Universidad

rickymaron

Mar 22, 2009
In the DR, is there seperation between the Universidads as here in the states(Ivy leauge versus State colleges) are there community colleges in DR?
Where are the Universidads located,in the or outskirts of towns/cities?Going away to a 4year,is it the same in the DR,do students leave home to board at school?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In the DR, is there seperation between the Universidads as here in the states(Ivy leauge versus State colleges) are there community colleges in DR?
Where are the Universidads located,in the or outskirts of towns/cities?Going away to a 4year,is it the same in the DR,do students leave home to board at school?

There is a huge difference between the three or four top universities and the state university and the rest of the "for profit" universities. The most important one is that you can be flunked out of the good schools.

And, of course, the quality of the education you receive is vastly different. As for community colleges, there are none yet, but the current president wants to make some of them...

As far as I know, there are no live-in universities in the DR. Students from different cities will board in "pensiones" or boarding houses, or rent apartments. Some even commute 50 or 60 kilometers, and some towns have buses that take students to universities in other cities.

the most "rural" university has to be ISA on the outskirts of Santiago in La Herradura. However, it is just 10 minutes from town.

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Some even commute 50 or 60 kilometers, and some towns have buses that take students to universities in other cities./quote]

Slightly off topic...

I don't know how some people do that.:ermm: I know this girl that goes from San Francisco De Macoris to PUCMM in Santiago EVERY DAY for classes.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She was probably one of my students...
Kids come from Mao, Salcedo and La Vega on a regular basis. Also San Jose de las Matas, Navarrete and other towns.

HB

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
There is a huge difference between the three or four top universities and the state university and the rest of the "for profit" universities. The most important one is that you can be flunked out of the good schools.

And, of course, the quality of the education you receive is vastly different. As for community colleges, there are none yet, but the current president wants to make some of them...

As far as I know, there are no live-in universities in the DR. Students from different cities will board in "pensiones" or boarding houses, or rent apartments. Some even commute 50 or 60 kilometers, and some towns have buses that take students to universities in other cities.

the most "rural" university has to be ISA on the outskirts of Santiago in La Herradura. However, it is just 10 minutes from town.

HB
Hillbilly, Any chance of giving us your top rankings for Universities? Where do you think Uni Caribe fits in if you are familiar with it? Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depending on your point of view and career path:
top three or four
PUCMM
Intec
UNIBE
APEC
Maybe Unphu.

UC Santo Domingo

UASD (if you can handle the delays and BS)

All the rest as "for profit"....

In the provinces, Nordestana in SFM.

Sorry if anyone is offended..it's just my 2 ?..

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Depending on your point of view and career path:
top three or four
PUCMM
Intec
UNIBE
APEC
Maybe Unphu.

UC Santo Domingo

UASD (if you can handle the delays and BS)

All the rest as "for profit"....

In the provinces, Nordestana in SFM.

Sorry if anyone is offended..it's just my 2 ?..

HB

Not offended at all HB. Both my parents graduated from la UASD in la Capital back in the 80s. It took my mom forever to get her licenciatura in bioanalisis and my dad in accounting. It's just ridiculous how the UASD has never changed. Seems like the issues my parents dealt with back in the 80s are the same issues today (or even worst).