Concierto Musica Por Los Haitises - Santo Domingo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Musica Por Los Haitises and we are there. Follow us as we take you for a ride during the "cause du jour" event of the year. The concert "Musica por Los Haitises," held at Plaza Espana on July 19, 2009.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7VryJ6Pb2-U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7VryJ6Pb2-U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this is what I was talking about in the other thread...Nail and snails and puppy dog tails.

I do have one caveat: Who paid for this?
I have heard (there is plenty of back stabbing going on here) that the other cement factories are fighting the new one tooth and nail.

Now I know several of the people up on that stage, like Victor Victor, and I know that they are alswys willing to give their time and talent to good causes. But who paid for that stage and the power plant???

Sorry, I see too many edges...

HB

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

this is what I was talking about in the other thread...Nail and snails and puppy dog tails.

I do have one caveat: Who paid for this?
I have heard (there is plenty of back stabbing going on here) that the other cement factories are fighting the new one tooth and nail.

Now I know several of the people up on that stage, like Victor Victor, and I know that they are alswys willing to give their time and talent to good causes. But who paid for that stage and the power plant???

Sorry, I see too many edges...

HB

Here are the details I got from program organizers. The montaje cost RD$1 million, but they only collected about RD$300,000 from t-shirt sales, which wasn't enough. So they needed private investment, which amounted to a person giving the stage, a company giving the lights and another one giving the sound equipment. The revenue from the t-shirt sales paid for the "mano de obra" and security and Pat'e Palo gave their staff for the night. There was also some other donations and stuff. I was told many of the lawyers are working pro bono and this concert was organized in one months time, more or less. No artist was paid for their participation.

This was the information I was given. Hopefully, it is useful.....

Mr. Lu

domilinguist

Feb 22, 2008
This is exactly the kind of criticism the organisers were trying to avoid, hence the reason for there being no official sponsor of the event. They managed to raise over 300,000 pesos selling merchandise for the event, and many big production companies lent their equipment and time for free, as well as the musicians and TV and radio presenters.

They also held a press conference before the conference to make everything as transparent as possible and to explain how they would pay for everything. This fact received very little media coverage.

Why is it that whenever people want to do something positive and spread a good message here in the country there are always people out to criticise or condemn? What these young people achieved on Sunday was incredible: they mobilised themselves to protest publicly about a cause they feel is unjust. The fact that it was a group of young, educated Dominicans who decided to actively protest is even more poignant and exciting. As Marel Alemany stated, this is something that would have been inconceivable even thirty years ago in the Dominican Republic and is pretty darn impressive.

People should be more concerned about why most of the major newspapers, such as Hoy and El Caribe chose to not even mention the occasion. But, hey, it's no big secret who owns these publications and the personal interests they have vested in other private projects.

Mr. Lu, if you want any more information, please PM me and I will be happy to answer any of your concerns regarding the organising of the concert.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I wonder what the other cement factory owners feel about the Estrella Group and their plans...there is a lot of money involved in this project and that's probably all it took to get Leonel's support of this factory. Talk about living in a dream world. The SOB probably doesn't even know the color of his shoes for the day.

Chino Sing is a talented guy, heard him on "New York Sessions" as the guest vocalist for the group El Pueblo...

What I was told by a friend that works in the DR TV world is that different companies showed their support by providing items like the stage and lighting and staff free of charge or for a very low price. As Mr. Lu stated, the t-shirts and sales of items related to the concert paid for the labor. Hopefully this is the first of many different initiatives by the youth to reclaim their country.