It's been three trips.. time for a report.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
Well i'm finally getting settled back into "normal" life after returning from my most recent trip to the DR.

first and foremost... i'm not happy to be home. my heart and soul stayed down there... hopefully they'll write often. lol

so, this was my third trip, and just as the first two, this one was amazing as well. my first trip was with my family. mom, dad, daughter, sister, brother in law, and niece. we stayed in cofresi and discovered sosua bay on our last day.

had it not been for sosua, its quite possible that i wouldnt have returned for a second trip. dont get me wrong, i had an amazing first trip. we went to jarabacoa, the leon-jimenez cigar factory, the larimar and cigar museums, the brugal bottling plant and more... it was by all rights... paradise. however, i was not real impressed with the beach itself. but then we drove over to sosua, and found paradise.

for our second trip we stayed in cabarete. the entire family came again. it was as nice as we expected. but the wind on the beach was more than we bargained for. thankfully though, it wasnt enough to keep us from coming back again.as nice as cabarete was, i found myself traveling to sosua almost daily..

in january my now "ex" brother in law (a regular here on the forums "trig") came down to sosua for his post divorce trip. for that trip he stayed at rocky's and had a great experience. (our first two trips were always large villas since it was the whole family.)

for this most recent trip last week. we again stayed with rocky's. only we stayed at thier condos at the trade winds complex. i really liked the condos. the pool was a nice place to lounge after a long day at the beach. and everything for the condo worked as it was supposed to... ie: hot water, wifi internet access, a/c and more. i had no problems with my condo at all.

due to issues with our airline, we had to move out of the condo and into the rooms in town for our last two nights. this room again, had no problems at all. everything worked as it should.

both places had thier advantages.

the condo is jsut outside of the center of town. so its a little quieter. its only about a 10 minute walk into town, and a short motoconch ride if you dont feel like walking. the downfall is that if you entertain guests, it can be a little annoying taking the motoconch back and forth too many times in an evening.

the rooms at the bar/restaurant, have a little more noise in the evening, because they are right there on top of the action. luckily for me, i wa sat the clubs every night, hanging out at latinos and classico, so the noise didnt bother me. but i can see where someone who doesnt go to the clubs, would prefer to not hear all the noise. the ONLY thing that bothered me was the roosters. i typically would finally go to bed around 5 or 6 am. right when the roosters decided they were going to start making noise. but, it was worth it having the room so close to the club. nice short walk, no motoconch rides.

food. wow. i love eating in the dominican republic. we ate at la costera one night... seriously, the best steak i have ever had. and i used to be a cook in a steak house ! we went there again and i had the fish three way.. it was amazing, but i wasnt a fan of the small bones. that of course, is not the fault of the restaurant. its just the nature of the fish. another night we ate at romanoff. wow.. SPICY!! i ordered something along the lines of chicken and noodles, thai style. it was delicious. another night we ate at orchid. that man knows how to cook. amazing food period. we also ate at pj's one night. chicken and rice with beans... mmmmm and of course.. steak and wings at rockys one night... and steak and wings at rockys another night... god i love the sauce they use on the wings at rockys. and i wish someone would tell me what they put on the steak !!!

lunches were simply amazing as well...

we were typically at the beach every day from breakfast till around 6. so we almost always ate lunch at the beach.

Big D's beer can chicken is simply amazing. and his ribs... let me tell you.. i HATE ribs. period. they are too much work, for not enough meat.. well..... derick made a believer out of me !! i tore his ribs up. down to the bone. every last one of them. i am officially a rib lover now !!

another day, we ate at the scandanavian bar and abbey road grill .. or something along those lines... i had a tomato/onion/avacado salad that was pure heaven.

for the life of me, i cant remember the name of the place.. but its the biggest joint on the beach, all the way at the end... two story building... the yhad great food as well. i was impressed.

and i even had a few late night meals at caipiro (sp) its across and down from romanoff. 24 hour joint. gets busy after the clubs close.. they have amazing soup and pork chops among other things !!

clubs... we had our little schedule that worked out well... we'd have drinks at latino's first and then head up to classico..

something about the environment at lationos. kind of had a "cheers" feel to it. and of course, classico was just wall to wall poeple drinking and dancing. the staff at latinos is amazing. anna is the best barmaid in sosua, and julian is a very attentive and helpful doorman/bouncer/security guard.

i was not at all comfortable walking past el flow nightly. never had any issues. i was just uncomfortable for some reason.

for money exchange.. wilson always took care of me. he's got the shop down the street from latino's.

another place i stumbled upon... the jolly roger. canadian owners. british staff. and awesome live music. not sure of they have live music every night. but the night i was there, there were a few guys playing guitar and singing. quite well too. i was jsut walking past on my way home, and heard the music. ended up stopping and having a few drinks.

well, i guess i should bring this thesis to a close. its just... wow.. there is so much to say. and when yo uthink you said it all... theres more... lol.

many thanks as always to rick, ana, and dilcia at rockys for always being so friendly and helpful.

ok.. i gotta go book my february flight now !!!!!

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
It's so nice to see a review on Sosua that's positive and you can feel the enthusiasm of the OP as he writes the piece; as well as visualising where you are from his narraitive.

There are so many good things about Sosua and it's a shame that a lot of posts only seem to dwell on the bad parts.

Twice yearly visits to Sosua will have to satisfy me for now until it's time to move permanently; but until then, thanks to the OP for sparking off some forgotten memories of my own.

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

kacuni

Nov 16, 2008
The restaurant at the end of the beach is called "(The?) Treehouse". They serve great fish too. :)

Mar 2, 2008
I completely concur with the responses of Reidy and Black Dog. A great report by Naptime, and one that speaks volumes about the relationship of having a good attitude and having a good time.

Sosua is a wonderful place for anyone wishing to enjoy themselves.

Reactions: Black Dog

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
thanks. glad you guys appreciate the report.

and catcher.. yo uare right.. a trip is what you make of it. go with the wrong attitude, and yo uwont like it..

i had my fair share of problems...

3 second mosquitos in the room.
someone stole my camera.
sunglasses were lost or stolen.
forgot my cell phone charger in the room when we left..

but hey, if i let such little petty things get to me, i'd never enjoy life.

not to mention, all of the issues could have been prevented... well, except the mosquitos :)

camera and glasses.. obviously my fault for leaving them out and not watching when i should have. cell charger, again, my fault for not remembering it.

if thats the worst i have to complain about, then life is alright :)

i love sosua. and i love the dominican republic. we already booked our rooms for our february trip .... gonna spend my 38th birthday in sosua.... this should be.....interesting :D

kacuni.. yes the treehouse is the place i was thinking of. thank you!