Cost of Publico/Guagua Sosua to Cabarete centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hi All,

I have used the search function, and Google, to try and find the cost for three "gringos" to flag down a Guagua or Publico and travel from the bottom of the road leading from Casa Manana to Cabarete centre but to no avail.

Would any of the wise owls be able to give me an idea; as I'll need to put your advice into practice when we take our niece for her first holiday to paradise in September.

Untill the forthcoming holiday we have used taxis (for long journeys i.e. to/from the airport), conchos (for to and from town for shopping and short journeys) and a couple of times rented a couple of passolas for sightseeing. This time we would like to use the local transport; but I don't want to look like a complete idiot & not know what I'm doing.

Thanks to all in advance for, what I'm sure, will be knowledgeable and helpful responses.

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
It's very inexpensive and save. I do it all the time. You just basically stop on the main road and they would stop. The price is between 20 to 35 pesos from one city to the next...I don't remember the the exact amount. Usually they have a sign on top with the name of the cities. They also stop by the airport..

Good luck

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Definitely no more than 50 pesos per person (Dominicans pay 25 to 30) Don't show large notes; have a lot of coins as the smaller notes have been replaced by 25 peso coins now. Act as though you do it all the time and ignore any request for more money with a wave of the hand.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A caro publico is RD30 per person, so pay RD30 per person, not RD50!
If you want the front seat solo, it costs double, if you want the entire car, it's RD180. You'll need to walk to the bomba to hire an empty one.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Take Tambo's advice:

What Tambo said is probably the best way, just hire one of the publico at the price he quoted. The Guagua, get crowded and somewhat uncomfortable if you are not used to them, squeezed in like sardines, and from Sosua it will cost 30rd per person. Look for the heading on the Guagua that says Rio San Juan. If you go to the main road, they w:ill pass every so often, just flag them down and they will stop. I wouldn't recommend going during the rush hours, I would say your best bet for that trip would be late morning around 10:45 till around 11:30, those normally don't get totally filled.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Thanks to all for the replies; very informative as always.

A caro publico is RD30 per person, so pay RD30 per person, not RD50!
If you want the front seat solo, it costs double, if you want the entire car, it's RD180. You'll need to walk to the bomba to hire an empty one.

Without trying to appear thick Tambo', where would I find the bomba in Sosua & Cabarete? (and, more importantly, what is it?)

Once again, thanks in advance

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
No problem!

Just go to the Texaco, You want to be on the opposite side of the highway to catch the Cabarete bound publico, you'll see 5 empty cars waiting to take you and your family. Please report back your experiences.

tambo'

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
To return, be on the ocean side of the street and watch for a publico to come by and hold up your fingers for how many seats you need and if there is space, they will stop for you.

They leave you off at the Texaco station in Sosua or anywhere along the way you want to go.

Also, have exact change - much easier and less chance of being taken.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
It's very inexpensive and save. I do it all the time. You just basically stop on the main road and they would stop. The price is between 20 to 35 pesos from one city to the next...I don't remember the the exact amount. Usually they have a sign on top with the name of the cities. They also stop by the airport..

Good luck

When you get on the Guagua, don't pay right away. Watch what the Dominicans are paying (usually 15 pesos from Cabarete to Sosua)) and then pay the same amount. If you give them a 25 peso coin, keep your hand out and you will eventually get change.

On the other hand, for 25 pesos it is a cheap (and sometimes very exciting, thrilling and some may even say scary) ride.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Update

We finally managed to use the knowledge gained on this thread during our latest holiday 3 weeks ago. The tips everybody gave were absolutely spot-on and we managed to get a guagua from the bottom of the Tradewinds road to the Iberostar Costa Dorada for only 30 pesos each way (per person obviously).
The "assistant" seemed a bit put out on the outward journey when we got off & I only handed him 30 pesos for each of us but, as suggested, I shrugged my shoulders and kept on walking.
The normal taxi fare would have been at least US$25 each way so good result and many thanks for the advice.
Next holiday we're off to Cabarete on the Guagua!
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We finally managed to use the knowledge gained on this thread during our latest holiday 3 weeks ago. The tips everybody gave were absolutely spot-on and we managed to get a guagua from the bottom of the Tradewinds road to the Iberostar Costa Dorada for only 30 pesos each way (per person obviously).
The "assistant" seemed a bit put out on the outward journey when we got off & I only handed him 30 pesos for each of us but, as suggested, I shrugged my shoulders and kept on walking.
The normal taxi fare would have been at least US$25 each way so good result and many thanks for the advice.
Next holiday we're off to Cabarete on the Guagua!
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

You paid more than you needed to for a guagua. RD$15, RD$20 max, per person would have been sufficient.

Publico price during the day is now, as I recall, RD$25 during the day. RD$5 more after 6 pm. Guagua prices are less.

If the cobrador acted put out, it is because he expected a bigger windfall, and maybe trying to "shame" you into increasing the amount.

calverde

Dec 22, 2009
sosua to cabarete:

gua gua FIFTEEN PESOS PER PERSON

carrito (publico) TWENTY PESOS PER PERSON
TWENTY FIVE at night.

ditto for cabarete to sosua

pay whenever they ask, if no ask, pay at end.

nobody ever says 'i want a front seat by myself' so don't go there

calverde

Dec 22, 2009
oh, and good luck 'watching what the dominicans pay' because you won't be able to see, trust me. nor can you figure it out if you try. and don't speak english and act like a tourist cuz it is my pet peeve.
gracias/adios/hola/de nada - spanish class over, now go try.

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
When I am in a carrito, I sometimes ask for the front seat to myself and I have heard and seen others do it. You pay double but sometimes it's just worth it!

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
The cost could go up considerably when you find yourself minus your wallet upon your arrival.
But, well there is always the memory of this beautiful young and sexy girl who snuggled up to you during the trip.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

nobody ever says 'i want a front seat by myself' so don't go there

The front seat of a guagua seats 3 plus the driver so if you ask for it for yourself, be prepared to pay triple.

The publico front seat is for 2 plus the driver. When I go to Puerto Plata, I take the front seat and pay double. Gladly. If front seat not available, I pay double in the back, where the normal load is 4.

When I arrived in the DR in 1986, most Dominicans were slender. This is no longer the case. Some of the women who have ridden the publicos when I did should have been charged double or triple. My comfort is worth more than what I pay to keep from being squashed and having one or both of my legs go to sleep.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
When I first came here and didn't own a car and wanted to get to Playa Dorada for golf, I would also buy 2 in the front from Sosua. The driver would always tell me to put my golf bag in the trunk, no way. I would tell him it's my amigo and it rides with me all the way! The looks I got from the Dominican's was just PRICELESS:classic:

Status
Not open for further replies.