Taxi availability at El Catey airport?

Danishi

Aug 15, 2009
Hi there, i'm new to this forum and just wanted to ask a quick question. Me and my girlfriend are flying into El Catey (AZS) airport and were wondering what the transport links were like from there. We're staying in Cabarete but the flights to POP were really expensive so are flying here instead.
Are there any guaguas that pass by that head onto cabarete/rio san juan direction? And if not, is there a (reliable!) taxi stand at the airport, and what kind of price would it be from AZS to cabrete?
Cheers!

Dan x

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I am not sure how much more your flight would have been into POP but the cost of a taxi will set you back a fair chunk of change. (approx 3 hr ride).

I dont recall the guagua passing by El Catey when we went up that way but you could possibly take a taxi into Samana/Sanchez to get the guagua. It leaves this area around 10h30/11h00 and only runs once each day so not sure if your flight time would coincide with that.

The guagua does pass through RSJ and Cabarete so you could get off anywhere along the route.

Cdncpl

Oct 31, 2007
Samana to Cabarete

Have done the gua gua from samana to cabarete/sosua/pop...Was supposed to leave Samana at 10:30 am and did not come untill around noon....so as long as you are not on a tight schedule you should be fine...cost $200RD if memory serves.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
3 hrs? is it really that long? its only about 100 miles???

ATT00011.gif

On a dominican road with hundred,s of pot holes
You would be better off with a hovercraft

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
ATT00011.gif

On a dominican road with hundred,s of pot holes
You would be better off with a hovercraft
I leaved from Hialeah Miami at 11:00 am yestersay I got home today 1:00 am early morning in Raleigh NC, just making quick stop for gas and fast food. How long would be a trip same distance in the DR???

JJ

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I leaved from Hialeah Miami at 11:00 am yestersay I got home today 1:00 am early morning in Raleigh NC, just making quick stop for gas and fast food. How long would be a trip same distance in the DR???

JJ
probably never make it....
bob

vlokje

May 13, 2004
Depends what time you arrive.If your plane is in the evening you will have to with a taxi,if not you can walk to the street(1 km)nad every 20 minutes a guagua passes to Nagua,switsch in Nagua to Rio San Juan ,Rio San Juan Caberete,takes about 4 hours.
The direct busses pass by the road one at about 11,an other about 2,30 pm,
Good luck,
Vlokje

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
3 hrs? is it really that long? its only about 100 miles???

Bear in mind too, there is a scheduled "pit stop" in Nagua as well as stops (unscheduled) all along the route whenever people wish to get on and off the bus.

We paid RD$150 each way in Nov 2007.

Danishi

Aug 15, 2009
Thanks for all your help guys! We arrive at 14:30, and you say there is a regular guagua to Nagua? That probs sounds like our cheapest option, i don't mind a few changes on the way. I had no idea the roads were so poor over there, glad I didn't rent a car now! So I can just flag down this guagua on the main road outside the airport?

Dan xx

vlokje

May 13, 2004
Yes you just flag down the guagua.Coming out from the airport you want to go right,so not to the other side of the road,
Vlokje

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
I am not up to date with the new road they are building from Nagua to Las Terrenas, but possibly it would be an alternative to try to get the guagua at the other side of the street, means to the left coming from the airport and go to Sanchez and change there for a guagua to Las Terrenas. With a regular car this would take 1,5 hour from the airport, but depends of course how often and when the last guagua goes from Sanchez to Las Terrenas.
Just an idea.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Work advances in Nagua-Saman?-Las Terrenas road

I am not up to date with the new road they are building from Nagua to Las Terrenas, but possibly it would be an alternative to try to get the guagua at the other side of the street, means to the left coming from the airport and go to Sanchez and change there for a guagua to Las Terrenas. With a regular car this would take 1,5 hour from the airport, but depends of course how often and when the last guagua goes from Sanchez to Las Terrenas.
Just an idea.
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...ces-in-Nagua-Samana-Las-Terrenas-road-circuit

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
Sorry for wrong post, thought you wanted to go to Las Terrenas instead of Cabarete.

Very rare that flights to El Catey are cheaper than to POP, usually it is the other way round. Anyway, forget about my directions.

And thanks for the article about the new road!

Went from SD to Samana today, the road to Samana via Sanchez is as bad as always. And although Leonel visited Sanchez at the weekend to tell the people what he is planing to do for them (improved roads, housing, schools,etc.) they burned tires, blocked the road, throw stones and let the police clean up the mess. Sorry for bad publicity but they should have done that better at the weekend to adress the right people.