first trip to dom r arriving wed 29th july really worried bout rain heeeeeeeelp

sarahward1970

Jul 23, 2009
hi everyone im new and am coming with my family to dominian republic next week on july 29th for 2 weeks but im starting to get a little worried i have looked at weather forecast and it just seems to say rain or thunder storms every day and im really worried we are coming from london so was really hoping to avoid the rain as its quite frequent here anyone can help would really appreciate it i did read that the rain is short but dont know if thats accurate heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp please

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no it will not rain

hi everyone im new and am coming with my family to dominian republic next week on july 29th for 2 weeks but im starting to get a little worried i have looked at weather forecast and it just seems to say rain or thunder storms every day and im really worried we are coming from london so was really hoping to avoid the rain as its quite frequent here anyone can help would really appreciate it i did read that the rain is short but dont know if thats accurate heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp please

you have booked a trip to the tropics during the hurricane season

HOWEVER

Since you are British and we know that you do not get very much sunshine
we are all going to try very very very hard

to arrange

as much as it is within our power

to keep any

really really really

terrible hurricanes
from hitting the island

while you are here

There, now, does that help?

And really, think about it.

You are only going to be able to stand about an hour of this sun a day for the first four days and the rest is going to have to be UNDER something anyway

SO

BRING BOOKS

AND remember
for the next trip

We have absolutely perfectly smashing
dry weather

from November til MAY

every year

then usually from June til November

it is

how you say
the
rainy season
see, there it is. page 4, in the Cook's guide.

that is why the rates are low and the rooms are cheap.

But unless there is thunder and lightening it still ok to be in the pool, you are wet already, right?

And, the rum is still free.

and the palms are great in a storm

you will have a wonderful time

relax;)

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And the rain here is nice rain.
It is not cold, miserable gray rain - it is bright, luscious, tropically refreshing rain.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Perfect Weather

And the rain here is nice rain.
it is bright, luscious, tropically refreshing rain.
... which lets humidity shoot up to 90%.
Yes, perfect climate - paradise no doubt.
But no problem, just switch on the A/C.... si hay luz.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
If it did not rain during your stay you would go home and complain about the heat and dust, The local rains freshen everything and everybody.

Enjoy your stay !!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While friend "Mountainannie" has said it very well, let me say that perhaps the most important item in your bags should be a very good, 30+ SPF cream (several, in fact)

Your typical lily-white English skin will fry here, even on slightly overcast days. In order not to ruin the holiday, you really need to respect the sun. Lots of cream, 15-20 minutes the first day (outside in the open), with increments of 3-5 minutes a day...You cannot stay more than that without getting a burn that will make you wish for the London drizzle....

Please be cautious...

Do not worry, IF there is a hurricane, the parties are awesome...

have fun

Don't worry about things you cannot change.

You will have a ball!!

HB

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Right...we will help u by wishing it will not rain! :D

Not to be sarcastic, because clearly that is not what you came here to listen to...but you know no one can control that...

It may be rainy the whole time you are here...there may be a hurricane...there may be sun the whole time...there may be a few days with rain and most without...there may be half and half....no one can really say...

But ultimately it will be warmer than the UK..even the locals who have only lived in the DR their whole lives are complaining of the heat this summer.....

It's all what you make of it...Have fun and enjoy...so what it rains but is 35 degress..doesn't mean u have to jump out of the pool or ocean......just enjoy yourself "come what may"....

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Don't worry about the weather forcasters as am sure your holiday in 'paradise' will be great......... sometimes a little 'warm and friendly rain' here is a welcome relief from the heat and humidity. We are ex-Brits living here for over 3 years now and love it to pieces. Where are you staying - North or South?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha
bad boys/gals.
scaring a new member away by telling the truth about those weathersite forecasts.
take the short version:
like at home in good ole england,
nobody can predict the weather for more than the next 2 days,
and even that fails sooo often very hard to be accurate, everywhere.

Annie,
love your post,
but your 'seasons category' needs a lil makeover.
from november til january we are at least here on the east coast, anything but DRY, it is the real wet season, specially around x-mas time, much more shower days than during the so called hurricane season, which provides showers only when a system is really nearby, then a lot at a time, but most days pure hot humid sunblock 80 sunshine weather.
mid april til around end july is the dryest and for a caribbean sunshine beach vaca perfect time of the year, at least over here on the east.

hey England,
welcome to paradise,
you will love your stay on our lovely Isle
Mike

sarahward1970

Jul 23, 2009
rain

ok thanks i wasnt asking anyone on here to change the weather for me or have a word with god as some of you have said i was just asking for a little advice as to weather your rain lasts for days or if you are prone to the odd shower here and there i have saved all year round for this holiday for myself and my family i have multiple sclerosis and my holidays a big deal and i just expected to speak to some friendly people that could help put my mind at rest instead i just seem to have the p**s taken out of me judging by the replies i got so i wont be asking for anymore advice thanks for your time kind regards

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sarah Ward: One of the most fascinating experiences in life is a hurricane. However, they are not sudden happenings. They come, nowadays, with lots of forewarning. And we prepare, of course.
Regarding rains, generally speaking what we have are cloud bursts. Showers that pour down, then the sun comes out.

I can guarantee you that you will have so much sun that you will become "native" and seek every drop of shade you can find...You will see women walking the streets with umbrellas on perfectly sunny days!!

And, if a storm should come, you are welcome at the HB Hovel...We are always safe and sound...

Stop worrying and enjoy this vacation!!

HB

sarahward1970

Jul 23, 2009
rain

hi there thanks for reply we are staying bavaro/punta cana so the east of the island i cant wait just really worried bout this rain
Don't worry about the weather forcasters as am sure your holiday in 'paradise' will be great......... sometimes a little 'warm and friendly rain' here is a welcome relief from the heat and humidity. We are ex-Brits living here for over 3 years now and love it to pieces. Where are you staying - North or South?

sarahward1970

Jul 23, 2009
rain

Sarah Ward: One of the most fascinating experiences in life is a hurricane. However, they are not sudden happenings. They come, nowadays, with lots of forewarning. And we prepare, of course.
Regarding rains, generally speaking what we have are cloud bursts. Showers that pour down, then the sun comes out.

I can guarantee you that you will have so much sun that you will become "native" and seek every drop of shade you can find...You will see women walking the streets with umbrellas on perfectly sunny days!!

And, if a storm should come, you are welcome at the HB Hovel...We are always safe and sound...

Stop worrying and enjoy this vacation!!

HB
thanks hillbilly might take you up on that x

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am sorry that I was sarcastic with you.

(in NYC where I come from it passes for humor)

But you have to admit that you did leave yourself a bit open for it....

and if you have read a bit on the Boards you will see that we have been having black outs and a heat wave (and my new fridge is broken not that it concerns you but it is a mitigating circumstance, your Honor)

You will have AC at the Resort which will make it very comfortable for you so that it will not be humid indoors.

All the resorts have their own generators and are perfectly prepared for hurricanes and big storms. It is a great comfort to me that I live next to two big hotels so I always figure I can just check into one if there is a big storm (or maybe tomorrow!)

It does not usually rain all day and cloudy days will be welcome.

All the resorts have great activities for the kids so they will be able to play under watchful eyes and you and your husband will have a good vacation and rest.

forgive me for being flip at your expense

don't hold it against the DR, since the people here are actually much sweeter than I am

I am here to learn sweetness and patience from them
(I am having to repeat the first year for the fifth time!)

and yes,
enjoy.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Hi Sarahward. It's friday 24th at 4.05 pm Here's a weather report! I'm sitting in my office and through the window I can see blue skies, no clouds and palm trees swaying in the breeze. Bavaro is a fantastic choice for your first visit. I am a brit but now live in the DR. My first experience of the island was to Bavaro and that's where I fell in love with the island. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!!!!

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
i just expected to speak to some friendly people that could help put my mind at rest instead i just seem to have the p**s taken out of me judging by the replies i got so i wont be asking for anymore advice thanks for your time kind regards

If you think THAT is having "the p**s taken out of you"....be thankful you didn't post on here asking about some guy you met in the Dominican Republic. Then you would truly know what it feels like to have "the p**s taken out of you" on DR1. lol :cheeky:

Do not take offense to anyone's replies...it was all in good humor I think. And you did get some useful replies as well I'm sure!

I hope you have a great trip & nice weather! Either way it will be better weather than in the UK ;)

hi there thanks for reply we are staying bavaro/punta cana so the east of the island i cant wait just really worried bout this rain

Relax, when you look at the weather reports on a daily basis,almost always have showers in them. It may rain for 30 minutes then have sunshine all day or more often than not it will rain in the night and the sun will be out all day. Believe me your vacation will be fine and stop worrying about the rain and buy some sun protection.