Procedure for paying for tourist extension 'as we go'

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
I have a question for someone in the know. I have been searching on this forum and the web for sometime but still have no definite answer.

I understand the procedure for staying legal the whole time we are in the country requires us to pay extensions at the migration office in Santo Domingo.

My question is this: How exactly does this work? If I make the trip to Santo Domingo can I pay for the whole duration I want to be there probably between (1-2 years) or do I have to pay for the 30-90 extension then return to Santo Domingo again after 90 days and pay another extension and so on and so forth??

I cant find info on this. Does anyone know from personal experience?

I would suggest just go enjoy your stay and pay the fine when your leaving the country. Forget about going back and forth to the Capital, enjoy your stay wherever you are.

OVERSTAY PENALTIES

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
folks I thank you for your help but I am well aware I can pay when I leave. This is what I have done in the past. However, this time around (for personal reasons I may pay 'as I go').

Has anyone done this in the past and if so what is the procedure? Do I need to keep traveling to the capitol every 3 months or can I pay all up front. Help:ermm:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
folks I thank you for your help but I am well aware I can pay when I leave. This is what I have done in the past. However, this time around (for personal reasons I may pay 'as I go').

Has anyone done this in the past and if so what is the procedure? Do I need to keep traveling to the capitol every 3 months or can I pay all up front. Help:ermm:

No you don't need to travel to the capital every 3 months.

Yes you can pay all up front.

How do I know ?? I've always paid up front (asked and paid for a pr?rroga). If you pay for a 9 months- one year overstay and leave the D.R. after 8 months, I don't think you will receive a repayment from the D.R. government though. But who cares !!!!!

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Here are the latest overstay tarifas:

15 days - 3 months RD$800
3 months - 9 months RD$1,000
9 months - one year RD$2,500

1 year - 1.5 years RD$4,000
1.5 years - 2 years RD$5,000
2 years - 2.5 years RD$6,500

2.5 years - 3 years RD$9,000
3 years - 5 years RD$14,000
5 years on $RD17,000

Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service - Support (DR1)

Tambo,
Do you not get up to 29 days on a tourist visa and then start paying overstay fees from the 30th day?

Just a small point.

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Direccion General de Migracion

- IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA

<TABLE class=tarifas cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=570 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>DESCRIPCION</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>TARIFA VIGENTE</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>De 30 dias a 3 meses</TD><TD align=right>800.00 </TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>De 3 meses a 9 meses</TD><TD align=right>1,000.00 </TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>De 9 meses a 1 a?o</TD><TD align=right>2,500.00</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses</TD><TD align=right>4,000.00</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os</TD><TD align=right>5,000.00</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses</TD><TD align=right>6,500.00</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os</TD><TD align=right>9,000.00</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>De 2 a?os a 5 a?os</TD><TD align=right>14,000.00</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>De 5 a?os en adelante</TD><TD align=right>17,000.00</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
No you don't need to travel to the capital every 3 months.

Yes you can pay all up front.

How do I know ?? I've always paid up front (asked and paid for a pr?rroga). If you pay for a 9 months- one year overstay and leave the D.R. after 8 months, I don't think you will receive a repayment from the D.R. government though. But who cares !!!!!

Thank you La Mariposa for your help. This is what I needed to know!!

1 question: If I pay for the 9-12 month extension upfront then later we deciede to stay longer say.. to stay for 2 years for example. Then I would have to return to the capitol to pay for another extension.

Would I pay the difference between the 12 month extension and the 2 year($1500rd) or would I pay $2500rd then another $4000rd? do you know how that works?

Thanks

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
You can pay when your leaving, Havent you read anything people have posted. Never mind keep going to the Capital and waste your time or just pay when your leaving.

Why do you bother replying to my question if you don't have an answer? I have my reasons for asking this particular question and I am well aware I can pay when I leave but like I said I have my reasons for wanting to learn more about this other option.

It looks like La mariposa might have the answers I need. Hopefully she can answer my question.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Thank you La Mariposa for your help. This is what I needed to know!!

1 question: If I pay for the 9-12 month extension upfront then later we deciede to stay longer say.. to stay for 2 years for example. Then I would have to return to the capitol to pay for another extension.

Would I pay the difference between the 12 month extension and the 2 year($1500rd) or would I pay $2500rd then another $4000rd? do you know how that works?

Thanks

Yes you will have to go back to the capital to pay for another extension.

As for your second question paying the difference... Sorry, I don't know never been in that situation

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Hell I have a question ive been here almost 3 years i know i have to pay a fine of about 9000 peso but im just going back home for a vacation will i have any problems when i return to teh D.R?? T.I.A

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Hell I have a question ive been here almost 3 years i know i have to pay a fine of about 9000 peso but im just going back home for a vacation will i have any problems when i return to teh D.R?? T.I.A

Why would you have problems returning to the D.R. ??

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
You shouldn't have any problems. As long as you pay the overstay fine everybody is happy.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks guys i got my 9000 peso ready to pay immigration i know i dont really have to pay more than that so they cant try and charge me more :squareeye