What's the difference in Visa & Tourist Card?

K

Keith

Sarah,

I'm sure some technos or lawyers haunting this site can explain it better, but I'll give it a shot.

The visa is multi-year, allowing multiple entries and allowing you to stay indefinitely until the visa's expiration, as long as you don't work (legally speaking, that requires residency). The visa is placed inside your passport.

The tourist card is only good for 90 days, and is not part of your passport. You can "renew" it by getting a new one (for a fee). You cannot work legally in the DR while visiting on a tourist card.

Any clearer? Hope so.
Regards,
Keith

P

Pete

A tourist card is basically an entry tax on tourists. It is a short two page form (original and carbon copy) on which you list your name, address, passport number, etc. They cost 10 dollars US each and the top copy must be turned in as you go through customs. They can be purchased from your air carrier or at a booth in the airport as you enter the customs area. It is important to save the copy because you will need it to exit the country and you may also be required to show it in order to change money, register at your hotel, or cash travler checks, etc. In fact I have never had to show my card to anyone while in country but again save the copy for when you leave. You will also have to pay a 10 dollar exit tax, but thats another story. Again, the tourist card is simply a tax on tourists. It has nothing whatsoever to do with visas or passports.

K

Keith

>It has nothing whatsoever to do with visas or passports.

Not entirely true, although I understand why you consider it just a tax on tourists (certainly the way I used to view it when I came to the DR on short trips!). The tourist card acts as a temporary visa, although it's true that it is not entered into your passport as normal visas are (I think this is due in part to the fact that many people don't come to the DR with their passports). A tourist card is a simplified and quick way to get such a temporary visa. If you've ever applied for a regular temporary in-your-passport visa for a country that requires one (like Brazil), you'd find that the process is more complicated, takes longer and costs much, much more.

If you are caught on the island with an expired tourist card or no tourist card, technically speaking you can be deported. I knew a guy from Washington state who had that happen to him. But in most cases, they simply require you to buy a new card and pay a penalty based on the number of days since your original card expired. They usually only get tough about it when they find that you've been working while in the DR on an expired card...
Regards,
Keith

S

Sarah

OK, I'm following what both of you are saying. And I do know the Tourist Card and Exit Tax routines. But I keep seeing posts asking questions about Visas and still don't really understand the difference. So do you need a Visa to work? Or to visit from some particular countries? Is it the DR that is requiring them, or the countries that a person comes from? I appreciate your further explanation...Sarah

K

Keith

Sarah,

I already said in my prior post that, legally speaking (note how I phrase this), you do need residence status in order to work. You get residence status after receiving a residence visa. If you have some questions on the process and particulars, I believe that the FAQ on RVHB's website covers this [www.rvhb.com] .
Regards,
Keith

R

Roberto

Hi Sarah

A Touristic cart allow you to stay 90 days
it is only a Tourist Cart you are not allow to do more then juts enjoying you self in this paradise island with all the
wonders that the nature has to offer you

A Visa do not necesary allow you to work dear
unles that a companies sign you a contract to work
working normally in a positions
that none dominican could take for divers reasons
the only thing that allow you to work doing certificate work wen you have the certificate for it
or working in normal positions that average dominicans work
are a permanente Residente
for that dear
no one can imforme you better then the Dominican embasy in the USA
or even you own embasy in the Dominican Republic

hope my answer will help you

Suerte Amiga

usted ya tiene mi email si quieres escrivirme
estare encantado de escrivirle
que dios me la cuide

R

Roxanne Hall

Hey! Ok, a clear answer? What do you need to be able to work in the DR? And how do you go about getting this and the Visa card? We are seeking work for September but if we need a Visa work card, we need to apply for this now. If you can help us, please!!!!!
Thanks

B

Bob Saunders

check with the Dominican Consulate to Canada in Montreal and the honourary consul in EDMONTON. They are both on the internet but I don't have the sites right now. Good Luck. You might also check with Falconbridge Mining as they are a Canadian based company also with a website that has a division in the DR.called Falconbridge Dominicana, C. POR A PH 809-682-6041, Santo Domingo.

M

Mary Margaret Turner

I am a Canadian going to work in the Dominican in July for 1 year. I contacted the DR Honourary Consulate in Toronto and I was informed that I would need to apply for a business visa good for one year (one entry in my case). I am going through the process now of getting all the documentation, so if you need any further info, I would be glad to try and help. You can contact me at marymargaret@canada.com.