Where to buy a nice Birthday cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We have done well in the past at the bakery accross the street from Playero.

Bob K

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Panader?a Reposter?a Alemana Moser
(809) 571-3383

You can order a cake and get a soapie around the corner!

;)

Reactions: mike l

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
me too

;)Ditto for the bakery directly across the street from Playero. Their medium sheet cakes are about 15-18 US and they have been just fine for all our birthdays for the last few years. Always done on time and even the spelling in English has been correct.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I would also recommend K's coffee shop in cabarete....just west of jose o'shays....Kathy makes any kind of cake you want
hammerdown
ps she has slushies too....(aka slurpies)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, it all depends whom it's for first.
I tried to surprise some locals with a "German" Black Forest type cake from the "Austrian" baker on the South border of Puerto Plata's Central Park, with little success... they honestly confessed they'd preferred the colorful sugar and "cream" loaded square thing with the undefinable flavour(s) they sell at most super markets.
So, I think I just mentioned two places: Super Markets (POP's Jose Luis and Sirena) for the American looking "stuff" and the "Austrian" for the more refined cakes.
If you really want to do something special which may be a real treat, you might want to talk to Rainer, the German Baker in upper CostAmbar. He makes his own "organic" bread, cheeses, butter and marmelades. I would not be surprised he could/would be able to satisfy some "custome" cake needs too.

... J-D.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well, it all depends whom it's for first.
I tried to surprise some locals with a "German" Black Forest type cake from the "Austrian" baker on the South border of Puerto Plata's Central Park, with little success... they honestly confessed they'd preferred the colorful sugar and "cream" loaded square thing with the undefinable flavour(s) they sell at most super markets.
So, I think I just mentioned two places: Super Markets (POP's Jose Luis and Sirena) for the American looking "stuff" and the "Austrian" for the more refined cakes.
If you really want to do something special which may be a real treat, you might want to talk to Rainer, the German Baker in upper CostAmbar. He makes his own "organic" bread, cheeses, butter and marmelades. I would not be surprised he could/would be able to satisfy some "custome" cake needs too.

... J-D.

you read my mind.
i totally loathe bizcocho dominicano and i never ever eat it.
for our wedding we bought a cake from mariposa - the same place in POP you were talking about. chocolate cake with coconut cream, fantastic.
after the wedding my mother in law said she did not like the cake and she would have preferred traditional dominican cake. i lost my cool and told her that next time she does not have to eat it.
and i keep on buying it for our birthdays and other occasions.

in any case - this austrian dude also makes bizcocho dominicano. never tried it myself but it may be better than traditional version or made to suit both dominican and gringo taste.
rainer in costambar makes fantastic breads but i have never seen any cream cakes there. but i am sure he can make something nice.

la mariposa is on calle beller, just opposite cathedral.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
In Playa Chiquita in Sosua there is a lady that makes the best European cakes that I have ever tried here....and believe me, I know all about European cakes/tortes as I used to own a Swiss bakery.
This lady does them exactly the way they should be done...with very little sugar and fresh whipped cream. Her Black Forest are to die for, her Mandarin and Grand Marnier are delicious and when I was picking up the last cake we had ordered she let me have a peak at one that she had just finished, a type of flan cake layered with fresh strawberries, kiwis and other fruits with a lemon whipped cream base! I almost got my mouth into it before she pulled me away!!
Believe me, without a doubt the best in Sosua. If you drive all the way down to Playa Chiquita and at the end of the road take a left. Her property is on the right hand side and has a sign outside, (it is about the 4th property on the right). Sorry, for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the place...my mind is always focused on whatever I am picking up, not minor details about what the place is called!! Haha.
She is a German lady, speaks perfect English and considering the quality of her cakes the prices are very reasonable. The last Black Forest I picked up was 1600 pesos and was enough for about 15 peolple, (depending on how generous you are with your slices!).
Try it, you won't regret it!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
right now i am salivating.
sosua, here i come!

ps does this lady sell slices as well or just whole cakes?

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
K's Coffee Shop

I have to agree with the others who recommended K's Coffee Shop in Cabarete. Kathy makes all the cakes herself from scratch and I speak from personal experience when I say they are fantastic! And very well priced as well.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Slice of cake

right now i am salivating.
sosua, here i come!

ps does this lady sell slices as well or just whole cakes?

I believe that she does sell by the slice as well, but we have always purchased the whole thing...why tease yourself just with one slice? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.