Cachote

Funwhileserving

Jan 12, 2009
I took a tour with Eco Tours Barahona that traveled around in the mountains to the cloud forest at Cachote. It was a trip of a lifetime. After an exciting, bumpy ride in a 4 wheel drive truck, we stopped at a look out point to see the river valley. I think it was the Paraiso river. We saw the road we would be taking later in the day that wound through a coffee plantation.

We got to stop and meet a local family and look at their house and outdoor kitchen. They had the ruins of a coffee processing building on their property.

The weather got wetter and colder as we continued to climb to Cachote. We drove up to the rustic, cabin-like visitor center and saw that a group of students was there. Our group went inside and was offered the most delicious coffee that I have ever tasted in my life. It had a sweet, spicy flavor that I will always remember.

We were met by a guide who lead us on a hike filled with wonders at every turn. Our guide's name was Ramon, and his Spanish was very easy for me to understand, unlike many people in the DR. He was very knowledgeable about the facts and also the folklore of the rainforest.

After the hike, we were a served a really delicious lunch of Dominican food. We then started down the mountains. We stopped at some kind of former resort with cool pools, water falls, and a water slide.

This day was my very favorite day in the DR, because it was interesting from beginning to end.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Can you please post the phone number and the website of the Eco Tours Barahona?
Sounds interesting and a lot of fun...I am glad you enjoyed it...
thanks to share with us...

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
I agree, the tour to Cachote is something really special.
Even dominicans do not know that paradise.

Beside this tour I had another one with ECO Tours.
Laguna Oviedo
Living in the region and passing by many times - I never tought that this lagoon is so beautiful. Do not forget repellent!
You see various birds, Rhino Leguans and flamingos. I was very impressed about the seaturtles!! If you are there,during turtle season, this tour is a must.