Kept Informed

Feb 15, 2005
Since there are so few of us in this southwest forum, it's important for us that spend alot of time outside of the area to be kept informed as to anything that is newsworthy. Since there are so few digital news outlets for the region, you who live there are the best sources for us.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is so true....It has been years since I was past ?zua...now I will be going to San Juan de la Maguana for the Caonabo Games next week...

HB

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Since there are so few of us in this southwest forum, it's important for us that spend alot of time outside of the area to be kept informed as to anything that is newsworthy. Since there are so few digital news outlets for the region, you who live there are the best sources for us.

I recommend the following blogs:

El Barahonero

Cuatriboliao.Net

Whoever has any other suggestions feel free to post.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Good idea

This section has by far the fewest number of threads/posts except for 1 or two others compared to all others on dr1. I think that has more to do with there being so few dr1 members living down here or from here, and obviously there is far less tourism activity compared to other regions. But I don't think that means that there really isn't anything noteworthy or interesting going on down here, just no one to bring it up when it does.

That's why I started the thread to mention the Festival de Palos, and the one about info for Barahona city. Since I am located down here, if anything comes to my attention I will post it. The Southwest shouldn't just be about contemplating or discussing when and how tourism and development will come. We have to work what we got!

As far as the media outlets around here...:disappoin: They are low quality and paid off by politicians and the Consorcio Azucarero Central to publish fluff and keep things out that aren't in their best interest. Even more so than others, it seems.

Feb 15, 2005
This section has by far the fewest number of threads/posts except for 1 or two others compared to all others on dr1. I think that has more to do with there being so few dr1 members living down here or from here, and obviously there is far less tourism activity compared to other regions. But I don't think that means that there really isn't anything noteworthy or interesting going on down here, just no one to bring it up when it does.

That's why I started the thread to mention the Festival de Palos, and the one about info for Barahona city. Since I am located down here, if anything comes to my attention I will post it. The Southwest shouldn't just be about contemplating or discussing when and how tourism and development will come. We have to work what we got!

As far as the media outlets around here...:disappoin: They are low quality and paid off by politicians and the Consorcio Azucarero Central to publish fluff and keep things out that aren't in their best interest. Even more so than others, it seems.

That is excellent insight Minerva. The media outlets are very poor quality and hence very uninformative and lacking readership.

But there are quite a few DR1 members that have interests in Barahona specifically real estate interests. But anything big or small would be a great start.

You have been very active and you "The Best Of Barahona" was excellent and personally enjoyable to read. I've been there since 2003 and still don't know the "best of the best". But now I have a better idea.

Does anyone frequent the corner bar across from Los Robles?

Feb 15, 2005
Do you know that there is new construction on the hill just above San Rafael. This view is spectacular and previously had a wooden house there for rent and now the owners are constructing. I saw cement blocks going up a couple of months ago.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Does anyone frequent the corner bar across from Los Robles?
I don't go there but it looks nice and there are people there on the weekends. The place around the corner, El Ejecutivo, had a Michael Jackson tribute the other night!

About a month ago, I finally went hiking a little ways up past that swimming area above San Rafael. I had heard that there were waterfalls up there, but it was GORGEOUS! Totally worth checking out if you have even an hour to stop there. I can't wait to go back to hike further up. At that time there was construction going on and dump trucks bringing loads up, but I'm not exactly sure what's going on. If it is a private house for rent, that's great because it's beautiful and would be a good place to have as a base for exploring the coast.

I would put up fotos, but I don't want to foto-out the posts...

SUGGESTION TO DR1: make a section or have an application that works like a community foto album, where everyone can contribute, take credit for their fotos and also tag them geographically to some kind of map.