Minor DIY help please..!

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Morning all,

Spent the last few hours keeping the wife happy by painting some rooms and bit of DIY, however I've run aground..

Changing the faceplates of the light switches and sockets....

The wires are shocking pink, cream and green. I know green is earth, but the other two?

Is this a different standard in the DR? Need to know before Wife returns to see the mess!!

Thanks all

Steve

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
shockingpink... is this an electrician joke, sparky:) the switch wiring should be your clue. if the pink wires are hooked to the switch poles and the cream are connected to each other then the pink are the live(hot) wires and the cream are the neutrals(return)wires. if other way around it is the opposite case. this will allow you to connect the outlets. be sure the power is off beforehand. hope the wife is impressed... ben

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
shockingpink... is this an electrician joke, sparky:) the switch wiring should be your clue. if the pink wires are hooked to the switch poles and the cream are connected to each other then the pink are the live(hot) wires and the cream are the neutrals(return)wires. if other way around it is the opposite case. this will allow you to connect the outlets. be sure the power is off beforehand. hope the wife is impressed... ben

This isn't guaranteed. A switch can be wired wrong (inline with the neutral) and the light will still function normally.

If you don't have a meter, then remove the cover of your main panel and see what colour is going to the breakers. That's your hot.

Pink is most likely hot, but you never know in some of these wiring jobs.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
No switch poles, and forgot to say, the light switch colors are normal so done those.

Its the plugs, I got 2 wires coming out into the old socket. There's no markers on the old socket to say live or neutral, but earth is marked!

Its a guessing game.....

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Do not trust the color of any wiring in the Dominican Republic. The wiring can change color from the breaker box to the switch if the electrician runs out of wire in the middle of the job. And I have seen jobs with only one color! Don't know how they figure that out.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
After a few phone calls Its done now. Shocking pink was live, cream was neutral.

Will post again if there's any explosions.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
For next time:

Just replace wire for wire.

Normally (D.R. wiring is never normal), one side of the socket has a wider slot.
This is supposed to be neutral (ground).

But when wiring wire for wire just keep the same socket connections the same, old wire from wide slot to wide slot on new outlet.

SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I sense an advanced clown bin thread in the making

You mean like suggesting that they touch each wire with their wet tongue,
..... to determine which wire is "HOT" ?

(Caution do not try this at home - we are a trained electrocutionist)

SantiagoDR