Monday (Aeromar airlines). Thats compared to over $400 for American Airlines. The dates I chose was June 8 - 12.

I'm not plugging Aeromar, but they do fly the same size of plane 727-200 that American Airlines is flying that same route. I had a good trip the time I flew that airline.

G

GR

Re: Delta to DR??

Delta has never flown to DR as far as I know. They are expanding their service to the caribbean, and they have in mind starting service to Aruba, Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata by early next year. No official announcement have been made, but these routes are in the drawing board.

R

Richard

Delta just announced (this weeek)their future(next year) plans for flights to the Caribbean. The Dominican Republic was not included in these plans. They will add flights to Aruba, and expand service into South America, but The DR was not mentioned. It was rumored that Delta would begin flying to POP in the fall of 99, but was we know, that never happened.
Hopefully, Delta will convince the "powers that be:, that good wholesome competion is good for everyone.

G

Gallego

Re: 250 From Atlanta??

I sure would like to know where they got their tickets? I would be on the next flight out. Serously, if anybody knows of flights out of Atlanta in that price range, let me know. I sure do miss my Presidente beers.

G

GR

Read the news of DR1 from yesterday! May 25th, 2000

Giovanni