HELP! Hybrid Cars in DR??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As I've mentioned before, we plan to retire to the DR in a couple of years. My husband is thinking of buying a hybrid car, maybe the new Nissan Altima Hybrid, with the thought that it will be the car we bring there when we move.

He's worried that they may not have the mechanical training and technology there on those cars - does anyone know if they even sell Hybrids there and

1. what hybrid car brands are sold there?
2. how popular are they?
3. is it something you'd think could be a problem if we had mechanical trouble?
4. should we forget about a hybrid?

He wants to buy it now because he thinks you have to own the car for a certain amount of time before you can bring it there as part of a returning citizen possession lot. We'll think be shipping a container, with the car inside. He's a Dominican/US citizen, and I plan to get my cedula/residency next trip down there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have seen two Prius here is Santiago....

Seems that diesel is the preferred choice at this time...I love that VW ad about the CC(?) version that gets 50+ miles to a gallon...Vroom...

HB

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I drive a Honda Civic-Hybrid 2007 right here in Santiago.....
I shipped it from New York.....
So far, I am happy due to the low comsuption of gas. I have not found out about hybrid mechanics yet...mine is only 10, 500 miles ...
but I think that Honda must have trained someone with the new technology here....
I do not want to sound irresponsible, but I had to bring my car and I had no other choice.....
please feel free to send me a pm.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
As I've mentioned before, we plan to retire to the DR in a couple of years. My husband is thinking of buying a hybrid car, maybe the new Nissan Altima Hybrid, with the thought that it will be the car we bring there when we move.

He's worried that they may not have the mechanical training and technology there on those cars - does anyone know if they even sell Hybrids there and

1. what hybrid car brands are sold there?
2. how popular are they?
3. is it something you'd think could be a problem if we had mechanical trouble?
4. should we forget about a hybrid?

He wants to buy it now because he thinks you have to own the car for a certain amount of time before you can bring it there as part of a returning citizen possession lot. We'll think be shipping a container, with the car inside. He's a Dominican/US citizen, and I plan to get my cedula/residency next trip down there.

you will see natural gas cars here in the near future...saw a couple with adds on the doors...in SD
bob

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The last time I was in Delta Commercial, they had one on display. I asked how much it was, and they said they weren't for sale yet.

According to the person I spoke with, they were still in the process of training their mechanics to be able work on them.

But, as with all major vehicle importers here, don't expect to get warranty work done on your vehicle if you didn't buy it from them. They'll work on it, but you'll pay for the work.

Thanks for the info JD. I'm not familiar with Delta Commerical - what brand of car was it?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
But, as with all major vehicle importers here, don't expect to get warranty work done on your vehicle if you didn't buy it from them. They'll work on it, but you'll pay for the work.

Is that true for all auto makers? I thought it was the manufacturer and not the dealer who paid for the work done under warranty. What's the rationale?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I think it would be good to call Delta Comercial or Agencia Bella and ask them if their service center support Hybrid models, sure it will be more expensive that way, but until street mechanics catch up to the hybrid technology I believe is the only option right now.