cedula & residencia renewal

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Both expired a few months ago on my birthday. Some quick questions:

1. Does it matter which one is renewed first?

2. Where do I go in Santo Domingo to renew the Cedula? Is it any cedula office or a special one for foreigners? (if you know the address + office hours that would be great)

3. What is the address + office hours for residencia renewal?

4. Any other pointers for doing this painlessly in Santo Domingo?

Adrian

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I got this outstanding post privately by PM; I'm reposting it here because its just too useful; other people will need this all in one place in future.

The only change I would make is that you don't need a lawyer to help with residency; I've already renewed it a few times myself with no problem, I just couldn't remember where the place was.

Thanks a lot to the person who PM'ed me all this great info!

Adrian

-------------------------------------------------

I don't think it matters which one you renew first, but I did my Cedula first being that it was a year expired, then my permanent Residencia a month before it expired.

The Cedula place for expats is off of Carretera Sanchez and Av. Luperon, this is a large monument drive around intersection that Av. 27 de Febrero goes into. As you EXIT the round about onto Av. Luperon, going south; take the first right. I don't know the name and can not find it anywhere. The building is the last one on the left before you would have to turn right onto Carretera Sanchez, back at the round about. Parking is a problem. Enter the office on the right end of the building with your old Cedula and pay; about 1,000 RD with the fine. Then go into the door another two doors, south, from the cashier. As you enter you will see another door across to the left, go into the back room. They open at 8 AM and I think close at Noon. I recommend that you be there at 8; by 9:30 the place is packed. Google coordinates: 18degrees, 27' 00.22?N 69degrees, 58' 36.72? W

Residencia building is at the corners of Ave. George Washington (The malacon) and Heroes de Luperon. I did have our immigration atty meet us to expedite things for our Residencia. A one page of paper work to be filed out including Passport info and a new photo due to many have been lost due to a computer glitch. I don't remember how much to get it done, but I recall about 5K including atty fees? I would recommend that you get there at or before the 8 AM opening and be prepared to stand in a lot of lines. Could take you as little as 1 hour if you speak Spanish IF you are there at opening and can figure out which of the 19 lines to stand at... at the right time. If this is an expired temporary, I have no idea. You can Google Earth to find it at; 18degrees, 26? 40.11? N 69degress, 55' 36.79? W

Being that we go from Sosua, we take the bus then a taxi to a hotel and spend a nice afternoon/evening. Then have a taxi pick us up to make the opening hour. If you need both, it will be a long day.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
According to a friend of mine who was investigating to renew his permanent residency, the cost is now of RD$4,000 for the renewal, RD$500 for each month it has been expired and RD$2,000 for the VIP service to get it the same day. So in my case, I'll have to shell out 8,500 tablas for the darn card!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i don't know the exact price, but its not cheap. Consider it a form of taxes for living here which you pay every 2 years.

I didn't get up in time to go at 8am, so we went by at 1030. :) And, I was able to get half my residencia documentation done, and tomorrow morning will get it filed and finished. Then at 11:30 we went over to get my cedula which we got in 30 mins! (its a foreigners cedula center only, so we pay RD$1200 and its fast).

Overall I'm highly impressed, this is incredibly easy for the DR