Advice needed

julio Pepe

Aug 2, 2009
I will be moving to DR in early 2010. I am going to open a Colmado in the Santiago area. I do have family that are living in this area and they are very happy that this is happening. I am a US citizen but am a naturally born Dominican.
my question is, Does anyone have any advice for me as to what I have to look out for.

Thanks
Julio Pepe

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Everything!
EDE-Norte
DGII
Ayuntamiento
IDSS

Just for starters...

I would go very slow on this or you could lose all of your hard earned money.

there used to be three or four colmados in Los Jardines, now there is just one (with four locations, all owned by the same guy) and their prices are higher than El Nacional which us just a few blocks away ($20 for $18 package of chips; $30 for a $25 Coke; $50 for a $35 package of Club Social crackers, etc..) all for the privilege of corner store convenience and "delivery"...

So go slow..and good luck...

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I own a colmado in Juan Dolio. Main issues to watch out for - apart from those HB mentions are:

hands in the till
many people expect credit - and then disappear without paying esp ex pats
vast difference in cost from different suppliers

If you have any specific questions then pm me

matilda

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
When you're ready to look for potential areas let me know, I live on the Tamboril side of town. I know the area well and have a friend who is a realtor too.

You will need a family member to run the cash register and delivery and ice are a must.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
When you're ready to look for potential areas let me know, I live on the Tamboril side of town. I know the area well and have a friend who is a realtor too.

You will need a family member to run the cash register and delivery and ice are a must.

And so is a planta

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I will be moving to DR in early 2010. I am going to open a Colmado in the Santiago area. I do have family that are living in this area and they are very happy that this is happening. I am a US citizen but am a naturally born Dominican.
my question is, Does anyone have any advice for me as to what I have to look out for.
Thanks
Julio Pepe
I bet they are happy, FREE Food, Beer, plus Free Soft Drinks and Snacks for the family kids !!!!

You will need to be VERY careful as many will expect freebies from Mr. Rich from the States.
After you do this and then return to the States, be sure to tell us "What went wrong!".

Colmados in Santiago are on about every corner.
You will find "One", and many times "Two", even three sometimes.

You will make your Dominican family very happy tho!

SantiagoDR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You guys are giving a bad name to all Dominicans by insinuating that even family members can't be trusted. I haven't found this to be the case, rather have found the opposite to be true.

No se apure Sr Julio, le tenemos pendiente.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You guys are giving a bad name to all Dominicans by insinuating that even family members can't be trusted. I haven't found this to be the case, rather have found the opposite to be true.

I know family members can't be trusted.
I guess I forgot to turn off my Skil Rotary Saw and it rolled out of the house by itself.
Wake up to the real World.

What else can I say, I speak from experience!
My personal experiences and experiences of some of my friends.

Is that "Better" Chip?

Do we ALWAYS have to:
.... clarify our comments to the umpteen degree?
.... specify that my(ours) personal experiences does not reflect 100% of all people?
.... give real life experiences in each post?
.... give a percentage?

I bet I mingle with a larger percentage of average Dominicans on a daily basic than most.
(Matilda may hold the record since she runs a Colmado - :confused: lol).

Take it for what it's worth to you!

SantiagoDR

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
in my experience the worst were family members as seemed to think the money was theirs and they were entitled to freebies. We now have 3 very trustworthy members of staff who have been with us for years, and I would trust them with my life - in fact I did as two of them helped me to get help when I was shot.

The main advice i would have is watch the credit!!!

matilda

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009

Me lo quitaste de la boca.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
If you are in a business where other people are authorized to handle the money you are vulnerable.

Finding trustworthy people to handle your money is like climbing Mount Everest; bit of a challenge.

In poor neighborhoods when a family has a wake (velorio) in the home because they cannot afford a funeral home they will set up the casket in the sala and lock ALL possesions in another room.

Why? Light fingered friends, relatives and neighbors.

I have seen this with my own eyes many times.

Sure there are lots of good trustworthy people out and about. It's the ones who can't be trusted who can bankrupt you.