Translation and legalisation of Birth Certificate

Guna

May 7, 2009
I am planning to apply for the DR residency and my Birth certifictae is in English. Can any one guide me where to translate and legalise the document. My lawyer is telling me that I have to legalise it in the embassy in my country. But I strongly feel that it can be done here itself.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I am planning to apply for the DR residency and my Birth certifictae is in English. Can any one guide me where to translate and legalise the document. My lawyer is telling me that I have to legalise it in the embassy in my country. But I strongly feel that it can be done here itself.
Listen to your lawyer or get a new one.;) Your lawyer knows what he/is is talking about.

Are you from the USA and currently living in the DR?

Guna

May 7, 2009
But it impossible for me to get translated in the Embassy. I am from India and now I live in DR

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Wow

I did mine last year and had to have my birth certificate legalized in my birth country, USA.

See if you can contact the Dominican Consulate in India, if they have one. Did you ask your lawyer how to get the legalazation done?

I am almost positive it can not be done in the DR.

The translation was done in the DR by my lawyer.

Guna

May 7, 2009
Thank you. But for me the problem is language. I had asked her but she is helpless. I got the information from DR1 that it can be done in DR at some offices

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thank you. But for me the problem is language. I had asked her but she is helpless. I got the information from DR1 that it can be done in DR at some offices
I won't say if the info you got is correct or not. As far as I know it must be done at the Dominican Consulate in your home country. If your home country does not have a Dominican Consulate it must be done at the Dominican Consulate closest to your home country.

I take it your lawyer does not speank English? If you have not signed a contract with her why not get an English speaking lawyer to make the process a lot easier.

Did you search to see if your home country has a Dominican Consulate?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That is good news.

Call the embassy and hopefully someone will speak English or your native language. The reason I say that is it is a Dominican Consulate and probably most employees will speak Spanish.

If things work like the Consulate in New York City I mailed my original (not a copy) of my birth certificate to the Consulate with a money order for the fee charged. In less than two weeks I received my legalized birth certificate in the mail.

I am not sure how you can go about that in the DR with the mail system they have in place. I am just guessing but maybe you can rent a mailbox.

Trust your lawyer or seriously get another one. The legalization can not be done in the DR, to the best of my knowledge.

I did a search of a Dominican consulate in India and this is the embassy information that came up:

Embassy of the Dominican Republic in India

4, Munirka Marg,
Vasant Vihar,
New Delhi - 110057
Telephone : 91.11.4601.5000
Fax : 91.11.4601.5004

For feedback and questions:
info@dr-embassy-india.com

Here's the website I found this on:

Embassy of Dominican Republic in India

good luck! :)