Shame and pride on DR elections

G

Guillermo

I think the DR has made remarkable progress in how it reacts to social and political events. It is a shame though, that some government and independent organizations still do not reflect the same growth. I believe it's a disgrace that the JCE was caught off guard and intimidated by the PRD self-proclaimed victory. What happened to the JCE's authority and ability to conduct itself in such circumstances? Isn't the JCE the highest ranked organization in electoral matters, and therefore shouldn't it have acted as such?

On the same note, the PRD self-proclaimed victory is something that we need to keep in mind and avoid in the future. A political leader aspiring for the highest ranked political position, promising a government of unity and truth, but so impatient that he would not abide by the same rules he is promising to enforce. Is the country so blind that we can't see these things?

Finally, congratulations to the PLD for making the decision to drop out of an election run that just meant a waste of resources for the country. This is how a country is run. I wish we had more time and opportunities for similar thinking, and I hope that the lesson is not wasted and we all learned from it.

Congratulations to the PRD for its victory, and to the PLD for a conscious participation keeping the country's needs up-front.

H

hillbilly

Guillermo: There was no patriotic motivation for the PLD's retreat from the Second Round. It was just very hard, cruel reality.
A second round with the PLD vs. the PRD would have been close to political suicide. The Political Bureau of the PLD was smart enough to know that there was no hope for an effective alliance with the PRSC, even thought, between them, they had some 50+% of the popular vote. The PRSC members would not have voted for the PLD, not this time.
In two years there will be congressional and municipal elections and perhaps then the populace can show its approval or disapproval of the first government in 20 years to have 100% control of the country's political apparatus. Time will tell.

R

Ralph

Right on Hillbilly. What a shock that Hipolito made a declaration he was the winner when the overwhelming majority of the populace was voting for him! Does Guillermo not think Danilo would have done the same thing if the situation were reversed.
Thank Goodness!!