Re: How to import your car?

K

Keith

Re: How to import your car?

Nicolette,

Check the archives using the key words "car import" and you're bound to find everything you need, because this subject has been covered many times before on this board (I ought to know, as I answered it many times speaking from personal experience -- see, for example, articles in the June 1998 range -- until I became tired of repeating myself).

In a nutshell, unless you are a Dominican returning from abroad to live in the DR or a foreigner with residency status, FORGET about importing a car. Taxes are far too high without the "exoneration" given these two categories. "exoneration" usually cuts the import taxes to about 1/10 of the original quote (i.e., US$400 instead of US$4000) (those figures are from an actual case involving a used vehicle valued at about US$10,000!).

Even if you fit into one of these two categories,THINK TWICE before importing. The cost of transport, extracting the car from customs and the pure hassle factor of dealing with customs bureaucracy usually negate any so-called cost savings over buying locally. No matter what people tell you (and they probably will), you will NOT recoup all of these costs when you resell the car in the DR. Part of the reason is that you must wait two years from date of release from customs before selling the car, or else pay all the taxes you had "exonerated."

Last but not least, consider carefully whether the model you're importing can be easily serviced in the DR, as not all are. I had a Honda, which is ubquitious in the DR, but I discovered that auto parts for it were sometimes a problem because it was built in the US, not Japan. My Plymouth Voyager van was a huge pain to get service and parts for, even though there are many of this make and model cruising the streets and roads of the DR. And, of course, warranties granted in the US were not valid in the DR.

As for documentation, check with the Dominican embassy in Washington or one of the Dominican consulates (NYC, for example). Last I heard it was still (1) title, on official paper with state seal on it [remember, you must have owned the car at least 1 yr before shipping]; (2) shipping manifest; (3) factura consular (obtained from embassy/consulate), which essentially restates what is on the shipping manifest.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Keith

N

Nicolette

Thanks Keith!

Thanks a lot for your answer. The person who asked us could not get this information through the Dominican Consulate in the Netherlands, so they are happy to hear it from you!