Orange

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Has this happened to anybody else? Orange gave my cellphone number to somebody else, claiming I didn't use it when I was out of the country (I've had the same number since 2005), but they didn't cut me off! The number was in my name (I didn?t by the SIM card in the street). Today, (accidentally I guess) I received a phone call from my own number!?! The people in the other end said they got the number a year back?!? Another way for someone to make some extra cash I guess. The Orange reps suggested I buy another chip, which I did, I bought a Codetel chip.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
If you don't use the phone for a certain period (I believ 2 months) they cancel the sim and re-allocate the number. I have a few friends/clients who leave their phone with me and I make a monthly call. They will also only let you register 3 cards,

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
If you don't use the phone for a certain period (I believ 2 months) they cancel the sim and re-allocate the number. I have a few friends/clients who leave their phone with me and I make a monthly call. They will also only let you register 3 cards,

My SIM was not deactivated. Re allocate the number is fine if they cancel the SIM card, but was not the case. We had identical numbers, me and whoever the other guy was.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Oh I see, I've never heard of that before! I've had my Orange chip since 2004 and not had any trouble, touch wood! I think I would have voted with my feet as well!

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I think I found the reason why my refill ran out that quick, I've probably been feeding these other guys using the same number. Is this a common problem? Any phone experts out there? I've had my land line given to a priest while I was away, but never heard of two clients with identical numbers.

Last edited:

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
This is all over at the end of the month I believe.... numeric portability is here and your number here is finally yours to keep forever...or until you don't pay your contract in which case they'll turf you out....!!!!