Where are the best places in SDQ to buy fresh, well cooked, inexpensive seafood?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
My doctor recently told me that if I move to SDQ (Santo Domingo) that he wants me to start to eat more seafood to keep my cholestrol levels normal. I know Gazcue neighborhood really well. I need fresh, well cooked, reasonably prices seadfood locations in SDQ that will not make sick and be healthfuly for me to eat.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
All the restaurants mentioned before in the another thread are expensive.(you asked for a good seafood restaurant).
if you want to eat fresh seafood at good prices. these are your options.
Marisco Centro (they have several locations)
Supermercado Nacional and Pola (they always have fresh fish and seafood at the cafeteria)

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Just to comment.

Eat vegetables will also lower your cholesterol level, but I believe shrimps is not good for your cholesterol..
Any way , good luck with your health..

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My doctor recently told me that if I move to SDQ (Santo Domingo) that he wants me to start to eat more seafood to keep my cholestrol levels normal. I know Gazcue neighborhood really well. I need fresh, well cooked, reasonably prices seadfood locations in SDQ that will not make sick and be healthfuly for me to eat.

The DR is far from the best country for fish. Personaly I eat very little if any fresh fish from here. Canned or frozen "imported" fish. Hopefully it didn't unfreeze on the way. Also the fish they recommend for cholestrol is imported.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The DR is far from the best country for fish. Personaly I eat very little if any fresh fish from here. Canned or frozen "imported" fish. Hopefully it didn't unfreeze on the way. Also the fish they recommend for cholestrol is imported.
Boy you got this right....how can an island surrounded by water and reef NOT have any grouper, snapper, mahi, or other "real fish"? The trash fish I see hanging for sale is all bait where I'm from.....I have seen some rather large lobsters being sold on the roadside occasionally.

If is SWIMS, it's good for you...if it crawls on the bottom...."not so much"...any of the Asian imports (basia, tre, tilapia) are freshwater junk fish and do not contain the Omega 3s....in fact, the fat they contain is not good for those of us with blood lipid issues

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Island Fish

Talk about an island surrounded by water full of fish...... have you ever been to Ireland ? Another island.

How many Irish died of starvation in the Potato famine? Did they ever think of fishing ?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

So you are telling me the fish I eat at Maimon is imported? The cotorra, mero, red snapper?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Talk about an island surrounded by water full of fish...... have you ever been to Ireland ? Another island.

How many Irish died of starvation in the Potato famine? Did they ever think of fishing ?

Some of them only ate fish on Friday. :cheeky:;)

(You have to be Irish to get that)

"Aach, Paddy, the turfs all wet, the spuds are rotten, the chickens are all gone. Why don't you go out in the currach and get us some fish?"

"Sure and it's only Monday, Mary. I'll be after goin' out T'ursday afternoon then."

Back to the DR. It amazes me that there is no large investment in a commercial fishing industry here.

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
places to buy fish

Two recommendations to buy fresh, uncooked fish:

1. The "farmers market" in the fairgrounds on the Malecon and Nunez de Caceres. There are some stalls that sell fish, mostly fresh, and local.

2. Pricesmart - large quantity imported fish. Great to buy, put in the freezer and thaw as needed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For Real

Some of them only ate fish on Friday. :cheeky:;)

(You have to be Irish to get that)

"Aach, Paddy, the turfs all wet, the spuds are rotten, the chickens are all gone. Why don't you go out in the currach and get us some fish?"

"Sure and it's only Monday, Mary. I'll be after goin' out T'ursday afternoon then."

Back to the DR. It amazes me that there is no large investment in a commercial fishing industry here.

Seriously though, thousands died of hunger. They were farmers, not fisherman, I guess.

How could you die with all that food floating by? Really??

Correct about needing a better fishing industry inthe DR
I bet their techniques are out of date too!!

Every time i see the man selling pork or beef by the roadside or at the market, I wonder what could be done if those men were afforded a proper butchering course. Surely, their kill/product would have a better yield.

I'm serious about this... I'd like to find a butcher to teach these people the skill.
Tell me.... where can you find a good cut of meat ? I suppose SD has it but what about the outlying areas where its really needed?

Education is the key to solving most of the problems we talk about here.

This one might be an easy fix

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
So you are telling me the fish I eat at Maimon is imported? The cotorra, mero, red snapper?

Those are not on the recommended list for cholestrol. But I'm sure don't do any harm. As for me I've occasionally eaten local fish but I prefer imported. I can't eat a fish that's staring at me. LOL

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Seriously though, thousands died of hunger. They were farmers, not fisherman, I guess.

How could you die with all that food floating by? Really??

Correct about needing a better fishing industry inthe DR
I bet their techniques are out of date too!!
Education is the key to solving most of the problems we talk about here.

This one might be an easy fix

Re Ireland: History of Irish Potato Famine

The only fishing I see off Santo Domingo are a few small boats and inner tubes. I see NO evidence of any sophisticated commercial fishing.

Are there fishing fleets in ports around the island?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Just to comment.

Eat vegetables will also lower your cholesterol level, but I believe shrimps is not good for your cholesterol..
Any way , good luck with your health..

My doctor told me to take fish oil and red yeast rice supplements to keep me cholestrol at a good level. My cholestrol level (LDH) was only slightly elevated so I do not have to take those Zocor, Lipitrol, or Crestor pills. I hear those pills can make your muscles ache. If someone suggest a real good seafood restaurant in Santo Domingo, please try to give my its street address also.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Be very careful with red yeast rice supplements.
The FDA issued warning letters to several companies distributing these supplements containing toxic levels of Lovastatin.

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Be very careful with red yeast rice supplements.

Yes, I am very careful with red yeast rice. I do not exceed the dosage on the back label. Where is the best place in Santo Domingo to buy clean, safe, hot, delicious fresh lobster and shrimp? Of all the seafoods, I love lobster, shrimp, and crab the most. Good seafood may be hard to find in Jarabacoa where my lady friend lives.

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Senorial is in gazcue and though a swiss restaurant does have some seafood and decent pricing. Vizcaya is not far and has seafood as well.

Do you have the street address for Senorial and Vicaya in Gazcue? I know where Villa Hermanos is (hope I spelled that right)(it is like a cafteria many Dominicans go). It seems like if I study at UNIBE that I will probably be living in Gazcue close to school and close to all the action in Gazcue and the malecon.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Yes, I am very careful with red yeast rice. I do not exceed the dosage on the back label. Where is the best place in Santo Domingo to buy clean, safe, hot, delicious fresh lobster and shrimp? Of all the seafoods, I love lobster, shrimp, and crab the most. Good seafood may be hard to find in Jarabacoa where my lady friend lives.
The trifecta of seafood NOT good for chlorestrol issues....shellfish in general is bad for you if you're "watching your numbers"....land food has to run or fly to be lean meat.....seafood has to swim!