Jet Blue to POP, stop over in JFK

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Hi,
I'm going to be flying Jet Blue at the beginning of August from Buffalo to Puerto Plata, with a stop over at JFK airport. I've only ever flown out of Toronto airport, however, Jet Blue has the best price available so I now need to fly out of Buffalo. I've never flown out of any American airport and looking at the times for the stop over in New York at JFK I have two possibilities. One will give me 55 minutes to make my connecting flight to POP and another will give me over 3 hours to make the connecting flight. Do the connections usually go smoothly? Will 55 minutes be enough time to grab my luggage, re submit it and switch planes or will I be pushing it? Would it be better to choose the option with a 3 hour layover? It's just, if I want a 3 hour lay over my flight leaves from Buffalo very early in the morning which would also have to include a 1 hour 30 minute drive to the Buffalo airport as well.... Would 55 minute connection at JFK suffice without some serious stress?
Thanks for your help.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
... Would 55 minute connection at JFK suffice without some serious stress?

If you have to collect/re-check your bags forget about it, if they move your bags it is possible to make the flight. This is assuming both flights are in & out of T5.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
to avoid stress i would take the layover...get a coffee & relax! the time will still fly by quickly and it wont feel like 3 long hours.

large american airports are not as easy to get through as you are used to!
once had a 2 hour layover in miami and almost didnt make it home due to long lines for 2nd security clearance, collecting bags and rechecking them.

so glad you finally bought your ticket!!!

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
I live in NY and fly out of JFK all the time 55 min WILL NOT be enought time, you have to think of all different type of delays better safe then sorry

Pandaris

May 20, 2008
All airlines have things called legal/illegal connection times and the system will not allow you to reserve a flight with an an illegal connection time. With 55 minutes at JFK, you'll be just fine. Enjoy your trip.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for your help everyone! I haven't bought my ticket yet, but was going to see if I could get away with the shorter layover time, which most seem to think I can't so I'm not going to take my chances. I will be stressed enough and excited enough without worrying about if I'm going to miss my connecting flight.
You're right, 3 hours won't really feel like 3 hours. I'd definitely rather be safe than sorry :)

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Oh! Sorry, one more questions.
I'm going to be moving to Puerto Plata for a year, but I'll be returning for a week or two at Christmas time for a visit with my family and friends... But since i'm going for such a long time will the American immigration be questioning me a lot about the length of time I'll be going to DR? Will that cause problems for me? Or will my bigger problem be crossing the boarder by car into Buffalo? I'm a bit of a worrier so I'd like to be prepared. Thanks!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
If you're flying from Buffalo to JFK it's going to be a small plane and you should check to see if it lands in Terminal 5 which is Jet Blue. Then check to see what gate it usually comes in on and what gate the POP flight goes out of and see whether it's feasible. However, if you do carry on, it's not a problem.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
If you're flying from Buffalo to JFK it's going to be a small plane and you should check to see if it lands in Terminal 5 which is Jet Blue. Then check to see what gate it usually comes in on and what gate the POP flight goes out of and see whether it's feasible. However, if you do carry on, it's not a problem.

First of all jet blue only uses two types of planes out of buffalo, and they are not the small type that you are thinling of. they are both large jets.
Secondly,all flights from jet blue will land in terminal 5, except international flights that will land in terminal 4 for customs.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Hi,
I'm going to be flying Jet Blue at the beginning of August from Buffalo to Puerto Plata, with a stop over at JFK airport. I've only ever flown out of Toronto airport, however, Jet Blue has the best price available so I now need to fly out of Buffalo. I've never flown out of any American airport and looking at the times for the stop over in New York at JFK I have two possibilities. One will give me 55 minutes to make my connecting flight to POP and another will give me over 3 hours to make the connecting flight. Do the connections usually go smoothly? Will 55 minutes be enough time to grab my luggage, re submit it and switch planes or will I be pushing it? Would it be better to choose the option with a 3 hour layover? It's just, if I want a 3 hour lay over my flight leaves from Buffalo very early in the morning which would also have to include a 1 hour 30 minute drive to the Buffalo airport as well.... Would 55 minute connection at JFK suffice without some serious stress?
Thanks for your help.

I fly jet blue to the DR twice a month, so take the 3 hour layover on your way down to POP. 55 minutes is usually enough to forward your luggage, which jet blue does for you, but if your flight from buffalo runs late expect to see your bags the next day.
On your return trip you need to remember that you will need to leave enough time to claim your bags in customs, clear customs, and take the tram from terminal 4 to jet blue T5. Allow at least an hour and a half for this.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Tink,

You will not need to claim your bags in JFK at all. They will be transfered right over to the JFK POP flight. You will be fine. I have done this flight myself and the 55 connection time is okay. Now if it was the winter time I would say take the longer connection.

Cheers

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to take the longer connection time just to be on the safe side.
I'm mostly worried about crossing the boarder and if they're going to question me about why I'm in the DR and the length of time I'll be there.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
just tell the truth...tell them you are going to buf airport to catch a flight to pop. if they ask for your ticket be prepared to show them. i doubt you will have any problem with that. when you fly home they can see by your passport that you have not been in the US for the whole time so i doubt you will have any issue there either. you will do your main customs at the airport and your ticket/passport stamps will be proof of where you have been when you cross over by car back to canada.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Oh! Sorry, one more questions.
I'm going to be moving to Puerto Plata for a year, but I'll be returning for a week or two at Christmas time for a visit with my family and friends... But since i'm going for such a long time will the American immigration be questioning me a lot about the length of time I'll be going to DR? Will that cause problems for me? Or will my bigger problem be crossing the boarder by car into Buffalo? I'm a bit of a worrier so I'd like to be prepared. Thanks!

It is extremely common for Canadians to enter the US by land and fly out of US airports, because the price difference is so huge This will not strike the immigration officer as odd at all.

Going to POP, a 55 minute connection in at JFK is fine. Your flight from BUF will arrive and your POP flight will depart from Terminal 5,(all JetBlue flights, international and domestic depart from terminal 5) which is newly remodeled and absolutely fantastic. You don't have to worry about security or your bags. You will simply walk from one gate to the other in the same terminal.

Going from POP, you will need about 3 hours to be safe. Your flight will arrive at a different terminal for US immigration, then you have to collect your bags, go through US customs, then drop off your bags, then you will have to go to terminal 5 (best to go by the free train), go through security then on to your Buffalo flight.

Service on board Jet Blue is fantastic. Between that and the price difference, believe me, after one time, you will swear to do it this way from now on.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
take the flight with the 3 hour layover. the jet blue terminal is really nice. you will have plenty to see and do just by walking around.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Thank you all for your help and advice. I went with the 3 hour layover as that is what most recommended and the more I think about it, the time will probably fly by anyway. I just finished booking my flight. I'll be heading to POP on August 7th. Yay! :)

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Thank you all for your help and advice. I went with the 3 hour layover as that is what most recommended and the more I think about it, the time will probably fly by anyway. I just finished booking my flight. I'll be heading to POP on August 7th. Yay! :)

How are you getting from Toronto to Buffalo? Check out the trains from Toronto. My wife has taken it from Hamilton to Rochester to fly Jet Blue and back again, with a stop in Buffalo and the cost is much cheaper than the cost of gasoline and parking for the time you are away. It is a pleasant and interesting ride with no hassle going through customs at the border. I think you get off at the Depew station and it is a short cab ride to the airport.

Whichever way you travel, have a safe one and you cannot go wrong with Jet Blue

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, however, my father has said that he will drive me to the Buffalo airport as I won't be returning until the end of December, so I definitely won't be leaving a car there!
I'm happy with my choice of flying Jet Blue. Not only is it one of the cheapest, but everyone seems to enjoy their service.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion, however, my father has said that he will drive me to the Buffalo airport as I won't be returning until the end of December, so I definitely won't be leaving a car there!
I'm happy with my choice of flying Jet Blue. Not only is it one of the cheapest, but everyone seems to enjoy their service.

Another word of advice...leave sufficient time to cross the border.

You have made an excellent choice. Feel free to pm me if you wish as I make this trip frequently.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
It takes about an hour and a half to get from my house to Niagara Falls, so do you think if I gave myself 2 1/2 hours including time spent at the boarder to get to the airport, that would be sufficient? My flight is at 5:50am in the morning, so we'd be going across the boarder around 2:30am or 3am. I can't imagine it being as busy at that time, but I can't even remember the last time I drove over the boarder so I may be wrong.