dr1guide Santo Domingo!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's here and it's HUGE!

dr1guide.com is the website that accompanies our new printed guide.

Events - Articles - Maps - Nightlife - Dining - The Sights - Directory - Photos - Competitions

dr1guide.com

If you're coming to Santo Domingo, this is an Must Have Tool

We are still tweaking, but please check it out and gives us your feedback.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
dr1guide.jpg

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Good stuff you have there guys, spot on the Ave. Venezuela article, and La Barra Payan tradition you portray is 100% correct and accurate. It is a vital point in Santo Domingo night and day lifestyle.

Good job.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Yeah thanks and kudos to everyone that contributed, I know it took a lot of work!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I couldnt find any details on foreign embassies or who to contact if you find your self in trouble, would this be a good thing to add to future editions - emergency telephone numbers etc, I may have missed them

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I couldnt find any details on foreign embassies or who to contact if you find your self in trouble, would this be a good thing to add to future editions - emergency telephone numbers etc, I may have missed them

We are in the middle of updating the list, confirming numbers etc.
It will be in the directory section later today.

dr1guide Directory

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Looks great Rob, but unless I missed it, I didn't see any hotels listed in the directory...?

Nope.

What you see online is the content from the print version.

We didn't include hotels as most people will see the printed guide when they are actually in Santo Domingo.

Eventually the directory will be updated and the hotel reservations and questions will be handled by dr1travel.com

dr1travel is also a new product and a first for the Dominican Republic.
It's in "beta" but will be available very soon for reservations etc.

dr1travel also gives you an insight into the "coming soon" new look of dr1.com ;)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Did you want the comments in here or on the comments section of the page?

Here goes:

The Nightlife section is pretty good, except for a couple omissions, one very obvious hot spot being Dock. But you could also ad Nu-Bar, Le Suite, Amika, etc. Asides from that some more descriptions would be good, like daily happy hour 5-8pm - LED open after hours - Cinema Cafe, Live Jazz on thursdays, ect. Links to the bars websites could also be a good idea. And also adding Gentleman's clubs, i.e. Doll House, would be good to include aswell. I guess this all depends on what you recieve in return, but for a "complete" guide, these additions would make it better. Links to nighlife pages, like 809k.com wouldn't be bad either. I'd be happy to add some more input if you wish.

btw I pitched the idea of putting an ad in the guide to Cinema Cafe's owner, as tourist spending would probably pay for the add many times over, not sure if he went for it.

Definately a great project, I'm sure it will be succesful.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Woops, sorry, I hadn't checked the directory, I had only checked the "Nightlife" section. As for the directory, I think that a grouped "night spots" link with subsections for Bars, Clubs, Lounges would be better than 3 separate links for each. Google maps links would be great too - as the city isn't the most user friendly directions wise.

If you don't already have a facebook fan page, you should create one - either a DR1 fanpage, DR1 Guide fanpage or both. You can direct traffic to the site from facebook, and from the site to facebook - You will slowly but surely develope a following, and can send easy, targeted updates to everyone, with images, events etc. It's a little more comprehensive than twitter.

I don't know how well a GPS would work in the DR, but I can't imagine its too far off with the developement of google maps. Perhaps an DR1 iPhone app, that plugs into GPS coordinates, telling iPhone users which, Bars, Hotels, Restaurants, Clubs, etc. are in their vicinity - maybe someone is already on it, but you could pioneer the english version.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Robert

Love the cover and the colors - the cleanness of it - feels alive - makes me want to read it!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What you see now is the print content. Over time the online content will be slowly beefed up as we are not constrained by page count and print costs :)

Keep the feedback coming, good or bad, we love it!
Ultimately it makes the guide a better product.

Cinema Cafe's? No idea, will ask Thomas that handles sales.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I was talking about the web content, I see it can be confusing wether people are talking about web vs. guide.

As for the guide. It looks good, one observation for the pdf, 2 pages, the backside of the coupons could be removed for easier reading, and a slightly faster loading time.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I was talking about the web content, I see it can be confusing wether people are talking about web vs. guide.

As for the guide. It looks good, one observation for the pdf, 2 pages, the backside of the coupons could be removed for easier reading, and a slightly faster loading time.

That's a legacy of the print version that's being distrubuted all over Santo Domingo as I type this :)

The online pdf is the print version.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
will there be a gay section - I know places used to open and close quite rapidly, but a few have been around for quite a while now

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
The guide itself does not have a gay section but we did mention Cha in our Top Nightlife spots as I personally think it is the best club in Santo Domingo. There are many other spots but please look to the website where we will be beefing up our Directory Listings and adding cool articles along the way.

Thank you for all the feedback. Please remember that there is only so much you can fit in a free tourist guide. There's always "more" that could have been added but that is why we have a website with unlimited space. In the space we had, our goal was to highlight Santo Domingo so visitors can experience the capital more as a local and less as a tourist.

Thank you for the positive feedback Juan, unfortunately we missed you but when you need more guides just call.

Our guide is on Facebook, you can find our group by searching dr1guide Santo Domingo.

As Robert said, any feedback is great (good or bad) and is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Woops, sorry, I hadn't checked the directory, I had only checked the "Nightlife" section. As for the directory, I think that a grouped "night spots" link with subsections for Bars, Clubs, Lounges would be better than 3 separate links for each. Google maps links would be great too - as the city isn't the most user friendly directions wise.

If you don't already have a facebook fan page, you should create one - either a DR1 fanpage, DR1 Guide fanpage or both. You can direct traffic to the site from facebook, and from the site to facebook - You will slowly but surely develope a following, and can send easy, targeted updates to everyone, with images, events etc. It's a little more comprehensive than twitter.

I don't know how well a GPS would work in the DR, but I can't imagine its too far off with the developement of google maps. Perhaps an DR1 iPhone app, that plugs into GPS coordinates, telling iPhone users which, Bars, Hotels, Restaurants, Clubs, etc. are in their vicinity - maybe someone is already on it, but you could pioneer the english version.

We have a Facebook group and that will be added to the site on the weekend.

dr1guide Santo Domingo | Facebook

You can see our Twitter feed on all pages.

Our Directory and Events section has Google maps built in and it's working.
As I'm sure you're aware, some businesses here don't even know their own street address, so Google has trouble picking these up, but we are slowly adding these in manually. I'm pretty sure this is another first for a website in the Dominican Republic, Google maps integration.

iPhone app and ready is on the way :)

See attached screens below of the maps integration.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Awesome! Looks like things are coming along well. btw I linked the page on Facebook, it should reach 5000+ ;)