No way Jose!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Thought we would treat ourselves to a pizza tonight and as I was in Cabarete I ordered a take-away from Jose O'shays pizza shack.

355Rd for a large pizza, I suppose is Cabarete prices, but I thought I would sink a cold one whilst waiting. Final bill when my pizza arrived; Rd545 for a pizza and a beer.

Yes good ol Jose is charging Rd125 plus ITBS and Ley for a pequena Pesidente!

I know the Irish like a laugh, but these prices are ridiculous, even for Cabarete beach!

At least that explains why there are no ex-pats or Dominicans in this bar, strictly tourists only.

If you like pizza, try the new place near the airport called pizza loca. The same deal with a large pizza and a beer will cost you a third of that price and the pizzas are great!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thought we would treat ourselves to a pizza tonight and as I was in Cabarete I ordered a take-away from Jose O'shays pizza shack.

355Rd for a large pizza, I suppose is Cabarete prices, but I thought I would sink a cold one whilst waiting. Final bill when my pizza arrived; Rd545 for a pizza and a beer.

Yes good ol Jose is charging Rd125 plus ITBS and Ley for a pequena Pesidente!

I know the Irish like a laugh, but these prices are ridiculous, even for Cabarete beach!

At least that explains why there are no ex-pats or Dominicans in this bar, strictly tourists only.

If you like pizza, try the new place near the airport called pizza loca. The same deal with a large pizza and a beer will cost you a third of that price and the pizzas are great!

They are only looking for tourists which is their choice...their business model works especially well in the winter months.

Some people don't mind paying more for an ocean front eating establishment that has the best sports bar on the North Shore.

And with all you can drink Presidente draft from 4-6 daily for only $RD 225 maybe you would have done better as they also have the 2 slice and a soda deal !...Silly Shopper !

Cheap pizza is every where, so grab a donkey and hunt down the best PIZZA !....on your way to the Airport!

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I always thought Cabarete was busier in winter.

I can appreciate that businesses have to work out their margins in this difficult economic time. But come on, selling beer at over three times the retail price, isn't that just a little greedy? Your average pequena sells at around 50 pesos in the supermarkets, most bars and restaurants sell between 80 and 100, but at 153 inc taxes is just taking the proverbial!

I didn't see their offer of unlimited draft. But I bet there would be more beer content in my pequena than there would be in a pitcher! LOL

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey its all about location. I once paid 7 USD for a pequena at a Hilton in Manhattan. At least you have tons of choices down there as to where to get it from...

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Thanks...

A rip off is a rip off. Thanks for the heads up. I once had the same experience at La Roca after coming off the beach in Sosua...never again.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I had already had one 'poor' overpriced lunch at Jose's but, when my friend was visiting from the UK in January, she wanted to go there for her birthday as it has been favourite haunt of hers when she has stayed as a tourist in Cabarete previously. The lunch was mediocre at best - we had 3 drinks each (1 of which was free as she had 'tickets' from previous visits) and the bill came to ?65+ ($108 now but exchange rate was different then, so more). I am just glad that she was paying and I won't be going back either!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
It is just me or is everybody complaining about Pizza prices nowadays, I normally pay RD$700 for the Pizzarelli Pizzone (the huge one with squared slices) and I find that price reasonable as I and my family/friends get satisfied when we finish the pizza. It will get 5 people so full you won't want to eat anything else for 3 days. There is always Pizza Mania though...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
So many people post asking 'what business can i start in dr?'.

Jose O'Shays is an example of people with a vision that turned it into a success. No... it's not a place frequented by many locals or expats, myself included, due to the prices. However, they obviously are hitting their target market and making money on their venture while enjoying a good life in DR. I can't knock them for being successful...

I doubt having me there on a regular basis was in their business plan, but i do stop by on rare occasion for a reuben sandwich or some wings.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Jose O'Shays is more expensive than many places but what a location and I've never had a bad meal there yet! Tend to use it for speacial occassions or for the last night of friends vacations. I guess it's core market is tourists but if that's their business model I say good luck to them.

May 5, 2007
Have any of you eaten at Rosie O'Gradys in Florida (Now closed except Pensacola) Windows on the world, Peter Lugers NYC etc, all over priced tourist restaurants but people WANT to say they have been there. O'Shays does not sound like a place locals or Ex Pats spend their days and evening hanging out in (Could that be the idea of the owners?) but apparently do very well with the tourist crowd

Come to Maine for the summer and eat at afew Waterfront restaraunts; You can eat a wonderful lobster dinner with clams and corn for $15.00 at J'S oyster, next peir over is DiMillos Floating restaraunt where you can have the same meal for $35+ (I ate there several times until a friend told me about J's)

I have only once been To O'Shays, a friend was paying for all of us so I don't know if the price was high or not, but the service and atmosphere were great

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
The Raw Burger ...

Now it was a few years ago but I do remember sending back a raw burger. The chef picked the meat out of the middle of the bun and put it back on the grill. Ten minutes later he opened up the bun (now stone cold) and popped the meat back in so that the two bites from it lined up with the now charcoal bit of burger. Mmmmmmm delicious :0)

If it hadn't been so funny I might have lost my temper - It never got eaten, but of course it had to be paid for.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Now it was a few years ago but I do remember sending back a raw burger. The chef picked the meat out of the middle of the bun and put it back on the grill. Ten minutes later he opened up the bun (now stone cold) and popped the meat back in so that the two bites from it lined up with the now charcoal bit of burger. Mmmmmmm delicious :0)

If it hadn't been so funny I might have lost my temper - It never got eaten, but of course it had to be paid for.

They always undercook the burgers there so I always ask for well done so it is medium when it arrives.

Joses has a great location but it is not for those on a rice and bean budget!

I've noticed last weekend that other restaurants next to O'sheys also have similar prices but does not have the same atmosphere.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
They always undercook the burgers there so I always ask for well done so it is medium when it arrives.

Joses has a great location but it is not for those on a rice and bean budget!

I've noticed last weekend that other restaurants next to O'sheys also have similar prices but does not have the same atmosphere.

I don't consider myself to be on a 'rice and bean' budget -yet!!!!

Aug 21, 2007
Jose's has its place.

There is no better spot to watch sports. They know customer service. Every time I am there, the owners come by the table to chat. Their Philly cheesesteak is almost as good as what they make in Philly.

I know the restaurant is quite expensive- but really no more so than a sports bar in the U.S. And the Cabarete beach view is not available in the U.S.

I can't afford to go there everyday (nor would I want to) but every now and then, when I have a hankering for one of those cheesesteaks, Jose's is the place to go!

Oh- it's also the best place to watch the Steelers win the Super Bowl (again.)

Lindsey

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
$340 for a Guiness - not cheap, but I guess they have the monopoly on that one. Also if I recall correctly, their bar and wall hangings could use a dusting. There are better places to eat, and for less money, and cheaper places to drink with a similar view. However its not bad, just not great.

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
Jose's has its place.

There is no better spot to watch sports. They know customer service. Every time I am there, the owners come by the table to chat. Their Philly cheesesteak is almost as good as what they make in Philly.

I know the restaurant is quite expensive- but really no more so than a sports bar in the U.S. And the Cabarete beach view is not available in the U.S.

I can't afford to go there everyday (nor would I want to) but every now and then, when I have a hankering for one of those cheesesteaks, Jose's is the place to go!

Oh- it's also the best place to watch the Steelers win the Super Bowl (again.)

Lindsey

IHave eaten many times at their sister place in St. Thomas, Molly Malone as its by the docks to the ferries to BVI. Similar, in touristy but not as comparatively expensive as Jose's and the food is better there, better suppliers for what they serve. And Lindsey is correct on the service and Frank and sons chatting it up. The first time in Jose's Frank recognized me and sat awhile. The rest of you are correct on the food and prices. I don't go there to eat unless introducing visiting friends. I go there for: 1) the sports TV's, 2) the music, not the live stuff as I'm rarely out that late, but the stuff from the satellite radio as its mostly 60's stuff, yea my era and 3) Frank the bartender, not young Frank the owner's son, is always good conversation, the only guy that looks much younger than his real age (ask him sometime you'll be amazed) other than me (haha).

For eating lunch on that beach, I always go to Celina's.

To everything there is a season And a time for every purpose under heaven.... and they obviously fill a niche.

PS: Lindsey, I watched the NY FOOTBALL GIANTS win the Super Bowl there, ha. (how's that weather stripping holding up?)

Danny

Best place on the north coast to watch American football,prices are a little steep but I always like to swing by at least once every trip down for a paddy wacker or 2. Also Jose's has one of the hottest bartenders on the island,Mari is definately worth the price for an overpriced drink or 2. ;)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Best place on the north coast to watch American football,prices are a little steep but I always like to swing by at least once every trip down for a paddy wacker or 2. Also Jose's has one of the hottest bartenders on the island,Mari is definately worth the price for an overpriced drink or 2. ;)

I haven't seen Mari in the last few months. She got married and started smoking.

I will be reserving my usual spot for the Superbowl.