Lower Flights! $110

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Just saw an news article on one of the Cable Shows that says that Summer Travel Flights and Deals are really kicking in soon. They claim that prices on selected cities to Europe have cut like 40 to 50 percent off. These deals begin after August 18th and run through the fall. The also said there are good deals for the U.S. like Vegas and Chicago - But they did not specifically mention the caribbean. So now I had to search for myself to see if there was any truth to it...

I went on to Sidestep.com and searched for a flight from BOS to SDQ - The American Airlines rates are normally $179 each way plus taxes - -- I found flights for like $110 each way plus taxes on AA. The other carriers did show a slight decrease in price, but I did find AA with the best rate so far.

Remember, that this is after 18 August so start searching and book your flights to lock in the good rates.

Now, if we could just get the DR to lower their taxes/fees - you would really see some deals.

Travel Safe!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
prices drop now because all the dominicans in NYC and lowell/lawrence MA bought their tickets in april and may. kids get out of school and it's time to visit grandma in the campo. dominicans can't gamble that prices will go down or that a seat won't be available, so after the airlines screw the dominicans who "must" fly, and they are the majority on the flights out of NY/newark NJ, the planes are empty. after 9/11, world trade disaster, airplane tickets went dirt cheap, nobody was flying, NY to vegas for 29$, the prices to the DR actually went up. the airlines have a captive audience and they know it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
prices drop now because all the dominicans in NYC and lowell/lawrence MA bought their tickets in april and may. kids get out of school and it's time to visit grandma in the campo. dominicans can't gamble that prices will go down or that a seat won't be available, so after the airlines screw the dominicans who "must" fly, and they are the majority on the flights out of NY/newark NJ, the planes are empty. after 9/11, world trade disaster, airplane tickets went dirt cheap, nobody was flying, NY to vegas for 29$, the prices to the DR actually went up. the airlines have a captive audience and they know it.

I've heard that AAs flights to DR are their gravy train, always full.

I was very surprised to find tickets to SDQ from JFK for $129 each way for January 2010. Of course the darned taxes cost more than that.

EM2Thrasher

Jun 29, 2008
Sad but true

I feel the pain of having to fly out of Boston's "Logan" Airport to Santiago.

The cheapest I have got was $423 with American, connecting in Miami, which sucks for the flight back because customs check points are always full.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I feel the pain of having to fly out of Boston's "Logan" Airport to Santiago.

The cheapest I have got was $423 with American, connecting in Miami, which sucks for the flight back because customs check points are always full.

Does AA move your bags for you in Miami? How much time do you need to allow for a connection in Miami.

Anyone have any experience flying Spirit with a connection in Miami?

Thanks

EM2Thrasher

Jun 29, 2008
I have only checked bags once, and on the way down they transfered the bags.
But on the way back you have to pick up & then go thru customs. They have a staging area so you don't have to lug your stuff around for the connecting.

My next flight is with Spirit, I will let you know how it goes.

EM2Thrasher

Jun 29, 2008
oh yeah

as for connection time, I would say no less than 1:15m just in case...

Also, Spirit flys out of Fort Lauderdale Airport, rather than Miami.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
lower taxes would be great. jet blue is coming to baltimore in september hopefully there will be good prices to SDQ.

not to get off topic but in miami now customs is divided by us citizens and others. so customs takes a lot less time than before. not the mob scene most of us are use to. i came through miami on 7/6 coming in from costa rica.