Marriage in the DR for a k3 - a specific question

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
Hello,

I have searched and read many posts on Marriage in the DR, and visited dominicanstotheus as well, but none *seem* to specifically address this...

1. A male US citizen with a DR cedula and permanent residency card
2. A female DR citizen with a DR passport, but without a visa
3. Wanting to marry in the DR
4. Wanting to then have a what would be a legal marriage as determined by US law
5. Wanting to then begin a K-3 visa process abroad (in the DR) to bring spouse to the US.

In this case, what would be needed and what would be the steps, and what may end up being not needed depending on office / region?

Considering that we have the above pieces of ID, what should I *actually* expect to need? For example, will I automatically be asked for my US birth certificate, and for it to be officially translated and legalized if I have a cedula, DR drivers license, and DR residency card? In a small town where everybody in the oficialia civil knows her, will she still automatically be asked for the long legalized version of her birth certificate (considering she has her DR passport and cedula as ID)?

My concern is spending time and money now and then having to redo something because the US won't recognize the marriage certificate for a K-3 visa application.

Thanks in advance for any help and direction

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Both of you needs the "Certificado de solteria" like a proof you are currently single. Copy of divorce certification if married in the past, ?pronunciamiento de divorcio? if divorced in the DR, birth certication and cedulas. Yes you can start the process abroad (in the DR) this is no a problem as you are an American citizen but if you are not currently living and working in The US (reporting taxes) you?ll need some one else to do the affidavit of support for your petitioner, if you have some properties in the DR a house for examp. Get lawyer to do an appraisal of the property and summit it together with the I-864 affidavit of support form this will help.
My wife did all this process by her self living in the DR, my visa was approved in about two years thanks to one of the member of this forum who did the affidavit of support for me.
Any question doesn?t hesitate to PM me.

JJ