Dominican Polite-itudes

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BettyDiamond

we all know de nada by now .....but what are some other expressions that one would use everyday to be polite ......such as the equivalent of "after you" when opening a door....maybe people can suggest what they use when being polite...im english so I spend most of my day apologising lol

B

BettyDiamond

oh ...that was what i would have guessed ...thank you
any other strange ones

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Buen Provecho when someone is eating, it's the equivalent of "Bon apetit"
and this only used in DR as far as I know, but "A buen tiempo", this what you say when you receive visitors while you're eating - I think its a polite way of say "I'm eating, and no you're not getting any". hehe.

B

BettyDiamond

good one - I have noticed theres not much in the way of politeness at the supermarket, but thats the same everywhere lol

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
DISCULPE....................disculpe me podria ayudar?
excuse me, would you help me?

that reminds me....I went a couple of weeks ago to a major bank in the DR, to open an account and the girl was so robotic and her voice was so monotone....geezzzz

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
BettyD, should you ever warrant a "Muchas gracias" from anyone you can always try 'Fue un placer' or depending on the situation, 'De nalgas.'

Reactions: jrhartley

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Many polite words, phrases etc. are universal in Spanish...

we all know de nada by now .....but what are some other expressions that one would use everyday to be polite ......such as the equivalent of "after you" when opening a door....maybe people can suggest what they use when being polite...im english so I spend most of my day apologising lol

Many polite phrases and social niceties are cultural and part of the Spanish language thus used in the Spanish-speaking world. They are not necessarily country or nation specific although a few phrases or words can be heard in certain regions or countries. I think there are many that would be helpful to you in Spanish that can be used in the DR and elsewhere. I think when you say Dominican specific you automatically limit the responses you can potentially get.

Buen Provecho when someone is eating, it's the equivalent of "Bon apetit"
and this only used in DR as far as I know, but "A buen tiempo", this what you say when you receive visitors while you're eating - I think its a polite way of say "I'm eating, and no you're not getting any". hehe.

Buen provecho is used all over the Spanish-speaking world not just in the DR. My friends usually beat me to it when we meet for lunch or dinner and they are Peruvian, Colombian, Venezuelan just to name a few nationalities in the group. Just last week I went out to lunch with a friend of mine. We both did not know that we were sitting very close to a Latina. When she left she made sure to say to both of us 'buen provecho' and she definitely was not Dominican (Latin for sure though based on her looks).

~Marianopolita.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think Uruguayo was talking about "a buen tiempo" as unique to the DR, not the univeral "buen provecho".

When I first heard "a buen tiempo" I thought it was a little sarcastic, as in "what good timing".

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks...

Yes, I see that now after reading the phrase over.

~Marianopolita.

I think Uruguayo was talking about "a buen tiempo" as unique to the DR, not the univeral "buen provecho".

When I first heard "a buen tiempo" I thought it was a little sarcastic, as in "what good timing".

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Funny

This is funny because I have noticed that most Dominicans at least many that I seem to run into very seldom even say "thank you" and "please".

But one thing I notice they do say is "Con Permiso" they use it if they are passing you on the street, often if you are walking slowly and they want to pass you, or if you have stopped in the street to look in a window or to talk with someone, as they pass they will say that. Also if you are entering or exiting a building and someone is blocking your path they use it. I believe literally it means, with your permission.

A nice way of saying let me pass.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Spanish speakers generally (not just Dominicans) don't say please and thank you as much as English speakers. The same way as few cultures in the world say "sorry" as often as the English.

e.g.- it's more about the way you ask that denotes politeness - there are ways of asking respectfully that do not include the word please. A polite English speaker may march into a shop and launch into a request, saying please, but this would still be considered rude in the DR where one is expected to greet the person serving you, and all other shoppers if it is a small shop, before asking for anything.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
So "buen tiempo" means enjoy your meal?
"A buen tiempo" is said by the person who is eating to someone who walks into the room or walks past the table - I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to convey - maybe someone could elaborate?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
It conveys: stop lookin at my meal - you're not getting any!

With regard to con permiso, common everywhere in the spanish speaking world - the response in most places is, "si, pase" or something along those lines, in the DR the common response is "si, puede", or just "puede" - it's a formality, nobody is really asking for permission, but the response is that its granted.

Another response that I find interesting. When asked "como estas?" or "como te sientes?" (how do you feel?) a good chunk of people won't say the usual "bien", but rather "normal" - which I guess is an honest answer. "Como te sientes" would definately be a regional thing - I've never encountered anyone of another nationality that I don't know ask me this.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
'a buen tiempo'- a blogger's commentary-

I tried to research this expression some more as I am not familiar with it. It seems extremely local however, not difficult to understand in a situation IMO that would clarify the context. I may be wrong. However, I was not comfortable with El_Uruguayo's response so I thought I would try to find something. Once again, the participation of others reading the forum would be helpful. Anyway I found a commentary about the meaning and context of the expression, a dominicanism by a Dominican blogger (but I am not sure if he is Dominican. I would have to read more of his blog). This was more along the lines I was thinking. I just needed a reference to back me up per se.

'A buen tiempo'. It?s one of the many idiomatic expressions that distinguish the Dominican language. If you walk in on people having a meal, a snack, or cualquier cosa, ?a buen tiempo? is an invitation to compartir, to share, and I?ve heard that in the absence of more food in the pot, people will give you half of what they have on their plate. Compartir. House visitors are virtually always offered something in the way of food or drink? maybe juice? more often coffee ? just a shot, but strong, pretty much espresso. If nothing else, visitors are offered a piece of candy? often really a cough drop? maybe sometimes bubblegum.

Chiri and El_Uruguayo with the definition and context given by the blogger do they fit the scenario you experienced when you heard the expression used? I will ask a few folks here but in the mean time I am curious too now since both your experiences seem opposite to this blogger's definition.

Thanks...

palabras sin fronteras: a buen tiempo

~Marianopolita.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
It conveys: stop lookin at my meal - you're not getting any!

"A Buen Tiempo" (on good time) convey the message that the arriving person is just on time to enjoy the meal, that the person eating is willing to share his meal. Usually it is a formality unless accompanied with something else (let's eat, grab a plate, help yourself). "A buen tiempo" is commonly answered with "Buen Provecho", meaning he/she hopes he/she enjoys his/her meal.

With regard to con permiso, common everywhere in the spanish speaking world - the response in most places is, "si, pase" or something along those lines, in the DR the common response is "si, puede", or just "puede" - it's a formality, nobody is really asking for permission, but the response is that its granted.

"Con Permiso" (or "con su permiso") it's not a formality, it's expected to be said when you need to pass by somebody who's blocking a path or similar situations. You might ignore it but do it at your own risk, it might get you some dirty looks or even physical confrontations.

Another response that I find interesting. When asked "como estas?" or "como te sientes?" (how do you feel?) a good chunk of people won't say the usual "bien", but rather "normal" - which I guess is an honest answer. "Como te sientes" would definately be a regional thing - I've never encountered anyone of another nationality that I don't know ask me this.

When asked "como estas" Dominicans would never answer "normal", that sounds weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.