Best place to stay on the north coast??? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinksands

Jul 30, 2009
Hi everyone, my friend and I are planning a trip to Puerto Plata 10/3 to 10/10. I've been to Punta Cana twice but this time have decided to visit the north side because my friend and I want to give kitesurfing a try. Where is the place best to stay that has the best beach and beautiful blue water? I realize it won't look the same as punta cana but I imagine some areas are better than others. We are looking at Iberosta Costa Dorada but I was wondering if the beaches and water is better toward Cabarete. Also if we stayed at Iberostar how far is it to get to Cabarete for kitesurfing lessons? We are looking for an all inclusive. We are also looking a Viva Wyndam Tangerine but it looks a lot smaller and some of the reviews I read have been bad. Any suggestions for resorts and also kitesurfing lessons?

Jan 17, 2009
At ICD you'll be about 45 minutes away from Cabarete. I cannot comment on the beach at ICD. In Cabarete, you can find a nice color ocean pretty much all the time, except for when it has rained a lot or like now, the summer season, the water seems to be a bit darker. You will definitely not find the white sands of Punta Cana. It's nice and clean but beige.

The Viva Tangerine is the only AI currently open close to downtown Cabarete. There'll be one more opening in December. Another AI is Celuisima Paraiso Tropical in Camino del Sol (in the outskirts of Cabarete) and Ocean Manor (closer to downtown Cabarete maybe 1.5 km or so).

There are many Kitesurfing schools in Cabarete. Check Mistral, Vela, and Laurel Eastman's.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If kitesurfing is what you want to do, then you should definately look for a place in Cabarete.

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
If you are looking for clear blue carribean like water then Sosua is the place to go. It is a large sheltered bay and has the nicest water by far. There are a few nice AI resorts to choose from and it is only a ten minute drive to the kite schools in Cabarete.

Jan 17, 2009
Unless you're willing to take the guagua, do yourself a favor an stay close to kitebeach or Bozo beach (in Cabarete) if your plans are kitesurfing. Otherwise, you'll spend a ton in transportation. JMUO

Status
Not open for further replies.