cuarto - cualto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Those who have a chance to talk with Dominicans probable have noticed their penchant for using "cuarto" instead of "dinero" when talking about money. The funny thing is the actual term should be "cualto" as this is what the money/coins were called in the early history of the DR; this I learned from a recent trip to the museum here in Santiago located at the old San Luis fort. I highly recommend a visit, it's not big but it's free, conveniently located and has some neat and interesting things.

?

? bient?t

What El Chip-Oh! didn't tell you is that he actually says cuaito.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Those who have a chance to talk with Dominicans probable have noticed their penchant for using "cuarto" instead of "dinero" when talking about money. The funny thing is the actual term should be "cualto" as this is what the money/coins were called in the early history of the DR; this I learned from a recent trip to the museum here in Santiago located at the old San Luis fort. I highly recommend a visit, it's not big but it's free, conveniently located and has some neat and interesting things.
Sure that you understood???? Or maybe the person in the museum is not right at this point. I never heard that before? but in the past there it was a currency called ?Cuartilla? = quarter part of one RD peso = 25 cents. And the ?Mota? = one cent.

JJ

?

? bient?t

From NALs's favorite cut-and-paste source:

"Only one denomination of coin was issued by the Dominican Republic before decimalization. This was the ? real, issued in 1844 in bronze and in both 1844 and 1848 in brass. Decimalization in 1877 brought about the introduction of three new coins, the 1, 2? and 5 centavos. 1? centavo coins were also issued between 1882 and 1888. After the franco was abandoned, silver coins were introduced in 1897 in denominations of 10 and 20 centavos, ? and 1 peso. The designs of these coins were very similar to those of the franco."

That means bachata is correct: un cuarto real. Someone at the mint messed up the 'spellinization' of cuartos.

En deuda y en gran cantidad: "Oye, d?nde 'tan mi cualto?"

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Donde estan mis cualtos , should be the incorrect way as people from Santo Domingo ?Los capitalenos? pronounce this word, but us los Cibaenos says ; Donde estan mis cuaitos.
And a politician guy no matter what part of the contry he come from say; Aqui estan mis cuartos.

JJ

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Imagine if someone in the DR actually had a coin made and mispelled the word to read 'cualto" instead of 'cuarto'.............wow......I mean not impossible though.

I found this definition of cuarto in the REA. dictionary.
12. m. Moneda de cobre espa?ola cuyo valor era el de cuatro maraved?s de vell?n.

I also remember my mom joking around about 'maravedis' which was always pronouced or still is 'maraveli' accent on the i...............No me dio ni un maraveli........which seemed to mean.........didn't give me a dime.

?

? bient?t

You guys are going to make me go down to the damn museum and take a photo of this coin aren't you?

BTW, I'm well aware of the capitale?os use of the L even though my Spanish is anything but pretty, thank you though.

Pero ven ac?, mi'jo, e' que tu no lee na'? No one has doubted your words. The coin may say 'cualto,' but can you use your imagination? An error in coin-stamping, perhaps? Maybe the info given to the mint was wrong, a lo mejor?

You can read about errors in currency and stamps. It's all out there. But I'm outta here.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Pero ven ac?, mi'jo, e' que tu no lee na'? No one has doubted your words. The coin may say 'cualto,' but can you use your imagination? An error in coin-stamping, perhaps? Maybe the info given to the mint was wrong, a lo mejor?

You can read about errors in currency and stamps. It's all out there. But I'm outta here.

Ok no problem then.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Ok no problem then.

I Think the ENGLISH (& Dominican translation into English) to that ? bient?t is

"Thank you ? bient?t. M.A.R. & bachata for your explanations. Being an engineer I do not immediately see the obvious &/or the possibilities that others can make mistakes too!!" :cheeky: :chinese: :ermm: ~ Grahame.

rosa25

Dec 19, 2008
The people in santo domingo use the word cualto, in the cibao use cuaito and in other cities cuarto

Status
Not open for further replies.