currently in barahona

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Thanks to all the southwest forum posters for your informative posts. I just got in to barahona. Staying one night at costa larimar. Will be heading tomorrow to perdinales with several stops on the way. Open to suggestions and must sees. Thanks to all.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Have a good trip

I think all of the most common "must-do's" are posted on this thread somewhere.

On the way to Pedernales on the highway, I recommend buying some queso in Oviedo, it's well known for its white cheese.

And last time I went to Bahia de las Aguilas 2 months ago, I paid RD 1,500 for a boat to get out there. Sounds like you have a car, if it's 4x4 you can make it out there on your own.

Have fun, be safe! :bunny:

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
And last time I went to Bahia de las Aguilas 2 months ago, I paid RD 1,500 for a boat to get out there. Sounds like you have a car, if it's 4x4 you can make it out there on your own.

Have fun, be safe! :bunny:

Was that 1,500 per person or 1,500 for the boat and all the people that can fit?

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Check out the fresh water pools at Balneario San Rafael, vary refreshing and free. Weekends are a mad house, but weekdays are quiet. And you can buy the bar for only 200k US...haha.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Was that 1,500 per person or 1,500 for the boat and all the people that can fit?

For the whole boat. But if you tried to take a lot of people, they would probably want to charge you more. Also, if you want to go really far down the beach, they will charge more. I swear, those guys make A LOT of money off of taking people out there, because it's really not that far at all on a bot. For sure more than they do fishing.

You CAN walk out there, and in fact I have when I went with a bunch of school kids on a field trip. But it's HOT HOT HOT midday and like walking through a desert, I'd say it's 5 km or so. There is a stunning view on the way, before you walk down the hill to get to the beach, that's where most of the high-up pics you see of the beach are taken from.

The least I have ever paid, about 2 years ago, was 1,200. Of course there are no set prices, so try to bargain. If you are going to rent a car to make the trip out anyway, think about this: if it costs more or less 1,500 more to rent a 4x4 than a car, might as well get the 4x4 because then you can go and leave whenever you want, and also drive from one end of the beach to another.

I also recommend taking snorkeling gear (if you have it) to Bahia because you can see some things, like the big starfish and maybe sting rays, a few fish. But don't expect to see any reefs.

They recently built a nice bathroom in la Cueva, good place to change before heading out.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Thanks for the info Minverva. The south, Bahia De Las Aguilas and Bayahibe/Isla Saona are places I have been wanting to go for ages. When I plan the trip I will make sure to ask for your help.

Feb 15, 2005
Thanks for the info Minverva. The south, Bahia De Las Aguilas and Bayahibe/Isla Saona are places I have been wanting to go for ages. When I plan the trip I will make sure to ask for your help.

If you can spend a night in Perdenales do so, Hotel D'leo would be my recommendation and then return back in the morning after a good breakfast.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
If you can spend a night in Perdenales do so, Hotel D'leo would be my recommendation and then return back in the morning after a good breakfast.

I second that suggestion

Another thing, last time I went to Bahia de las Aguilas (3 months ago) we paid 2,000 for the boat but there were 11 of us, they wanted to charge 200 per person but we rounded up to 2,000. Go to where the boatmen are, not to the big restaurant in La Cueva, at the restaurant they will charge $2,500 for the boat and won't negotiate. The boat men are a little further down from the restaurant (not more than 100-200 yards) next to the entrance of the national park.

This is where you take the boat and if you look behind, that's where they park ranger and the boatsmen "hang out" waiting for customers:

vZSUHy191963-02-1.jpg

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
amazing....

Keeping this short because I'm on a blackberry. Will post a full report with pics when I get back. Anyone who has been to the southwest would understand that words can not describe the breathtaking beauty here. Today went to the pools at san rafael. The beach was rough but I could never leave without at least wading in. Gorgeous. Hit los patos. Had some fried fish. Delious. Passed the green lagoon. Was surreal. Reminded me of another planet sci fi movie. Made it to bahia d la aguilas around 2pm. Took a boat over for 1800. It is everything everyone has described it to be times 100. We were the only couple on the beach. Enough said! Simply amazing and breathtaking. In perdinales now at villas d mar. Not sure where tomorrow will take us. Not yet ready to go back. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Feb 15, 2005
Keeping this short because I'm on a blackberry. Will post a full report with pics when I get back. Anyone who has been to the southwest would understand that words can not describe the breathtaking beauty here. Today went to the pools at san rafael. The beach was rough but I could never leave without at least wading in. Gorgeous. Hit los patos. Had some fried fish. Delious. Passed the green lagoon. Was surreal. Reminded me of another planet sci fi movie. Made it to bahia d la aguilas around 2pm. Took a boat over for 1800. It is everything everyone has described it to be times 100. We were the only couple on the beach. Enough said! Simply amazing and breathtaking. In perdinales now at villas d mar. Not sure where tomorrow will take us. Not yet ready to go back. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Interested to hear what you think about the town of Pedernales.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

Pleased you have managed to cover a lot of ground. Thats the great thing about the SW...it is so breathtaking we felt inspired not to leave a stone unturned.

Laguna Oviedo is surreal for sure. Words alone cannot adequately describe this piece of paradise.

Must've been a scorcher at BDLA today...but one of the most spectacular spots to visit...and it is wide enough that you would feel as though you were lone travellers, even if others are down the beach.

Thanks for reporting back and pleased to hear the trip is great so far.

Will you get to stop in at Paraiso on the return trip?

Enjoy the rest of your trip, looking forward to the pics.