Pictures of Barahona, Pedernales

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
To those who doubt of the beauty of the Southwest, here are some pictures for you:

Bahoruco beach (Barahona):

Bahoruco003.jpg

bahorucobeach.jpg

this is behind my house in Bahoruco (still in construction):

myhouseinBahoruco.jpg

Bahia de las Aguilas:

arriving at BDLA... watch out for the migra!!!
(i'm the one with the blond hair):

Bahiadelasaguilas003.jpg

such tranquil beauty (BDLA):

Bahiadelasaguilas004.jpg

@ Cabo Rojo, Pedernales:

CaboRojo002.jpg

CaboRojo003.jpg

Los Patos:

LosPatos2.jpg

LosPatos.jpg

Water hole along the highway (Pedernales-Oviedo highway):

waterhole.jpg

waterhole3.jpg

for more pictures visit this link:

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh75/malva70997/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited:

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
Wow beautiful photos Marilyn Thanks for sharing !! I have to make a point this winter while I am in the DR to visit the south west coast for a day or two of my three week holiday. :)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Great pics Marilyn, thanks.

We recently did a road trip of this area and I have to say that for me, the SW is the most spectacular part of the country and I cant wait to go back.

Too bad we missed that water hole on the Oviedo-Pedernales highway...I am trying to cast my mind back a few weeks, albei without success.

Seeing your pics made me long to be there again.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Great pics Marilyn, thanks...Too bad we missed that water hole on the Oviedo-Pedernales highway...I am trying to cast my mind back a few weeks, albei without success.

There are three water holes on this spot, but only one is safe, one is too deep (more than a 15ft drop and I saw young guys diving from this one so i know is very deep) and the other too shallow. You can't miss them, they right on the side of the main highway about 3-5 kms on the highway Pedernales-Oviedo. There's a small sign that says "Pozos de Romeo", just jump the fence on the side of the road, walk a few steps and dive in.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There are three water holes on this spot, but only one is safe, one is too deep (more than a 15ft drop and I saw young guys diving from this one so i know is very deep) and the other too shallow. You can't miss them, they right on the side of the main highway about 3-5 kms on the highway Pedernales-Oviedo. There's a small sign that says "Pozos de Romeo", just jump the fence on the side of the road, walk a few steps and dive in.

Thanks, hope to get back there soon and will be sure to look out for them.

Feb 15, 2005
There is a little entrance where you can drive you vehicle into and park. My recommendation is to go early in day because at dusk alot of mosquitoes come out. This is an excellent stop before going to Pedernales/Bahia. If you head back early this is a great place to wash off the sand, again it should be early in the afternoon.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have been down that way a couple of times, long ago...It seems that it might be interesting for the pair of us to try it again...

Your photos are very encouraging...Thanks

HB

Feb 15, 2005
I really recommend going to Los Pozos, then Bahia and staying the night at Hotel D'Oleo Mendez. That is a nice, inexpensive trip and you can head back in the morning without rushing.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I really recommend going to Los Pozos, then Bahia and staying the night at Hotel D'Oleo Mendez. That is a nice, inexpensive trip and you can head back in the morning without rushing.

I agree with you, D'oleo Mendez also has an excellent kitchen and a tree-shaded patio which doubles are eating area. It's one of my favorite places to eat, but I think he's selling it or sold it already.

Feb 15, 2005
I agree with you, D'oleo Mendez also has an excellent kitchen and a tree-shaded patio which doubles are eating area. It's one of my favorite places to eat, but I think he's selling it or sold it already.

The wife told me that she just couldn't get enough help. Can you believe it?

anyway it's recommended here.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Hey Marilyn...
Beautiful pics. I missed the watering holes as well. Will be sure to check them out on the next trip.