A Missionary in Paradise

Funwhileserving

Jan 12, 2009
Thanks to all who gave me advice and feedback while planning our trip. 20 missionaries from teen to senior citizen landed in Santo Domingo and got on a very comfortable bus to Barahona. We stopped at Pollo Rey somewhere.... maybe Bani?

Got to Barahona around dinner time. The bus couldn't go up the hill to the mission house where we were staying so we climbed into the back of pickup trucks for the first of many bumpy, windy trips.

We saw the mission house and met our host family. We had a nice light supper, picked out our beds and went to sleep.

The next morning we had time to look around a bit and go to Sunday School. Our neighborhood was full of kids and dogs. From the roof we could see the ocean on one side and the hills on the other.

At Sunday School, we were amazed to see about 50 kids singing and listening to Bible stories without wiggling or talking. Here in the US we need one adult for every 5 kids just to keep them quiet. The kids sang their hearts out and tried to sing along as we sang a couple of songs in English.

After that, we went to the beach, I think it was at San Rafael. I was almost moved to tears to see such beautiful water. What a color! I learned why it is called the Larimar Coast. I was the first one into the water. I was shocked by the cold water right at the waterline. I realized it was fresh water from a nearby river. Once I got out a bit, it was really wonderfully warm. I swam out pretty far and got caught by the undertow. I was rolled around and scraped up on rocks, and I ended up with a hole in the bottom of my swim suit!

That evening we went to church in town. It was 1/3 full of Dominicans and 2/3 full of missionaries. Pastor Pedro was so taken with the idea of a woman pastor that he asked our pastor to help with Communion. She had to read from the Bible in Spanish, and she doesn't speak a word! It was a great service. The congregation was very welcoming and friendly.

The next day would be our first day at the Batey. I will continue later.

Reactions: Black Dog

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
God bless your hearts! Do you also have skills in fixing electric meters? Your sister in the Lord helped me already. I may need your further assistance. Please, contact me via PM.

Dude, so where exactly does it say that Christians should not steal electricity??

Oh, er, yeah, um OK. I found it. Next to that stuff about one's neighbour's ox.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
God bless your hearts! Do you also have skills in fixing electric meters? Your sister in the Lord helped me already. I may need your further assistance. Please, contact me via PM.

Come on...thats not the OP's fault that your landlord who claims to be Christian and steels your electricity.

Lots of ppl who claim to be Christians (and of other religions for that matter) do things way worse than stealing electricity....

To the OP...I enjoyed reading your post. I am not religious in any way, but I believe I will enjoy reading about your stay in the Dominican Republic.

Thanks for sharing!

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Lots of ppl who claim to be Christians (and of other religions for that matter) do things way worse than stealing electricity....

Exactly! After 6 years of going to a Baptist church in my hometown and seeing it from the inside I decided i do not want to go to that temple of hypocrisy. Nice looking from outside and rotten from inside - that is the state of today's Christianity.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Exactly! After 6 years of going to a Baptist church in my hometown and seeing it from the inside I decided i do not want to go to that temple of hypocrisy. Nice looking from outside and rotten from inside - that is the state of today's Christianity.

Martin Luther King was a Baptist minister so he is automatically rotten too?
Mother Teresa ?

I am not religious but darn, some on the antiChristian posters on this board need to calm down with their biases.
Not every Christian is bad and has bad intentions.

As I said before there is good and bad in every group.

OP nice trip report and ignore the closed minded, biased posters who are just at the edge of their seats, waiting to attack you soley based on the fact that you say you are a Christian.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
You are mistaken in your assumption. I am still a Christian. But I belive in Jesus, not in pastors and boasting missionaries who preach the Lord and steal your money. You need to separate today's Christianity and real believers.

Since as you said you are not "religious" you judge from outside. I know it from the inside.

Last edited:

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Were you part of the missionary group that got robbed in "Batey" Bombita, near Canoa in Barahona?

Roban dolares y celulares a mioneras de Estados Unidos en Barahona : Cuatriboliao.Net

What do you think about the story stating that these missionaries were here on "vacation" rather than to work or help?

Would like to hear more about your trip, like what kind of work you guys did, where at and how you felt people here responded (given the other thread 'attitudes toward missionaries').

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
You are mistaken in your assumption. I am still a Christian. But I belive in Jesus, not in pastors and boasting missionaries who preach the Lord and steal your money. You need to separate today's Christianity and real believers.

Since as you said you are not "religious" you judge from outside. I know it from the inside.

Your assumptions are incorrect again...I was raised in a very Christian household, I know it from the inside aswell. That is why I said there is good and bad. Your post only mentions the bad and that is what I took issue with.

I dont see the OP boasting and no proof of any theft.
I am with aloicous who said your issue with your landlord HAS NOTHING to do with the OPs trip report...so why inject it into this thread. Not necessary.
So I didnt think your jumping on the OPs back fair. They are just sharing their trip report. Whats the big deal?

Funwhileserving

Jan 12, 2009
Ok, I don't know why so many of you have your knickers in a knot. We were not robbed while in the DR. One of our group had a camera stolen from a suitcase by the airport people, there or at Atlanta. We did not steal anyone's electricity. When the power went out at the mission house, our host turned on his generator. Come to think of it, if he was stealing power from his neighbors, we had no way of knowing. If you don't like Christians, don't read my posts.

Back to my story...... First day in the Batey. We rode in the back of the pickups about an hour to Batey 7 where there is a health clinic where our doctor and two nurses and a Spanish teacher saw patients. The main complaints were stomach pain, so we gave a lot of worm pills. Many patients had made up ills to get a baggie of Tylenol to have on hand. The Spanish they speak there was very hard for us to understand. Some spoke only Creole, and everyone used words unfarmiliar to us. There was no running water and no electricity for part of the day. They ran the generator when they had to use the breathing treatment machine. They had water outside.

The larger portion of our group was pouring a cement floor for a wheelchair bound lady so she could move around easier in her house.

At the end of the day, my heart broke for several reasons. Our group brought 900 pounds of donations, including medicine, clothes, school supplies, and toys. We asked Pastor Pedro if we could hand our some of the clothes. He told us it was a bad idea, but we insisted. I don't know why he organized the hand out the way he did, but it turned into a riot. I mean that literally. He went out side the gate with a few pieces of clothes. Very quickly, 100-200 kids and adults pressed in around him. He handed out one piece of clothes at a time. Some in our group started handing things through the fence. Nobody said thank you. Once they got something, many of them didn't back away so someone else could have a chance. They hid the item behind their back and asked for more. The adults were pressing in on the kids. Our group was becoming more and more upset both by the way Pastor Pedro was handing out things one at a time, and by the dangerous behavior of the people. We truly thought someone would get knocked down and trampled. The people pushed Pastor Pedro back and through the gates. People poured in. Several men took off their belts and started whipping the kids who rushed in. The gates were closed again, and Pastor Pedro called for all the mothers with babies to go to another gate. They were allowed in and given clothes. By that time we were all sick with anger, worry and shame that things turned out the way they did.

If we had been in charge, we would have had several lines, so that many people could get stuff at the same time. We would have only given stuff to kids and not adults (it was all kid clothes) We would have made sure people who got something went away.

This was one of many incidents that highlighted the cultural gap that we experienced. Nobody said thank you. Adults pushed kids aside. People laughed as they whipped children.

After that we went back to the Mission house which became our island of peace and rest. The family we stayed with was so wonderful, kind and welcoming.

The next day was the same for the medical team (without the riot) and the building team worked on latrines.

The day after that, we went to a Batey called Cuchilla, the little knife. We set up a clinic in the school. It was a beautiful school for the most part, but it looked unused. There was no water or power. There were several doctors from two different mission groups. They set up in a nice classroom. The pharmacy, which consisted of about 5 suitcases of various medications, set up in a classroom with a slanted floor. The tiles had come up from the margins of the room. We got right to work and saw over 100 patients. The day went very quickly. Once again, almost nobody said please or thank you. What's up with that? Once again, the main complaints were stomach pain.

The rest of the group built latrines again. I will describe that in detail later.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
No please, no thank you??
Not forming orderly queues?
Pushing and shoving??
What is up with that? Obviously these people are godless savages.

Funwhileserving

Jan 12, 2009
"godless savages" your words not mine. It was a matter of poor crown control on our part. People get killed at Walmart due to poor crowd control. Would you call them godless savages?

I learned that many missionary groups that come are there only to do evangalism, which is not what we were doing. We were trying to improve people's living conditions regardless of their beliefs.

Back to my story.... I forgot to mention the sewing school. At Batey 7 there was a room full of treadle sewing machines. There was a teacher there who was teaching the women how to sew sheets and curtains and stuff like that. We brought hundreds of yards of fabric which we gave them. We also brought patterns to make kid's clothing, which we left with them. Many of the sewing machines were broken, and the teacher was disappointed that we didn't bring any machines.

Latrines..... Before we came, the pit was dug and filled with a cement liner. We built framing, put up the corrugated metal walls, and put on a roof. There were lots of abandonded latrines there too. Apparently, the latrines fill up and don't drain so they become unusable eventually. Also, we learned that the area floods, knocking over the buildings and ruining the latrines. What to do.....

We were working in people's back yards. They brough out chairs to watch us. They were very friendly and offered us food and drink. They were grateful for the new latrine, even if it wouldn't last forever. We enjoyed the goats, cows and dogs. The livestock looked very healthy.

We did this for 5 days, staying at the mission house every night. We loved playing with the neighborhood kids. They would stand outside yelling "Americanos" until we came out to play. Since we had a doctor with us, we were able to tend to some health problems right there on the street.

That is really the extent of the missionary portion of our trip. We moved to a hotel and became tourists for a few days.

Go ahead and critize me. I don't care. Since many people here are so anti-missionary, I thought I'd let you know what our group did.

Are the lives of the people we met any better for having met us? I think so, in the short term. The kids got one on one attention and encouragement. The patients we saw may have gotten some relief. The families who got latrines and floors got an upgrade. But we didn't fix any problems. We all realized we were offering a bandaid to some very huge problems that we couldn't fix in 5 days.

Something else I wanted to mentioned. We went through lots of police or military check points as we drove around. Our hosts told us they were looking for Haitians. I asked how someone proves they aren't a Haitian. Nobody carries a passport around with them. Our host said that the police look at the facial features and body language of people to determine if they are Haitian! I couldn't believe it! Talk about racial profiling!!! Haitians have smaller ears than Dominicans. There were some other features our host mentioned but I only remember the ears. Also, Haitians stand very still when they are being questioned because they are scared. Lastly, one a Haitian starts to speak, the jig is up because of the accent. I asked our host do Haitians ever try to "pass" for Dominicans, and he said never, it's impossible. I know one time we had a dark skinned friend with us, and he got a long look from the police guy. Checking out his ears?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Many of the sewing machines were broken, and the teacher was disappointed that we didn't bring any machines.

~snip~

We were working in people's back yards. They brough out chairs to watch us. They were very friendly and offered us food and drink.
^^^These^^^ actions didn't give you a clue what those folks thought of your efforts?

YOU build THEM latrines, anf THEY sit in chairs while YOU do the actual work????:cheeky:

And you wonder why folks make fun of you? Seriously?

I, for one, am not "anti-missionary". Not "anti-Do Gooder", really, although they do need some therapeutic mocking.

You guys neither teach a man to fish, or give them fish. Y'all do the fishing FOR them!:cheeky:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
While I don't fully agree that missionary/church trips are the best manner in which to help people, I see nothing wrong with people attempting to help in the manner in which they desire.

I appreciate Funwhileserving taking the effort to come back & report on the trip - I usually find it interesting to see how other's view of the country differs from mine (and how their first time impressions are similar to what mine were before I 'knew better'). Funwhileserving's also due some respect for taking a beating from some on here & responding in a way that hasn't really escalated the argument.

What I will ask though... Isn't there some irony in the title of the thread "A Missionary in Paradise"? While it's a beautiful country in places and a playground for some with money, it's obviously not paradise for everyone including some of the circumstances you mentioned yourself.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"

Latrines..... Before we came, the pit was dug and filled with a cement liner. We built framing, put up the corrugated metal walls, and put on a roof. There were lots of abandonded latrines there too. Apparently, the latrines fill up and don't drain so they become unusable eventually. Also, we learned that the area floods, knocking over the buildings and ruining the latrines. What to do.....

That is really the extent of the missionary portion of our trip. We moved to a hotel and became tourists for a few days.

Go ahead and critize me. I don't care. Since many people here are so anti-missionary, I thought I'd let you know what our group did.

Are the lives of the people we met any better for having met us? I think so, in the short term. The kids got one on one attention and encouragement. The patients we saw may have gotten some relief. The families who got latrines and floors got an upgrade. But we didn't fix any problems. We all realized we were offering a bandaid to some very huge problems that we couldn't fix in 5 days.

Something else I wanted to mentioned. We went through lots of police or military check points as we drove around. Our hosts told us they were looking for Haitians. I asked how someone proves they aren't a Haitian. Nobody carries a passport around with them. Our host said that the police look at the facial features and body language of people to determine if they are Haitian! I couldn't believe it! Talk about racial profiling!!! Haitians have smaller ears than Dominicans. There were some other features our host mentioned but I only remember the ears. Also, Haitians stand very still when they are being questioned because they are scared. Lastly, one a Haitian starts to speak, the jig is up because of the accent. I asked our host do Haitians ever try to "pass" for Dominicans, and he said never, it's impossible. I know one time we had a dark skinned friend with us, and he got a long look from the police guy. Checking out his ears?

The Haitians have no problem is they are legal. Glad you enjoyed your trip. My wife's relatives, at least some of them, don't seem to know the thank you word either, however I have been thanked many times, for all sorts of minor things.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I believe Funwhileserving is doing a good job, but still has a lot to learn, and should listen more often to Pastor Pedro, who knows how things are done down...

I believe Christian missionary are doing good things that make a difference. Indeed, it would be nice for them, once the basics are setup (health, hygiene..) to focus on education (teaching to read & write, as there are many illiterate people) and professional formation (learning a basic trade).

I believe missionary should work together with the local "cofraternidad de pastores", and employ as much local church-goers as they can, to do the labor.

Once in church, ask the pastor for a skilled electrician, a skilled plumber, a skilled "ebanista", maybe even a "computer geek", so you can start to donate things and know it will be taken care of (to a certain extent...)

Missionary from the USA should also learn Spanish... It (really) helps...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We've come a long way when the white foreigners build the latrine, and the black locals supervise in chairs under shade, sipping cool drinks...:cheeky:

Y'all want to REALLY make an impact on those poor unfortunates? Put ONE person in that barrio, F/T, and instead of giving airlines, hotels and bars your $$$, send it to your rep to build and supply a frickin' SCHOOL so kids get a real honest-to-God edumacation. Instead of making yourselves "feel good", make a poor kids undeveloped mind "think good." I'll bet it cost each missionary $400 airfare, $300 hotels, $200 food, and $100 miscellaneous; $US1,000. And 9 missionaries? Do you have ANY idea what $US9000 could DO for ONE school in that barrio?

That is my problem with missionaries: they have the right yo-yo, but the wrong string.

If every missionary and expat sponsored just ONE kid in a REAL school, the actual, lasting impact would be enormous. I know for a FACT that a $US500 donation here put 4 14y.o. "at risk" (i.e., heading down the early pregnancy path) girl in a fine Catholic School for an entire year. To see the impact in just ONE YEAR on these young ladies made re-upping that much easier.

Look at the lasting effect Hillbilly, J D Sauser and MikeFisher have made on the lives of young people. THAT is how you get it done.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That is my problem with missionaries: they have the right yo-yo, but the wrong string.

If every missionary and expat sponsored just ONE kid in a REAL school, the actual, lasting impact would be enormous. I know for a FACT that a $US500 donation here put 4 14y.o. "at risk" (i.e., heading down the early pregnancy path) girl in a fine Catholic School for an entire year. To see the impact in just ONE YEAR on these young ladies made re-upping that much easier.

Look at the lasting effect Hillbilly, J D Sauser and MikeFisher have made on the lives of young people. THAT is how you get it done.

Exactly. The OP knows that his groups efforts were a bandage so now with some thought he can look at what will have a lasting effect. Education has a lasting effect. Being sponsored to go to a private Catholic school as a teenager was the best thing that ever happened to my wife.