Re: Flight from NYC to DR, an experience!

V

Vincent

Re: Flight from NYC to DR, an experience!

A flight from NYC to DR is a cultural shock for anyone. Ramon sees it as discrimination against Dominicans. On the other hands, Jim and Ma see a total disaster. I like to understand the reasoning behind people?s behavior.
Just as Burmell said ?these are the most loving people that I have ever met?. The first time I visited DR I was as shock as Jim. However, once in the island and I had settle down, it was a very charming experience. For example, I was taking to the Juan, manager of the pool area in a privet club and that evening I was playing domino in his house with his friends and family.
A year later a friend of mine visited the club and the Juan sent me a Box of Cigars. I found it very touching. Once you make a friend you become part of his extended family. After visiting the DR a few times is the last 25 years, I made a few friends. Now, I tend to over pack. When I see a person loaded with luggage, I think that his person must have a lot of friends !!!

The airlines try to please everyone, but have no idea how to deal with the situation.

S

Sarah

How did I miss this thread?

Dear Robert and Delores,

I get it now! This board was designed for Americans, namely Jim Hinsch, to use in order to make fun of Dominicans!? Maybe you should design one for each specific nationality in the world, and don't forget the minority groups within the US.

There seems to be something illegal about this sort of thing. But what do I know?

Count me out, Sarah

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: How did I miss this thread?

As a new person here, you must have missed a lot of posting history. Why are you singling me out? Julio Cesar Vasquez Guzman, aka JC, has put down the Dominicans, their government, businesses, their common behavior, foreigners, and people who post on this board, more than I ever could or would. That's right, the very person who speaks out against that kind of talk and declares that only Dominicans have the right to talk about the Dominican Republic.

I make fun of everybody - Americans, Canadians, Europeans, various posts, and myself. Nobody is spared. Lighten up.

A sample of past posts by JC:

Re: drink
JC -- 928882326
You can drink at any age as long as you are careful enough not to spilled all over your pampers. I think that DR1 posted that 18 was the minimun age by law. Yeah right!

Re: Donating packages to DR?s Postal Employees
Posted By: JCesar <jc2000@webmail.bellsouth.net> (host-209-214-7-86.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: Saturday, 11 March 2000, at 8:30 p.m.
In Response To: sending a package to Puerta Plata (Fran)
It wasn't lost. It was stolen. That is my beloved Dominican Republic. "Still crazy after all these years".

Crime and Punishment
Posted By: JCesar <jc2000@webmail.bellsouth.net> (147.70.115.59)
Date: Wednesday, 22 March 2000, at 12:28 p.m.

If you know what I know, you will know that when the specter of crime start to sink its teeth in tourists and foreigners residing in a particular locale, it is because the native population has already been victimized by the very same perpetrators.

Political correctness asides...
Posted By: JCesar <jc2000@webmail.bellsouth.net> (host-209-214-3-69.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: Wednesday, 29 March 2000, at 5:36 p.m.
In Response To: Blonde to represent DR? (Malgorzata)
Does anybody has a link with good photos -close shots- of the se?oritas? (for evaluation purposes).

Re: LIAR, LIAR (Copyrighted Material)
JCesar -- 942861826
I have no intentions of arguing on behalf of Tom because between you [DR1] and him I don't know whom is the lesser of two evils.
I don't believe your pathetic joke of respecting those services.
You will do great by starting to respect the truth. Until such moment, I laugh at your self-agrandizing gesture of calling yourself a journalist. An advertising (or public relations)copy-writer would be more suitable.

Re: Haitians in DR?
JCesar -- 940647594
Let's review this idiocy of a post by Ms Susanne:
>>>Not too long ago - probably about a month - Reuters had a very interesting article on Haitians in the Dominican Republic, especially in the sugar plantations, and the hardships they endured there,>>>
Oh my, oh my, Madame Susanne. Who are you or any Reuters correspondent to decide who has legal papers or who hasn't? You should abstain of giving opinion in matters that you know nothing about.
>>>Earlier discussions here and on another board suggests that this question is highly controversial as some Dominicans seem to feel threatened by the presence of Haitians.>>>
You are a piece of work. That is for sure. The stupidity of foreigners like you meandering in the internal affairs of a nation to which you contribute nothing more than the occasional "all inclusive" trip. Get down from your ego inflated pedestal and stop telling the DR people how to run their lives.
Go there, get in line for your buffets, get a suntan and go back to your country where you have a right to put a finger in every single pie on the table.
The DR doesn't need it and doesn't want it. In fact they may arrest you and deport you for that (injerencia en asuntos internos de la naci?n)
>>>I too have heard the number between 500.000 and 700.000 Haitians mentioned. Regards, Susanne >>>
Another proof that you and your kind can't be taken seriously.

Best regards,
JCesar

Re: Shoot to kill policy
JCesar -- 936843333
This is the ultimate deterrent to crime (and save the judge, jury, prosecutor and attorney's time).

Re: Your reality check is in the mail!!
JC -- 936130980
Dear Rainbow Turtle Woman:
I am proudly responsible for the incoming deportation of almost 10 of them (with include a couple with a newborn and a single mother with 3 adolescent girls). Now, you can cry on my shoulders if that make you feel better.
Best regards,
JC
P.S. My indian name is "Sky Hunter Tiger"

Re: And it gets even uglier...
JC -- Monday, 5 October 1998, at 9:24 p.m.
According to a news update that I just got over the Net from CDN News Network (Cadena de Noticias), the field crews that work for the national electric utility (Corporaci?n Dominicana de Electricidad) are not alone on their "humanitarian" endeavors of raising money (for their own pockets).
They have company, at plenty.
The crew workers for the Water and Sewage Authorithy (Corporaci?n Dominicana de Acueductos y Alcantarillados) plus the cleaning crews deployed by the Municipal Authorities of the city of Santo Domingo(Ayuntamiento del Distrito Nacional) are also demanding cash on hand in order to render their services of restoring water supply and cleaning streets.
These are public servants serving their own greedy self-interests in spite of a national state of emergency.
...Welcome to the jungle!

That ugly other face of the news...
JC -- Monday, 5 October 1998, at 4:55 p.m.
From the DR1 daily news:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Electrical service in the DR has been much restored at a faster pace than in Puerto Rico, that was also affected by the hurricane and where there are more financial resources.>>>>>>>
Yes! In Puerto Rico, you don?t have to pay anybody under the table to get the service restored.

Public Corruption Update! (Corporaci?n Dominicana de Electricidad)
JC -- Friday, 2 October 1998, at 11:18 a.m.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>they rob and pillage all they can the time they are there, and the next guy that comes along does the same>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I remember growing up and observing shameless public corruption during the twelve years of president Balaguer (Partido Reformista). However, when the PRD finally made it to power they engaged in the same corruption as to the government that they so fiercely opposed to (some of my friends in the DR go as far as saying that even more). Nonetheless, the habit is so ingrained in the dominican society at large that it seems that regardless of who is in power the status quo will prevail.
If that is the way that dominicans want it, then so be!

Public Corruption Update! (Corporaci?n Dominicana de Electricidad)
JC -- Friday, 2 October 1998, at 1:32 a.m.
It was reported yesterday that some of the crews assigned to reestablish electrical service to residential areas in the City of Santo Domingo were demanding "cash under the table" from the residents in order to hook up the service back on.
Refusal to this "fund raising efforts" meant: stay in the dark!
The Chief of the national electric utility (Corporaci?n Dominicana de Electricidad) denied that such a rip off was going on. If something like that would take place in a developed nation, under such state of emergency, those corrupt crew workers would be spending some time in "dark" places themselves.

JC -- Tuesday, 15 September 1998, at 8:06 p.m.
I used to be a journalist for their public relations department.
I was fired [from Codetel] back in 1989.

Re: AEROPUERTO INT LAS AMERICAS
JC -- Saturday, 12 September 1998, at 9:12 p.m.
Hector: You?ve missed the first name (Jos?). The complete tittle is: Aeropuerto Internacional de las Am?ricas Dr. Jos? Francisco Pe?a G?mez. That kind of shows how much brain power the DR has on its elected officials.

For the record, the Dominican Republic is a beautiful place, not only for their beaches and natural resources, but the people, both foreign and native. I am the biggest promoter and walking advertisement for this country you will ever meet and I get, nor ask for, anything in return and really don't care if a few don't want my support. 95% of the people that read this message board already have formed their opinions about the DR, usually from a personal experience, and nothing that is posted here is going to change that. Many of us get a kick out of sharing our experiences, good and bad. One thing for sure is that we all share a love for the Dominican Republic - some through religion or missionary visits, some through family or personal relationships, some through business, others through tourism and vacation, and a whole bunch of other reasons.

S

Sue

Well I guess now, we all understand why JC doesn't live in the DR. Am I the only one who is always amazed by those who choose to live in another country but feel they are the only ones who can speak with any authority about their homeland. Good enough to defend, but not good enough to live there.

N

Natasha

I think you might be assuming too much. You don't know why JC chooses to live in the US instead of the DR. There are many reasons why someone chooses to live somewhere else other than their country. Plus, personally, I have never seen him write bashing comments about the US on this board, so.

In terms of JC's posts, well, that proves if anything, that he would be the last person here to paint the DR as a paradise. I would include myself in that category too. Those of us that are Dominicans and have lived in our country practically all of our lives (I,for one, came here as an adult), know that life in the DR has its ups and downs (with sometimes more downs). We have lived through these shortcomings. The few Dominicans that participate on this board have never tried to cover these problems.

What we (perhaps not all) have tried to do is speak up when we see people make gross generalizations about the country, but mainly about US as a people. I think you have been here long enough to know that there have been pretty insane things said about Dominicans on this board. Most of the comments are so unintelligent that it just shows how IGNORANT some people are. Most of those comments don't even deserve any answers or acknowledgement.

By the way, I live in Arlington County, VA, one of the welthiest counties in the whole US (no, I am not being boastful). EVERY single home, townhouse and apartment/condo/co-op building that we have seen boast some incredible alarm/security system for protection. Since alarm/security systems have not infiltrated the DR market totally, we still have to rely on steel bars, broken glass and people to protect our homes. Oh, and you don't know how many times I have house sat for people here in the US :)

Regards,
Natasha

O

Oberon

Re: How did I miss this thread? Drifting away JIM?

Well, well, well !

Aren't we drifting away a litlle bit here ?????

As I stated before, I think Jim has posted some good replies on all the tourist related questions but that was not the point here.
I am not going to replay all that has been said but one thing is for sure, Sarah's message was removed this morning, Jim replies and it is back again! how come ???????

I don't have anyhing against you Jim but I do think it is a bit cheap to use all of JC's replies in order to justify yourself.

As for comment on other countries or cultures,(all of you), both the US and the DR have a democraty.
One of the most important rights of a democracy is freedom of speach !!!!!

As for steel bars, glass, alarm systems etc. I personaly don't know any country in the world who doesn't have either one of them but that was not the issue, it was about friendship and trust.

Ya all have a good day :)-)

B

Bob

Re: Oberon - take it off line, PLEASE!

Oberon, who elected you thread analyzer? If you don't have something useful to add, just shut up. Its stupid comments like yours that cause responses like this that cause whole threads to get deleted.

Bob in Santo Domingo