FINALLY! The first flights into Maria Montez Airport

Feb 15, 2005
Yesterday at 1:45pm the first of weekly flights into Maria Montez Airport landed. These small commuter flights originate from San Juan, Puerto Rico and are scheduled bi-weekly.

Finally, one of the promises has been fulfilled.
Perhaps, just perhaps the southwest's time have finally arrived.

Feb 15, 2005
I think the important thing here i to establish flights from anywhere. As tourtist select the southwest as a plausible destination, they can select Puerto Rico (which is actually a cheaper) and take a charter over to Barahona. They instituted a discount for these flights (I believe $100 discount) and may turn out to be a better deal to fly to the southwest.

Feb 15, 2005
All-Inclusives are not what the area is being designed for. As a matter of fact most developers I know of are looking to develop eco-tourism which will allow the visitors full access to the local atractions such as: Pedernales, Los Patos, Oviedo, Polo etc..

There is not another region in the country that can offer as many attractions as the southwest.

Therefore IE would not fit with the development model.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Richard,

That is fantastic!!! However, IMO...it will be ages before the DR is viewed as an eco-tourist kind of place. If they can pull it off it'll have to compete with places like Costa Rica which is huge on eco.

Feb 15, 2005
Costa Rica is actually the model since the Barahona Cluster has hired Costa Rican engineers to perform the infrastructure study. I've spoken to them personally (cluster rep.) and confirmed this. They have even asked me to proved additional Costa Rican resources since I know alittle bit about Manuel Antonio in the southwest of Costa Rica which is quite identical to Barahona/ Paraiso region with the mountain and ocean geographical diversification.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
I'm so excited the flights have started - my husband's family is from this area and we had our wedding there and love it there... I just hope they don't make too many changes - its so beautiful and they did such a good job with our wedding and were excited to have the business. I have to say its my fav place on earth but its a long trek from Canada....