Jetblue totally revamping frequent flyer program!

edm7583

May 29, 2007
The thing is I haven't decided if its for the better or worse :ermm:

Old system: Earn points based on flight distance. Short, Medium, or Long flights earn 2,4,6, points, respectively. If you book the flight on jetblue.com the points are doubled.
Example: JFK-SDQ round trip is 24 points (6 points each way is 12 then it's doubled for booking on the website)

The points must be used in one year or they will expire. Once you have 100 points in a 12 month period, you automatically yet an award for a round trip flight to anywhere JetBlue flies, and you have another year to use the award.

New System: New point system based not on the distance of the flight, but based on the price you paid for the ticket (before tax). Every dollar of your base airfare will earn you 6 points.
Example: JFK-STI $159 fare each way= 1908 points

Points will never expire! (As long as you continue to earn points at least once a year)

Once you reach certain number of points in your account, (3000, 6000, 9000, 12000 points) they will give you bonus points of 500, 1000, 2000, and 4000 points respectively.

One way free tickets will start at 5000 points. I believe the bad news is that longer flights will now require more points, rather than the old system, where the award flight can be used on any jetblue flight.

hmmmm..

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
If that's the case..............

New System: New point system based not on the distance of the flight, but based on the price you paid for the ticket (before tax). Every dollar of your base airfare will earn you 6 points.
Example: JFK-STI $159 fare each way= 1908 points

..............shouldn't that be a total of 908 points??????

or is there a 1000 bonus floating around somewhere?

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
actually i think it was 3 points and was doubled to 6 points for internet reservations from jfk-sti,12 points round trip not 24....unless i was getting shirt changed all this time?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The old True Blue program you accrued 24 points on an internet booked round trip, 100 got you a free tickee.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
One feature I prefer with the new program is that the points dont expire. If one travels frequently its not as big of a deal but still nice to no you are not losing.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Under the old system, all JFK to DR flights are 6 points each way, Florida-DR flights get 4 points each way, and San Juan -SDQ gets 2 points each way (all are doubled when booked on Jetblue.com)

To clarify, the new system will be 3 miles for every fare dollar (excluding tax), which is doubled to 6 if you book on Jetblue.com (you get even more if you have their AMEX card and book on jetblue.com and pay with that card)

In my example, a $159 each way fare JFK-STI would be 1908 points for round trip travel, based on booking the ticket on the website. (318X6)

I think it will end up being a lousy deal. The only redeeming feature is that the points won't expire unless there is 12 months without any activity. Apart from that, I think award tickets will be much harder to get.

Plus, nearly every other airline calculates frequent flyer awards based on miles traveled. This will be based on the actual amount of money you are forking over. I know when I fly AA from MIA-POP, for example, I will get 746 miles whether my base fare is $80 or $800. as almost all the coach fare classes accrue 100% mileage. And with JetBlue, A flight from JFK to SDQ will get you 12 points when booked online, no matter how much or how little you paid. Now, it will be all about the money. ( I sure hope the other airlines are not paying too much attention)

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Also for clarification................

Under the old system, all JFK to DR flights are 6 points each way, Florida-DR flights get 4 points each way, and San Juan -SDQ gets 2 points each way (all are doubled when booked on Jetblue.com)

To clarify, the new system will be 3 miles for every fare dollar (excluding tax), which is doubled to 6 if you book on Jetblue.com (you get even more if you have their AMEX card and book on jetblue.com and pay with that card)

In my example, a $159 each way fare JFK-STI would be 1908 points for round trip travel, based on booking the ticket on the website. (318X6)

I think it will end up being a lousy deal. The only redeeming feature is that the points won't expire unless there is 12 months without any activity. Apart from that, I think award tickets will be much harder to get.

Plus, nearly every other airline calculates frequent flyer awards based on miles traveled. This will be based on the actual amount of money you are forking over. I know when I fly AA from MIA-POP, for example, I will get 746 miles whether my base fare is $80 or $800. as almost all the coach fare classes accrue 100% mileage. And with JetBlue, A flight from JFK to SDQ will get you 12 points when booked online, no matter how much or how little you paid. Now, it will be all about the money. ( I sure hope the other airlines are not paying too much attention)

IF you have a JetBlue credit card..............your points DID NOT expire under the old plan...............you did not have to USE that credit card for payment....just have one...........and you also earned points on the credit card usage also.......

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Yes, the credit card is great if one CAN apply....unfortunately, it excludes Canadians as it wont let you apply from a non-US address:tired:.

I have taken this up with them, but to no avail thus far.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Even with the Amex Jet Blue card, you are right your points don't expire. However, your award does expire - it's only good for one year. That's under the old plan.

I like that the new plan has awards not expiring - sometimes it's a better deal to buy the ticket than to use the award unless you're forced to b/c it's going to expire.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
More Award Seats

If the new system frees up more award seats to the DR then i like it. 2 flights (48 points) and the Jetblue amex usage gets me a free flight a year but either have to book many months ahead or be flexible.

Does anyone know if they will have "any time " seats for extra points. Like to hit the DR on a few days notice. AA has this option and is worth it when it comes to last minute travel. That is ofcourse if you have the miles to do so.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I get a free flight from Jet Blue approximately every 2.5 months. I think I will be jipped with the new system, as it depends on how much you spend and sometimes I buy my tickets way in advance and get them cheaper. But I also thought that there were supposed to be no blackout dates with the new system, maybe I am mistaken.
SHALENA

tushar9

Aug 12, 2010
frequent flyer program is one of the mostly used program by regular flyers. well in this program you can earn points on how much miles you fly kilometers, points, segments are the base thing to count points.