Mr. Lu Goes Painting....

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Here's some of what I do on my free time.....

Note:

A) It was private property
B) I asked permission
C) If you don't like it, you don't have to tell me about it

Enjoy!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YhMDuzOyocw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YhMDuzOyocw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Mr. Lu

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
BEAUTIFUL!!!

Loved it............

Bronx, NY 1975?......lol

good thing you asked permission and that you didn't have to hang from the side of a building to do this.

the video was very cool too.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I think it is a very nice picture. My son LOVES this type of painting. We started learning it from a street artist in Mexico. Do I have to buy him a mask to do it? I did not notice if anyone used masks to cover their faces while painting.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Do I have to buy him a mask to do it? I did not notice if anyone used masks to cover their faces while painting.

MR LU nice painting did you paint rocky,s bar lol
The fumes from paint are bad for you that is why you should use a mask

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Hey,

Not my work, but I am working on something similar. Something bigger, more like a mural. I also need to find a place. I could do it at the Metro here, but then I would disappear, never to be heard from again. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Alyonka, if you are ever working with aerosol it is best to work out doors and with a mask. The fumes can get nasty and really make you dizzy. I would also recommend rubber gloves and cotton on the tips of your fingers so your index finger doesn't get numb from painting.

On small painting, lay down a white base to work with and then a black base (depending on design). I did neither here, since I didn't have the time.

As for the video, I just wanted to record the design process. The video and special effects were just a by-product.

I appreciate all the comments.

Mr. Lu

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Fyi

FYI Mr. Lu,

The mask you are wearing in the video serves only to keep the paint over-spray from getting on your face - it serves absolutely no purpose from a health and safety standpoint. It is a nuisance dust mask NOT a paint respirator.

2eyi1ro.jpg

Here is what you were wearing (generically):

abcsafetyglasses_2066_60378320

They sell for as little as $.10US each when purchased in boxes of 50 and offer ZERO protection from paint solvents.

Here is what you should be wearing (generically):

3m7192.jpg

This unit has replaceable cartridges and filters and the way you know it is time to change filters is when it becomes difficult to breath through (clogged filters). You know it is time to change cartridges is when you start to smell the paint solvents (cartridge is fully loaded). This respirator is significantly more expensive than the dust mask above.

FYI.

Gregg

Last edited:
Reactions: margaret

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

FYI.

Gregg

Dude,

Trust, no need to FYI. Don't assume. I have been doing this long enough to know the deal. I don't have my mask anymore, my gloves, paint tips and all my other equipment. The place was in fact dusty, though it was outdoors, ect. It was a quick project and fumes were not my concern, so I wasn't going to dole out a pretty Lincoln for something so extravagant. Chill....

Mr. Lu

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Dude,

Trust, no need to FYI. Don't assume what I do and don't know. I have been doing this long enough to know the deal. I don't have my mask anymore, my gloves, paint tips and all my other equipment. The place was in fact dusty, though it was outdoors, ect. It was a quick project and fumes were not my concern, so I wasn't going to dole out a pretty Lincoln for something so extravagant. Chill out....

Mr. Lu

Works both ways...

Don't assume I care; it's just free information, and YOUR lungs.

If you in fact "know the deal" you will know that lung damage is additive and a quick unprotected project here and there can add up to emphysema or other lung disease in your middle to later years for that portion of the population who have a genetic susceptibility.

I'm far from worked up about it as in my 35 years in the health and safety field I've seen it all, but I did want to ensure you knew "the deal" as your practices on the video said otherwise.

Cheers!

Gregg

P.S. - If you had the proper equipment in the first place a set of cartridges for the project wouldn't be more than a Lincoln or two; money well spent on future health, but that's just MY opinion.

P.P.S. - Your health & safety = extravagant - you've always sounded so well educated and intelligent - LOL.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Mr. Lu-a few questions...

1) What type(name brand) of spray paint is available for graffiti artists in the DR?

2) Aside from spray paint cans, do you use other mediums like small paint rollers and stencils?

3) I know in many countries graffiti art is a sub-culture with their own underground magazines and communities of artists that branch out into other forms like gallery work-what is the scene like in the DR?

Last edited:

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
thats hot!

my hubby also paints...as do many of our friends...he'd been asking me what the scene is like in the DR (if there is any) but i never saw any in all my years in POP. perhaps elsewhere...where are you? what IS the scene like?

and LOL he only ever uses the average disposable dust mask too....same for our buddies and they are just fine. there are more pressing things to worry about than the occasional whiff of paint. its not like graffiti artists do it for hours and hours on a daily basis.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Nice, nice - but you gotta get the Krylon! I've seen a couple small pieces around, but not much. I have a few friends that paint, but have moved on to canvases, which they will sell for anywhere $300 to $2000+, not bad for something that started out as a hobby. Ever hear of Under Pressure? its a yearly graffiti festival held every year in Montreal. they paint the entire downtown up in a couple of days. People from all over the world there to see and participate.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Mr. Lu-a few questions...

1) What type(name brand) of spray paint is available for graffiti artists in the DR?

2) Aside from spray paint cans, do you use other mediums like small paint rollers and stencils?

3) I know in many countries graffiti art is a sub-culture with their own underground magazines and communities of artists that branch out into other forms like gallery work-what is the scene like in the DR?

Hey,

For this painting, I used a generic, off the shelf spray, called "Touch -n- Tone." Nothing special about it. It comes in regular and "matted" versions. If you use it to paint metallic surfaces, you can tell the difference. There really isn't much choice when it comes to cans. Each one cost about RD$90 at the local hardware. It's what they had, so you know, go with it.

I tried searching for Krylons and other brands, but this is what I had. It's what I have used on other painting projects here.

Usually, there are shops in the states where you can get a wider variety of cans and colors. There are also places where you can buy the can's tips. Using the proper tips can allow for better handle, and detail on a painting. If you know what you are doing with the tips they can help you add different dimensions to your project.

In general, I use a lot of different materials and techniques to create. This one was just a day to paint. Hadn't done it in a while and felt the need to just go out and paint. I didn't plan much, other than having a sketch in my head of what I wanted to do. But when I go out and paint something I bring a "design map", which points out exactly what I want to paint etc. If I have time and space I can use a stencils or acrylic paints, rollers, brushes etc. I guess what I am saying is that in the "artistic" sense you never limit yourself.

As far as I know, the jump from street art to the gallery art will never be made, in the DR. Partly, because there is no "sub-culture" to support it's development. Why? Looking at hip-hop "culture" through an analytical eye, you see that the culture and its varied parts were created in New York City in a very organic way. I mean hip-hop, it's 5 elements (rap music, grafitti, break dancing, DJing, MCing) and the B-Boy, goes back to the mid 1970's and even farther back, if you trace the origins.

In the DR, you don't have this organic development. What you do have is a replicate of a culture. It is a transplanted culture. It is imitated. Why does this matter? Well, organic cultures, developed through social "backlash," as a response to "something," grow within themselves and mature. They are based on something and are a response to a greater social phenomenon.

Organic cultures allow for innovation, subtle progression and a quality of self expression. That ability to express through art, no matter the medium, is greatly tied to an ability to think beyond the normal bounds and push the limits, beyond just artistic ability. It is a matter of innovative thinking.

An ability for these "sub-cultures" to grow, also greatly depends on an ability by the "housing" culture to accept this new culture or art form as something legitimate. If you go to Amsterdam, Marseilles, Berlin, New York, Cape Town this sub-culture has been accepted, to a certain degree, as a legitimate art form, and has allowed the artistry to move beyond a the walls on a street level.

I mean in New York City, even though there is always an argument of the usage of "public space," graffiti art has become part of the city's identity and has been accepted as a viable form of expression.

But the DR is far beyond that. Why? Maybe we can use this forum to have that conversation.

Don't get it wrong. There are some talented artists here, in the DR. Some fantastic artists, aerosol, or otherwise, that do some incredible stuff. I know some cats who work in a variety of mediums, who are, in my opinion, world class. Yet, that "cultural" aspect is missing. There aren't "Crews," "techniques," or magazines. There isn't a language or that underground vibe to it. I mean this conversation, can lead me to discuss my problems with Dominican hip hop and how I'd rather listen to cats squeal, than listen to that garbage. But I only have so much time.

On a final note, I will use this space to differentiate between graffiti painting and "tagging." Tagging is just a general reference to writing your name using aerosol or anything other paint. It's foolish, unless done with a real purpose. It is often confused with the actual artistry of graffiti art. Anytime you see some kid's name on a city wall, don't confuse it with the actual artistic quality of graffiti.

Mr. Lu

Last edited:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
So, if a kid writes his initials on a wall, it's tagging, and if he takes 15 minutes to write his initials on a wall, it's graffiti art??

To me, defacing public and/or private property is graffiti, period.

But each of us have our own ideas of art, don't we? I still think the special effects are getting better in your videos...

Thanks for the support on the video. Always looking for some good feedback. We all have different ideas on what "art" is. But, I do think you missed the point I was trying to make. Writing your name on someone's wall "just to do it," is defacing, I agree. Taking an hour, asking permission, creating something, is art. But we can agree to disagree.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu