Interview for k1 Visa

niceyo2002

Jul 14, 2009
Hey guys. This is my first post and would like to say hi to everyone. I am an American citizen and applied for the K1 visa for my girlfriend who lives in the Dominican Republic. The petition got approved and they gave us the date of our interview (3rd of august). All my records are set, the affidavit, etc. The only problem is this:

1.I am disabled - My left foot was amputated when I was 14 years old (I am 22 now). currently receiving welfare, and have a case pending for my dad's social security. Usually my mother and sister support me.

2. I'm currently attending college (full time) and I am about to finish soon.

I do have proof that I am attending college such as a verification letter and transcript, I also have a doctor's letter stating my condition and the inability of being able to work. I am curious to know if they will still approve my girlfriend's visa because I really want this to work.

Also, can anyone tell the types of questions they will be asking? tips, advice? Its not that im nervous about the interview, our relationship is official and we have more than 3 years together. Please let me know, thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I hate to discourage you, but years ago when I applied for my husband's K1 visa I had to provide proof that I could fully support him. They will normally not approve anyone who may end up being a public charge [i.e. welfare] in the US. In your case, because of your disability, I would get affidavits of support from your mother's and sister's jobs, if they would be willing. And that's not to say that the Embassy will even consider them. If they DO accept them, it would mean that your sister and your mother would be liable if your wife ever collects welfare - they would have to repay it. I would tread very carefully.

niceyo2002

Jul 14, 2009
Is it still ok if if I have another affidavit instead of my mother and sister? I also forgot to mention that my mother lives under social security. But aside of my mother and sister, can I use a different affidavit such as my neighbor?

fullboat

Mar 25, 2009
I am very familiar with this problem as my brother just went through it..If you arealready married then it is easier as there is a new CR-1 visa and all you need is a co-signer as an affidavit of support. No need to sweat it as long as someone will sign the papers in your behalf and assume the responsibilities that your wife will not become a public charge.The wait time will be about 10-13 months.Go to visajourney.com for all the info you can ever imagine on this subject.