I'd like to vote for Trujillo!

D

DEF

Is it too late to vote? I's like to vote for Trujillo. Maybe if there was another Trujillo the people of the Dominican Republic would vote him in! You see, the people vote for the loudest music and the most flags. They don't have a damn clue.
Elections are another form of holiday in a country full of holiday's. It's also an incovienience.
Hipolito.- there could be worse. There's alway's Clinton.

D

Dave S.

Your comments are so insightful....so genius....obviously a scholar.....should write a book...sure to be a best seller....

P

Peter

Careful with your witty critisism of Trujillo. There are still many living Dominicans who admire the x-dictator and truly believe things were better in the days when he was in control; no crime, excellent dollar-peso exchange rate, respect, a civil society in general. Don't take my word for it; ask Dominicans over 50, particularly the poor campasinos.

A word of advice to outsiders observing the dominican culture; 1) know the culture, 2) respect the culture. Dominicans have their own way of seeing things, which is of course their right. Their perception of how things should be does not always coincide with the viewpoints of the "1rst world"

R

Roberto

Hi D.D
ther is not many fan from trujillos left
remember that we are over the 65% under the 30 years old
but yes I do Agree with you
mostlly my friend
I Really liked this coment that you had wrote

:)

A word of advice to outsiders observing the dominican culture; 1) know the culture, 2) respect the culture. Dominicans have their own way of seeing things, which is of course their right. Their perception of how things should be does not always coincide with the viewpoints of the "1rst world"

S

Susanne

DEF, you remarks are way out of line. Trujillo was - litterally - a bloody dictator, and some people today are still suffering from his reign and what he did to those that opposed him. Saying that you would want Trujillo back is like telling people in Uganda that they should vote for Amin or the Chilean population that they should get Pinochet back. Have some respect for the suffering that those dictators have caused.

Peter, you are right that people should be careful to judge a country and a population that they hardly know. And it seems to me that the Dominican people have known full well who they wanted to vote for, and an outsider definitely shouldn't criticize an election that most foreign experts call fair. It's the peoples' choice and we can respect that. But as for criticism of Trujillo? He was never a democratically elected ruler, and though I know that quite a few Dominicans still feel affection for the memory of the "Trujillo era", I also know that a very large amount count themselves lucky that those days are over, for the reasons mentioned above.

Regards,
Susanne

N

Natasha

Def,

Please tell me this is a tongue in cheek post, really.

Regards,
Natasha

T

Tom

Susanne

Some fools in the US would like to see Reagan back :)

I know Trujillo is no joking matter, but people tend to remember the "good times" of any era and quickly forget the troubles

Tom