Driving or Bus from Santo Domingo to Cabarete

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
I know this has been done to death but I will be traveling by myself. Normally when I arrive I fly into POP and always drive myself around Sosua, Puerto Plata, Cabarete and Cabrera so I know what the driving is like. This time however the flight was so much cheaper flying into Santo Domingo. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 4:52 am which is pretty early.

Being a solo female am I better off renting a car and driving to Cabarete because I understand it is a pretty main highway and not too many twists and turns. Or am I better off finding a taxi to take me to the Metro or Caribe tours bus station, riding the bus into Sosua, getting another taxi to take me to POP airport so that I can pick up my rental car?

If anyone has any other solutions please let me know thanks!

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
rent the car

I know this has been done to death but I will be traveling by myself. Normally when I arrive I fly into POP and always drive myself around Sosua, Puerto Plata, Cabarete and Cabrera so I know what the driving is like. This time however the flight was so much cheaper flying into Santo Domingo. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 4:52 am which is pretty early.

Being a solo female am I better off renting a car and driving to Cabarete because I understand it is a pretty main highway and not too many twists and turns. Or am I better off finding a taxi to take me to the Metro or Caribe tours bus station, riding the bus into Sosua, getting another taxi to take me to POP airport so that I can pick up my rental car?

If anyone has any other solutions please let me know thanks!

What a long trip that will be if you take the bus, although if you have the luxury of time you could take the bus to Sosua. I'm not sure if Caribe tours goes any farther than that. Can someone take you from there to Cabarete? A cab from the airport to Caribe Tours could set you back a few pesos too. I think the car rental idea is very good...

I'm wondering how much you will have saved after all this. Keep us posted!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This time I will say take the taxi-bus option for just one reason: The new construction going on in Santo Domingo's John F. Kennedy Avenue and the resulting detours. THat makes it much more difficult this time.

Otherwise, if you are a veteran driver, go for it..

HB

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
This time I will say take the taxi-bus option for just one reason: The new construction going on in Santo Domingo's John F. Kennedy Avenue and the resulting detours. THat makes it much more difficult this time.

Otherwise, if you are a veteran driver, go for it..

HB

This will actually be for Christmas time, do you think the construction will still be a problem? I am just wondering if the one way drop off costs for the car is worth the additional money or should I just take the time and pay for the taxi and bus. So you don't see a problem with my safety taking a taxi and getting on the bus so early in the morning?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look, by the time you get into Santo Domingo it will be around 7:00 - 7:30, just in time for the first buses to Sos?a. It seems to be a win-win situation.

As for the construction between now and Christmas, well this is the DR and you mist realize that things do not progress very fast. In fact, the Congress has yet to approve the millions in loans for the project...I would not bet on things being better on the route.

Long story short: Let "them" worry about getting you to the North Coast...You relax, costs almost nothing all told, certainly much, much less than renting a car...

HB

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Taxi, from Airport to Caribe Tours, approx. 30 us...........Bus, about 8 us and as Hillbilly said, people will be about.............

I did the opposite run in July, from Sosua to SD..........

When you make your stop in Santiogo, if you get off the bus, be sure to carry your carry-ons with you, because they switched buses on me , which was quite embarrasing...........