Best popular music

Al Bundy

Sep 4, 2008
What is the most popular music in the clubs? What groups or artists are most popular with the locals in RD?

I ask, as I'd love to find some to listen to before coming over next month for my second visit. Didn't go clubbing last time, but might get out and about this time.

Al Bundy

Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the reply Tamborista. Unfortunately my Spanish is terrible so the website doesn't make things much easier for me. I am checking out the artists in the Bachata section.

Al

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am not good with names anymore. On top of that, there are soooo many local artists with some fame to it.
What has taken me some time to realize too, is the fact that music styles and versions thereof are classified in social levels too.

Bachata has certainly come a looooong way in the last 8 to 10 years to gain, not just some international recognition but also some broader acceptance among social differences in the DR. Yet, Bachata is still considered barrio music and suspected as a little tacky and at times even suggestive by those who believe to be just a tad "above" the barrio crowd.
I know some ranchos and even tipicos in town, which will not or only very occasionally play a "real" Bachata "de la calle", when they do not limit themselves to one by Juan Luis Guerra or Victor Victor. El Torrito may be somewhere in between with his more elaborate musical style.

Merengue... well, there was Merengue, Merengue and then, there is Merengue. Internationally (Cuba, Colombia etc) Merengue has always been belittled a bit for it's simple 1-2-1-2 rhythm.
There are basically 3 main groups of merengue;
Tipico (the old "accustic" country style), Classico (Salsa Big Band style, free of any suggestive lyrics, musically intricate, with complex chord structures way beyon the I, IV chord progression structure of Tipico and Modern, comparable to BIG Salsa). Classical and interestingly Tipico Merengue are both widely accepted.
Modern / Urbano which developed in the 90's, almost strictly adhering to a repetitive I, IV, I, IV chord progression, VERY rhythm focused, simple not to say primitive, with as repetitive simple/primitive lyrics which eventually turned quite suggestive. Now, it's turned into Urbano, with a strong Reggeaton influence. This later style is considered barrio, barrio, barrio. Girls dancing it (almost Reggaeton style) may be quite a show to see, but are certainly not attracting a good girl's reputation upon them by dancing it or even just let them be seen at place playing that kind of Merengue.

Salsa, although played in most all Latin countries, is not Dominican music. It is the dance music of choice for the mid to upper class Dominicans though. There are some, but far less real Salsa bands than Bachata, Tipico, Urbano, Reggeaton and Classico band operating in the country. Most will obviously also play Ballads, and Merengue Classico. I think that one thing which limits bands like these, is simple economics. A serious Merengue Classico or Salsa bands are basically big bands and will have at least 10 musicians on stage. Reggaeton, Urbano and Bachata bands often need less than half that to make about twice as much noise :D.
Although the basic Bachata dancing steps (and the rhythm pattern) of Bachata are the same as in Salsa, most Dominicans hitting the street on Saturday and Sunday have a poor record as proficient Salsa dancers. But some ranchos tipicos do attract people who do come to dance, really dance, more than pick up dates or waste themselves on Brugal rum. Surprisingly these places can be at locations one would not expect them for their proximity to some very low income neighborhoods.

Reggaeton is slowly taking upper hand amongst Dominican tiguere/tiguera youths. It has also been the one music style which has lately broken the barrier of suggestive lyrics (Dominicans, even those looking quite "loos" don't usually talk about sex in public very easily) with lyrics of blatant sexual content, even some disturbing content, like mentioning underage sex, criminal behavior glorification and of course drugs (the later is by law NOT allowed).

If you go "clubbing", keep in mind that as I tried to suggest, where you are shaking your legs and whom with will be read as who you are very quickly.
If you are just a bypassing tourist you are quite free to nibble here and there (just be safety conscious and aware of whom you "befriend"), but if you intend to make a living here, one has to be a little bit more selective, even though we all at times long to see them Reggaeton chicks move that booty.

... J-D.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
What is the most popular music in the clubs? What groups or artists are most popular with the locals in RD?

I ask, as I'd love to find some to listen to before coming over next month for my second visit. Didn't go clubbing last time, but might get out and about this time.

It really depends where you go.. I could be in SD and not hear merengue, bachata and salsa - just electronic/dance music and pop. Which is cool, because it's a good change from the typical music scene. But in general I prefer merengue tipico and merengue de calle music than above all.

Depends in the region too.. In SD, you barely hear merengue tipico played at the colmados/clubs, yet in the Cibao or Puerto Plata regions you will hear lots of merengue tipico - and you'll find that most local clubs cater to merengue tipico bands.

Colmados - anything that is popular, but mostly tipico, bachata and old/new merengues

Bars (depends who they cater to) see below

Clubs (low/middle class) hip hop, merengue de calle, bachata
upper/rich - pop, dance, rock,

As for salsa, when Jerry Rivera or other salseros come to DR, they get a huge audience.. but you can see that very few know how to dance, but they do listen to it though - sounds like me :D

Forgot to add.. Reggaeton is popular with the 12-19 yr crowd.. Like hip hop !

Artists that are popular in DR - Omega, Aventura, Geovanny Polanco, Tito Swing, El Sujeto, El Prodigio, DJ Jucrafi, Elvis Martinez, Anthony Santos, Banda Real, Kerubanda, etc.. And I didn't mention the hip hop artists that are gaining a lot of play !

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
In clubs you wll find that Hip Hop is without doubt the most popular music around. You can go to the traditional clubs, sort of disco in comparrisson to the real nightclubs and get the bachata and Salsa etc but it isn't clublike, pretty cheesey although I love them, no one drinks and everyone just dances.
HipHop in DR is massive among the younger generation, everyone wants to be 50cent and gangster, wear t-shirts 10 times oversized, jeans around the thighs and the steriotypical baseball cap with the black man 70's limp. It is funny to see sometimes. Apparently these guys have no money but they have all this HipHop Gangster clothing.

I wouldn't say that it's the most popular music around in DR !! Only in the barrios and with young people. Unless you meant merengue de calle - Tito Swing, Omega, Jucafri, Sujeto - This style of music is hugely popular all over in DR and outside.

sanchita

Sep 12, 2009
okay...sooo i was in DR recently ..and i heard this merengue song i think...and i cannot remember the lyrics at all, not even a word!! but the beat is stuck in my head and it was such a hot song to dance to..

so ill try and explain..its fast..and kinda goes like tananana *pause* tananana *pause* nananannana ... LOL!!

this is the best way i could find to explain...

while dancing everybody stops at the pauses...they played it at mangu all the time in bavaro..

so if anyone has ANY idea at all, please help!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Could it be To?o Rosario - Nao Nao Nao

Good guess!

Responding to these "does anybody know the song that goes:
Duro.....Duro.....Rompe....Rompe and then everybody hops on one leg at the refrain" song requests are a total waste of time!

tambo's .02 RD Pesos

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Good guess!

Responding to these "does anybody know the song that goes:
Duro.....Duro.....Rompe....Rompe and then everybody hops on one leg at the refrain" song requests are a total waste of time!

tambo's .02 RD Pesos

El Rompecinturas :D

I know, it's very hard to guess but I always try to be helpful ! It's happened to me in many places - but I tend to ask immediately :D

sanchita

Sep 12, 2009
Omega - Que tengo que hacer ?? ;)

And you can tell if the song is merengue or bachata !!

no its not omega..its merengue..i dont really understand all that much spanish so i dont even know what the lyrics are or what they mean..
but its kinda like the dude says something and then pauses...and says something and pauses and then the really fast music starts!

i wish there was a better way to explain this song...