$35 Hotel?

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Can anyone recommend a clean halfway decent hotel for around US$35 per night in Santo Domingo? Not to concerned with what area as long as it is not a combat zone and A/C would be nice.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If you have an open mind, (this hotel had a rep as a gay hotel in the past, but I never saw any signs of this earlier this month) - you could try the Duque du Wellington hostel on Ave. Independencia at about US$43 a night. I personally like cheap, clean and quiet and could care less who else is staying in the same hotel.

Great A/C, quiet at night, clean rooms, good laundry service, but a few hustlers passing on the sidewalks at the end of the day, and several hookers patrolling the sidewalks out front after dark. Just tell the hookers you are married to a dominican and they will leave you in peace. There is a good colmado just across the street, a good restaurant down the block, and a pharmacy.

Within walking distance of Zona Colonial during the day, but probably not a good idea to walk very far after dark - you might run into trouble these days. Taxis respond quickly if needed. Their staff also speak many languages, and they have a travel agency in the lobby if you need any changes to your plans.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Try these:

Hotel Monumental - (entrance on el conde) the cheapest hotel and most basic but clean. They want $45.00 paying by credit card or $35.00/night paying cash. (hotelmonumental.com.do) tel (809) 682-4747.

Gran Hotel Aida - (around the corner from el conde w/ some rooms above the el conde) very nice, clean. they want $55.00/night (email hotelaida@codetel.net.do) tel (809) 685-7692.

Aparta Hotel Roma - (around the corner from el conde w/ some rooms above the el conde) very nice and very clean all and all (everything considered) maybe your best bet. they want $45.00/night (email apartahotel_roma@hotmail.com) tel (809) 682-0318.

I personally would recommended the Aparta Hotel Roma, which has rooms overlooking El Conde in the Colonial Zone, in my opinion for what you get the best deal by far. Whenever I have a friend coming to town that wants a nice place, big rooms, this is the one I suggest they go with.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Suggest that you try the Maison Gautreaux. They have an excellent price and the location is the best on the island. You just can't beat it for the price. The place is super clean, with daily maid service and 24 hour armed security. The best! - They are located in Santo Domingo near the Intercontinental Hotel on the Malecon. They have a restaurant and bar and air conditioning in the rooms. Of my 11 trips to Santo Domingo, I have found nothing better for the price! - Call them at 809-412-7838 or 809-687-4856. Hotel Maison Gautreaux... En Santo Domingo, Algo Distinto. Tell them that David sent you! - - Enjoy your trip

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
What's the price?

Suggest that you try the Maison Gautreaux. They have an excellent price and the location is the best on the island. You just can't beat it for the price. The place is super clean, with daily maid service and 24 hour armed security. The best! - They are located in Santo Domingo near the Intercontinental Hotel on the Malecon. They have a restaurant and bar and air conditioning in the rooms. Of my 11 trips to Santo Domingo, I have found nothing better for the price! - Call them at 809-412-7838 or 809-687-4856. Hotel Maison Gautreaux... En Santo Domingo, Algo Distinto. Tell them that David sent you! - - Enjoy your trip

David you have stayed there 11 times, so what is the price? I have passed by there and have plans to stop in one day for a meal to sample it's restaurant (quality of food, and prices), but again what's this excellent price for the rooms?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Suggest that you try the Maison Gautreaux. They have an excellent price and the location is the best on the island.........

David you have stayed there 11 times, so what is the price? I have passed by there and have plans to stop in one day for a meal to sample it's restaurant (quality of food, and prices), but again what's this excellent price for the rooms?

Yayow please stop by Maison Gautreaux and give us your opinion.

I had reservations at this hotel once. I entered the lobby and just got bad vibes about the hotel. I politely declined, and left never to return. There is really nothing special about the location of the hotel. Casano Dorado, Riazor, Duque Wellington, Hotel Venezia all have a much better location.

Also to the best of my knowledge Maison Gautreaux does not have on site parking.

Please note the lobby looks nothing like shown in the web link. Dakra do you have any recent pics you can post?

Hotel Maison Gautreaux... En Santo Domingo, Algo Distinto.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Looks like a lot of options in that price range.

Getting back to the OP's original question of US $35 a night.

Hotel La Danae

Two options in Gazcue that are nice and even a little cheaper -- Hotel La Residence on Calle Danae: Hotel La Residence, Santo Domingo and Hotel Plaza YU on Calle Pasteur: 809.686-7322

Actually this is good to know, I didn't realize that there were so many reasonable priced, and budget conscience hotels in the area. The ones I listed I did the research myself and actually took pictures of and went to the hotels to ask for the prices and sent the info to the friend, including the photos, that was looking for something in the Colonial Zone.

Just from walking I also have seen many hotels in Ciudad Nueva, basically just south of Parque Independencia and North of the Malecon, but I haven't checked out the insides or prices. One of these days just for curiosity sake, I will probably go into them on one of my walks and possibly take some pictures, and post them, that is if I knew how to post pictures here.

On a side note is there a thread on the site that explains the procedure of posting photos, I have seen a few of you actually post pictures in the past.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
hello
BIGBIRD you are talking about parking space and suggesting LA DANAE?
they dont have parking space either

Hotel Maison Gautreaux... En Santo Domingo, Algo Distinto.

Hotel Maison Gautreaux Your Home in Santo Domingo
Personally I would not stay at either one of the above hotels simply because I need onsite parking. I stayed at one hotel with off site parking and woke up the next morning with all four hubcaps missing. What an adventure explaining that to the rental car company.

I mentioned La Danae as a less than $35 a night alternative. I have my favorite hotel I stay at all the time with off street parking, in room high speed internet, frig, a/c, full planta, friendly staff, peaceful and quiet @ $55 a night.